Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

Super Moderator

Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
Unless an engine is seeing severe usage, I don't see any advantage to changing synthetic oil every 3K miles? Only extra work :) I've been using synthetics since 1976. ..From long drains and oil analysis to race applications. 3K is overkill for any good synthetic with normal driving. One quick oil analysis would confirm that and probably save you some $ down the road.

I wonder if there have been any oil related engine failures with this model engine?

I probably pay more for oil than many here as I use Amsoil with a OEM filter. ...but then maybe about the same as a 3K change?
Possibly overkill, but when oil & filter are less than $25 I see it as insurance. I am concerned about turbo engines with GDI and oil dilution with fuel. I haven't done a Blackstone on the car, but I can smell fuel on the dipstick, tho the level is normal and it isn't "making oil". Anyhow, I'm retired and my labor flatrate is $0/hr. (y)

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Possibly overkill, but when oil & filter are less than $25 I see it as insurance. I am concerned about turbo engines with GDI and oil dilution with fuel. I haven't done a Blackstone on the car, but I can smell fuel on the dipstick, tho the level is normal and it isn't "making oil". Anyhow, I'm retired and my labor flatrate is $0/hr. (y)
Hard to beat $0/hr, that's for sure! :)

Registered
Hard to beat $0/hr, that's for sure! :)
My labor rate has also been zero for over 15 years now. I pay my garage guy $20 bucks (was $10 till just a couple years ago) to lift the car. I bring my oil/filter. We both get under it and check everything out. He does the dirty work. Been doing that with him for 30 years... From changing oil to installing headers to new rear gears to anything else needed under the car. I still have a 4 wheel crawler, but its long retired as well.

More power to anyone who still enjoys getting under the car! I've done my share from the mid 60s on. From changing clutches and trannys outside in the winter (even one engine... 63 Corvair van) to all oil and filter work for decades. I'm happy to pay $20 bucks now and walk under the car 馃檪

Registered
My labor rate has also been zero for over 15 years now. I pay my garage guy $20 bucks (was $10 till just a couple years ago) to lift the car. I bring my oil/filter. We both get under it and check everything out. He does the dirty work. Been doing that with him for 30 years... From changing oil to installing headers to new rear gears to anything else needed under the car. I still have a 4 wheel crawler, but its long retired as well.

More power to anyone who still enjoys getting under the car! I've done my share from the mid 60s on. From changing clutches and trannys outside in the winter (even one engine... 63 Corvair van) to all oil and filter work for decades. I'm happy to pay $20 bucks now and walk under the car 馃檪
In 1964, I still remember replacing the ring & pinion on my 49 Chevy outside in the winter. The 90W was like molasses and almost instantly froze your fingers. I knew nothing about setting up a differential, but somehow the car ran for another year or so, blind luck I guess. If I knew a guy with a shop and lift, I'd gladly hand him a twenty spot for anything more than an oil change. A pair of rhino ramps and a piece of cardboard work for me. The important thing is to take a beer break while it is draining......... (y)

PS, I once had a Corvair rampside, wish I would have kept it!

Registered
51 Dodge Coronet was our 1st car (twin brother and me) Flat head 6 / 3 on tree / fluid drive

I don't know how to set up a rear diff either. You either got lucky.. or did know a little about it 馃檪 They can be noisy if not done right. We swapped the entire assembly from a 3.07 to a 3.45.

One of the reasons I switched to synthetics early on was because our cars sat outside. It gets cold here. I've seen 40 below. 20 below can happen frequently. Motor oil is also like molasses in that temp. Lack of fluidity on winter start up is one the roughest things on an engine.

Registered
OEM filter, Costco 0-20, Fumoto valve like many others on here. Rotate tires at the same time, but have no idea why I don't go straight for jack stands on the front. Save me some effort if I did. I feel dumb, now.

Anyway, I changed my oil a couple weeks back, finally, after taking 10 months to hit 6000 miles since my last interval. So it was the first time opening the hood since the last change and I was astounded to see a huge glob of "nesting material" on top of the intercooler. It looked like the Ascent ate a pillow or something. I wish I took a picture.

Registered
Anyway, I changed my oil a couple weeks back, finally, after taking 10 months to hit 6000 miles since my last interval. So it was the first time opening the hood since the last change and I was astounded to see a huge glob of "nesting material" on top of the intercooler. It looked like the Ascent ate a pillow or something. I wish I took a picture.
I'll have to say, I've never owned a car in my life that I didn't open the hood to check oil and have a look see in there several times between oil changes...and that goes for many cars that never used a drop of oil.

Registered
I'll have to say, I've never owned a car in my life that I didn't open the hood to check oil and have a look see in there several times between oil changes...and that goes for many cars that never used a drop of oil.
Agree. Maybe just an old habit, but at least once a week I check the oil level and glance around at other fluids (brake, coolant, washer fluid, etc).

I acquired my Avanti due to the inattention of the previous owner. She was driving down I-5 to LA @ 90 MPH while the fuelpump diaphragm was leaking fuel directly into the crankcase. Needless to say, petrol is not a good lubricant and the engine seized up. Upon teardown, the internals were nice and shiny, but the cyls had to be bored to .060 over to clean them up. Oversize Ross pistons installed, along with all brgs, valve job etc and back to like new.

I've seen more than a few cases of GDI engines "making oil" due to fuel dilution. It never hurts to check the sump level perodically. (y)

Registered
Unless you are looking before every drive or checking every day, I fail to see the point. The problem could have started after you last closed the hood no matter when that was.
A valid point. Some issues like a ruptured coolant hose or a trans fluid line to the cooler can cause immediate damage. Others, like GDI fuel contamination in the crankcase or a slow coolant leak, could be caught before damage occurs by a regular inspection under the hood.

