Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally added an oil temp and a trans temp gauge in my Torque app up on my HUD.

I set the range from 0-300 on both, but was wondering what would be a warning level for the temps? Especially when towing I'd like to keep a close tab on them, but need to know when to get worried! :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
212degF, the boiling point of water, is a good warning. When we talk about fluids between the engine, cooling system, and tranny, the governing temp is the mixed antifreeze and water.

Theoretically, you can set the warning between 212degF and the boiling point of mixed antifreeze/water, but the higher temp you set, the lower the buffer of warning you have.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most modern trans will run 160~180. My truck, my motorhome, my Camaro, my BMW (gone now, YAY) all run/ran in that range. If the trans climbed to 200+ I'd be paying attention. Caveat: I don't know about CVT specifics in that regard, but I would think the general concept holds.

Engine oil on the other hand is commonly above 210~220 by design to burn off moisture. If it doesn't, I believe any moisture that condenses sometimes can combine with combustion byproducts to create acids that are no bueno. A good synthetic won't care about going over 212 for extended periods.

In any event, since you are going though the process to monitor these parameters to begin with (kudos, BTW), you'll probably be able to find plenty of research regarding pros and cons of operating temps, and I think you will find that the higher engine oil temps are common and by by design.

Let us know if you find info on the CVT though. Enquiring minds will gladly absorb your conclusions.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So driving around in Phoenix where it's only 75F today I had the oil temp go up to 214 for short while and the tran temp up to 201 again for a short while. Most of the time tran was in the 190s (so the 201 may have been an errant reading). Oil was mostly around the 200 mark.

I'll be towing my trailer again soon, but without much load on it (so maybe 2,000 lbs max) and I'll see how the tran does then.

Love Torque.... love it even more up on my HUD! :D

I'm thinking the 220F mark may be the hot spot ... but I'll see.

Anyone else with data I'd be glad to hear it!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does Torque have the CVT temp for Subarus built in or do I have to download the Active OBD plugin?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So driving around in Phoenix where it's only 75F today I had the oil temp go up to 214 for short while and the tran temp up to 201 again for a short while. Most of the time tran was in the 190s (so the 201 may have been an errant reading). Oil was mostly around the 200 mark.

I'll be towing my trailer again soon, but without much load on it (so maybe 2,000 lbs max) and I'll see how the tran does then.

Love Torque.... love it even more up on my HUD! /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm thinking the 220F mark may be the hot spot ... but I'll see.

Anyone else with data I'd be glad to hear it!
Does your dash oil temp shows same value as your Torque, at 214degF?

My engine oil been operating between ~195-205degF from December thru April

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does Torque have the CVT temp for Subarus built in or do I have to download the Active OBD plugin?
I didn't download/install anything special. Just picked the value from the list of data fields on my graph.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does your dash oil temp shows same value as your Torque, at 214degF?

My engine oil been operating between ~195-205degF from December thru April
I only have the Premium, so don't have the large upper dash display so I don't have anything to compare it with. But it did match my driving, so the temp would vary a little bit based on conditions.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Spec like stuff...

Sorry I am late to the party.

VERIFIED FROM THE FIELD SERVICE MANUAL FOR THE 2019 ASCENT TR690.
  • Low temp adjustment/testing range is 95 — 113°F
  • Low temp testing range 2 is 104-122°F
  • Secondary testing range 3 is 140 — 176°F
  • HIGH Temperature threshold for OUR TR690 is 243°F

Personally, I don't want to know when it's overheated already, so, personally, I'd set at 228-233°F.

But, at this point, you've got far more experience towing than me, and a far better idea of how quickly your Ascent heats up to decide on a good buffer.

