Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

· Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
516 Posts
Good info, thanks. I owned a few of the earlier Beetles with the factory rating of 36 HP. Any incline at highway speeds required a downshift to 3rd or even 2nd gear, depending on the % of incline and headwinds. You sort of "rowed" the car uphill with the gearshift lever...lol. (y)
I learned to drive in a 1980 Vanagon camper conversion. Complete with a 2.0L air-cooled engine pushing out a whopping 67HP and 101 ft-lb of torque. We used to take it over the Cascades to go camping in the summer and would routinely drive on the shoulder with flashers on at 15-20mph getting passed by loaded down triple tractor trailers, never mind the regular stops every 50 miles or so to let the engine cool down.

Like it's two '72 microbus predecessors in the family, it went down in flames on a hot day in the mountains. Only took 3 before my parents finally bought a car with a radiator.

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,299 Posts
I drove my mother's '66 Bug (bought used) for a couple of summers to part time jobs "back in the day"...err...mid 1970s, as it were. It was a lot of "spirited" driving and I doubt the RPMs were very low during any portion of those trips to/from work. LOL They may not have been race cars, but they certainly were uncomplicated vehicles.

· Registered
3 Posts
Now that my warranty is up, I'm thinking of doing my own oil changes from now on. Did them all the time back on my old '95 Outback, but haven't done them on the Ascent yet. I know the filter is up on top, which seems super easy, but do you have to be careful of oil spilling out if you've just driven? And is the oil drain plug fairly easy to get to? I haven't even looked yet. And what oil are most of y'all using. Naturally want to get one of the best, but also would love to get whatever the best deals are out there these days. (I know I've heard people mention Costco amongst others). And what oil filter would most of y'll recommend?
Thanks!
I have started using Pennzoil with WixXp (or NAPA platinum). They are among the best in the market.

· Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
63 Posts
Here’s a little informative bit. Direct injection engines are not port fuel injected engines. The oil needs to act accordingly as normal oil reacts differently because of how DI engines operate. Here’s an article from engine labs so that I don’t have to parrot all the information.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
957 Posts
I use a Wix XP 57055XP filter online for $6/filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 from Walmart for $33/5gal. If you want better oil you’ll need to pay $10-$14 a quart for AMSOIL.
Is that price correct? If so, I've never seen full syn that cheap. Costco had their Kirkland 0W20 full syn for two 5 qt jugs for about $29, or ~ $3/qt. I'll check out the Wix filters, I've used them on other engines and they have a good rep. I bought 6 OEM Subaru filters on Amazon for about the same price. I'd prefer a filter with a bit more capacity, so I can add the entire 5 qt jug. On my first DIY change I had the car inclined on ramps and let it drain for 30 minutes, and the 5 qts brought it just a hair above the Full mark on the dipstick.

· Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
63 Posts
Is that price correct? If so, I've never seen full syn that cheap. Costco had their Kirkland 0W20 full syn for two 5 qt jugs for about $29, or ~ $3/qt. I'll check out the Wix filters, I've used them on other engines and they have a good rep. I bought 6 OEM Subaru filters on Amazon for about the same price. I'd prefer a filter with a bit more capacity, so I can add the entire 5 qt jug. On my first DIY change I had the car inclined on ramps and let it drain for 30 minutes, and the 5 qts brought it just a hair above the Full mark on the dipstick.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil, 5 Quart
Robot or human?

wix filters have gone up a lot in price since my last bill order. I buy them a case at a time. Rock Auto had them the cheapest when I bought them over a year ago.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
957 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil, 5 Quart
Robot or human?

wix filters have gone up a lot in price since my last bill order. I buy them a case at a time. Rock Auto had them the cheapest when I bought them over a year ago.
Got it, $33 for 5 qts, not 5 gallons. From everything I've read, the Costco full syn oil (Kirkland) is from Davison (?) refinery, who makes a lot of private label oils, and they have a good reputation. Same API and ANSI specs as the Subaru branded oil. I've never had a problem with Costco's private label products.

(y)

· Registered
10 Posts
I have been using Amsoil in everything I have that has an engine since 2012 with no issues. In the 2020 Ascent Premium, I run Signature Series 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil and Amsoil filters. For "normal service" they guarantee 25,000 mile protection with this combination. (15,000 for "severe service") While it's under warranty, though, I'll stick with every 6,000.

I remove oil with a fluid extractor so I can do a complete oil change standing at the front of the car.

· Registered
2 Posts
I use a Wix XP 57055XP filter online for $6/filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 from Walmart for $33/5qt. If you want better oil you’ll need to pay $10-$14 a quart for AMSOIL.
I buy Pennzoil ultra platinum from Amazon whenever is on sale for around $25/5qt. Wix filter is hard to find and expensive these days. Napa platinum is rebranded WixXp and I bought some a couple weeks ago go around $11 each.

· Registered
458 Posts
I have been using Amsoil in everything I have that has an engine since 2012 with no issues. In the 2020 Ascent Premium, I run Signature Series 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil and Amsoil filters. For "normal service" they guarantee 25,000 mile protection with this combination. (15,000 for "severe service") While it's under warranty, though, I'll stick with every 6,000.

I remove oil with a fluid extractor so I can do a complete oil change standing at the front of the car.

I've been using Amsoil since 1976 in most everything. From 100:1 mix 2 cycle oil to grease, gear lube, tranny fluid (when req'd) to oil ...as well as many other side products. I've run by-pass filters and done long drain intervals with oil analysis when I was traveling 40K miles a year to work and back. I use all Signature Series products in our high HP cars, but for the Ascent and other cars we've had before, I use the OE 0W-20 synthetic. I think it plenty good enough for 6000 miles....especially given the light use our Ascent sees.

· Registered
15 Posts
+1 for amsoil in all my vehicles, and recently switched from oem oil filter to WIX XP on my forester, after I may or may not have accidentally left the oil in too long due to a lot less driving all of a sudden. think something was going on in world...
started using it probably 15+ years ago after a coworker, 25 years my senior, told me he was using it in his old landrover doing 15k intervals. figured if it could keep the engine in that POS running fine for all those years, while literally everything else on it fell apart, it would be nice to have any additional protection it offered in my generally more reliable hondas, toyotas, and my first subaru.
switched my 14 subaru to amsoil at about 1500 miles, and will probably do the same if/when we're finally able to land an Ascent.
I still follow a more normal interval though. think my mechanic wanted me to do every 3k and the manual said like 7k, so I split the difference and do it at 5k when I normally also have to rotate tires....well, that used to be the case when I'd normally hit 5k miles before I hit the 1year max on the oil.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
I hope not. They're not supposed to.

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I hope not. They're not supposed to.
Hey, Robert, just saw your name and was wondering what's the latest in your Subaru story. I haven't been on this site as much the past several weeks, so may have missed an update or 2. Is it still going to be (or already has been) fixed, or are you having to (or already did) replace it? Been quietly rooting for thee to be a happy ending to that nightmare.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Thanks! Still waiting on the repair shop to have room to take it in, but, yes, it will definitely be fixed. :giggle:

61 - 80 of 80 Posts