Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has a hard time removing the oil fill cap and what you do to get it off when it is stuck.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has a hard time removing the oil fill cap and what you do to get it off when it is stuck.
Probably cross threaded the last time it was screwed back on. Take care unscrewing it so as not to damage the threads.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not cross threaded. I am able to remove it. It is just hard to remove. My daughter’s forester is the same.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I just loosened mine for the first time in two years of ownership as I always have the dealership change the oil. It was difficult to loosen, and I attribute it to the large tattooed brute in the service department who changes the oil. It took both hands gripping it to loosen it, and now I've retightened it, but not nearly as tight as the big brute does. It's snug, but not overly so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree it's tight but not tighter than on other cars I've done. Normally I place a rag on the cap and turn with channel locks. The rag protects the plastic cap for marring from the channel lock teeth.

Vice grips probably works too.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I changed my oil today and the drain plug and the fill cap were on very tight. I am guessing I may have put them on with a hot engine and not it is cold or who knows what. I do use a torque wrench on the drain plug so it was not tightened that hard. I actually rounded the corners on the drain plug and had to get a new one from my dealer.

I do my own plumbing and recently replaced the faucets in my bathroom and bought a handy dandy tool for getting back behind the sink. Well it turns out that it doubles as a nice stuck oil filler cap removal tool.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Great idea!

Personally, I think the reason it's so hard to remove is from the rubber seal on the bottom of the cap. On our car anyway, once you break this seal loose, the cap spins off easily. I wonder if you could lubricate that seal with clean engine oil, the same way an oil filter's seal is lubricated, and achieve good results.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have tried to oil the seal with engine oil and WD-40 and it was still hard to remove.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.