FROM MEMORY:
  • Operating temp is usually 180-235°.
  • Low temp operating threshold should be 165°, just like for many Subie engines.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eggcellent! So I set my CVT temp warning to 230 to give me some cushion for cooling it back down if overworking it. We'll see how much it goes when I tow memorial day (3500lbs). Won't be towing my Mustang for a while and my trips to the storage unit for moving my house stuff are pretty light, probably 2200lbs max or so.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those who do not want to do the math, that calculates out to the following whopping amount of torque:
  • 444.75 lb ft torque safety maximum
  • 508.19 lb ft torque design maximum
That's a whopping amount of torque. My GMC 2500 had 385 ft lbs of torque. It could pull 14,400lbs (mainly because of the suspension). And it got 15mpg all the time (except when towing the 5th wheel, then it was 10mpg)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That's a whopping amount of torque. My GMC 2500 had 385 ft lbs of torque. It could pull 14,400lbs (mainly because of the suspension). And it got 15mpg all the time (except when towing the 5th wheel, then it was 10mpg)
That's apple-to-orange comparison. You and him are talking about two different torque values, he's talking about the torque added after the torque converter. You're talking about the engine torque w/o any manipulation by the torque converter and gears (i.e. tranny or gearbox). :tango_face_wink:

At first to second gear ratio, the drive-train can produce something like 600-700lbft of torque.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last night I was towing my flatbed trailer with a light load (2000lb total at most) and I was happy to see that the CVT temp didn't even go above 200. The temp was the same as when I wasn't towing.

Will see at the end of the month with 3500lbs.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Last night I was towing my flatbed trailer with a light load (2000lb total at most) and I was happy to see that the CVT temp didn't even go above 200. The temp was the same as when I wasn't towing.

Will see at the end of the month with 3500lbs.
It’s supposed to have 100% duty cycle at 5000lbs towing. By that rational, you shouldn’t see significant increases above 200degF for 5000lbs towing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do these trans lockup the torque converter? I certainly assume so. Trans heat is mostly caused by the converter when not locked up. Transmission through other non slipping parts whether gears or the metal belt add much less heat. Since the belt must change positions as the cvt operates, there is slippage however minor.

The biggest heat threat is the converter unlocking on hills and stop and go driving. The second lesser issue is if the trans is hunting. Probably way less heat than conventional automatic with plates that slip by design during transitions, but still there.

seems like once at a steady cruise, using manual mode for the ideal gear that will remain static is the ideal. No hunting or constant trying to optimize for mileage.

The converter is going to unlock or relock regularly on long hills or stop and go situations.

Keep letting us know your observations.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
There is no belt, that's JATCO, and those are unsuitable for this type of torque or towing weight.

The torque converter locks at pretty low rpm. I posted a link someplace in the forums. I will look up the specs next week when I am back at my computer.

The Ascent handles towing gears very well in auto mode.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I didn't download/install anything special. Just picked the value from the list of data fields on my graph.
Just out of curiosity, do you have the coolant temp and the "trans temp" displays on the same screen in Torque to compare them? The reason I put trans temp in quotes is I'm not so sure if Torque is giving the right reading for our CVT temp. I was driving around today (with Torque running) to test and the "trans temp" is always exactly the same number as the engine coolant temp. They went up at the same rate too. :confused:

A few weeks ago I was running ActiveOBD app (which is Subaru specific app) on a trip and the CVT temp was always way lower than the coolant temp and took awhile to ramp up (and ramped up very slowly), not super quick like engine coolant or engine oil temps.

I'll do some more testing when I have the chance. Just be aware that we may not be looking at the right number/temp (in Torque).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok this had been bugging me so I took it out for another drive with ActiveOBD running. About half an hour drive with about 15-20 minutes of highway. Got coolant and oil temps to 196-198 F pretty quickly while CVT temp was slowly going up to only 126 F at the highest.

Torque's built-in "trans temp" is definitely not giving correct value for our CVT. Use ActiveOBD instead for this purpose.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok this had been bugging me so I took it out for another drive with ActiveOBD running. About half an hour drive with about 15-20 minutes of highway. Got coolant and oil temps to 196-198 F pretty quickly while CVT temp was slowly going up to only 126 F at the highest.

Torque's built-in "trans temp" is definitely not giving correct value for our CVT. Use ActiveOBD instead for this purpose.
Okay, I've added coolant temp to my display to see if they match.

I am using Transmission Temperature (Method 1) as my trans temp. When I drive later today I'll see if it works and post back here.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No, you are definitely correct..... tran temp method 1 matches coolant temp, so not helpful.

Now need to see if I can actually get the trans temp somehow in torque! Think I found something. Will post back if it works.

Will check out ActiveOBD as well

Reactions: RobertD
1 - 20 of 88 Posts