Registered
Unless you are looking before every drive or checking every day, I fail to see the point. The problem could have started after you last closed the hood no matter when that was.
While 'theoretically' your comment may be correct, it's without a doubt the lamest thinking I've ever heard on the subject. It defies all manner of preventive maint.... on any form of machinery... From personal to commercial to factory.

Perhaps the nesting on your intercooler, blocking air flow, occured in one days time, but I'm highly doubtful

I'm more than happy to be schooled here if you can find a source anywhere that says its perfectly fine to keep your hood shut for 6000 miles at a time and check nothing on busily working piece of machinery. I've never heard this theory before in my entire life.

Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
I'm more than happy to be schooled here if you can find a source anywhere that says its perfectly fine to keep your hood shut for 6000 miles at a time and check nothing on busily working piece of machinery. I've never heard this theory before in my entire life.
I've been driving this way for almost 4 decades. So far so good. Hell, until my 9th car (roughly my 30th anniversary of owning cars), which was a leased Lexus and came with free oil changes for the first 24K miles (I returned it at the 3y mark with 22K on it) I even subscribed to the Car Talk oil change theory which boiled down to "when I thought about it and remembered to do it" which was somewhere between 2 and 15K miles.

I think "car guys" dramatically overestimate other car owner's interest in how their car works and what they can do to make it better. Most people treat their cars like they do a microwave or cell phone. I don't look under the hood of those either.

Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
T
I wonder if there have been any oil related engine failures with this model engine?
There are a handful of failure threads here, but I can't recall any of them including the root cause. This is pure speculation but it seems like Subaru works to keep that under wraps.

Registered
I've been driving this way for almost 4 decades. So far so good. Hell, until my 9th car (roughly my 30th anniversary of owning cars), which was a leased Lexus and came with free oil changes for the first 24K miles (I returned it at the 3y mark with 22K on it) I even subscribed to the Car Talk oil change theory which boiled down to "when I thought about it and remembered to do it" which was somewhere between 2 and 15K miles.

I think "car guys" dramatically overestimate other car owner's interest in how their car works and what they can do to make it better. Most people treat their cars like they do a microwave or cell phone. I don't look under the hood of those either.
Regardless of car guy status, Please site any source that agrees with this mentality? Show me the Car Talk guys saying never lift your hood for 6000 miles at a crack. It goes against anything I ever heard by them. Hell, I have a 25 year old Car Talk coffee cup.

Comparing a $40K machine to a microwave or cell phone says volumes. You cant be serious?

The one factor I neglected to enter into the equation is money. If money is no object, or of little object, then neglecting simple PM is of no consequence... No matter the end result.

Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
Regardless of car guy status, Please site any source that agrees with this mentality? Show me the Car Talk guys saying never lift your hood for 6000 miles at a crack. It goes against anything I ever heard by them. Hell, I have a 25 year old Car Talk coffee cup.

Comparing a $40K machine to a microwave or cell phone says volumes. You cant be serious?

The one factor I neglected to enter into the equation is money. If money is no object, or of little object, then neglecting simple PM is of no consequence... No matter the end result.
I simply stated that I've been doing it this way for decades, and I suspect many other people do too. I'm not saying it's "right" or "best practice", just that it's the reality for a lot more people than you think it is.

And the reason I didn't do it for the first 25 years I drove was because I could barely afford the car as it was, let alone the maintenance on it. I mean, I bought a 20yo Corolla from my BIL for $400 and sold it to my mechanic 2 years later for $600 because I couldn't afford the new head gasket it needed...I just rode my bike instead. I'm now at the point in my life where money is not a significant object, and I take my car in for routine PM on manufacturer recommended schedules...but I still don't bother opening the hood in the interim because WTF do I know about what's going on in there...same as my microwave and cell phone.

Registered

Reminds me of an excerpt from the Bugatti Royale owner's manual:

"If you experience difficult starting during cold weather, instruct your coachman to drain the motor oil from the engine, heat it upon a stove and return it to the crankcase".

I can understand the complacency that 100K mile spark plugs, sealed "lifetime ATF transmissions" and 10K OCI's engender, but old habits are hard to break. I like to pop the hood and make sure things are 100%. If my microwave had a hood, I'd probably be under there too.

Registered
I simply stated that I've been doing it this way for decades, and I suspect many other people do too. I'm not saying it's "right" or "best practice", just that it's the reality for a lot more people than you think it is.

And the reason I didn't do it for the first 25 years I drove was because I could barely afford the car as it was, let alone the maintenance on it. I mean, I bought a 20yo Corolla from my BIL for $400 and sold it to my mechanic 2 years later for $600 because I couldn't afford the new head gasket it needed...I just rode my bike instead. I'm now at the point in my life where money is not a significant object, and I take my car in for routine PM on manufacturer recommended schedules...but I still don't bother opening the hood in the interim because WTF do I know about what's going on in there...same as my microwave and cell phone.
Brings to mind the Mr Good Wrench saying. Pay me now or pay me later

I became aware of what was under the hood BECAUSE we had no money. The 63 Corvair van with 90K miles I took to Florida for the winter in 1973 cost me $280...and it broke a time or two. I learned how to fix it. That was in the carburetor days. We had to fix things ourselves or have no ride. Clearly you didn't come from that school. If you had you likely would have saved yourself a few dollars... Back when dollars were hard to come by.

Preventive maintenance, and knowing a little about what your driving, is an age old proven thing to promote longevity and save you money.

Money for me now is also not much of an object. I no longer lay on my back in the snow and 10F to change a clutch.. ..but I'll never not inspect the machinery we have on a regular basis.

Super Moderator
I'm more than happy to be schooled here if you can find a source anywhere that says its perfectly fine to keep your hood shut for 6000 miles at a time and check nothing on busily working piece of machinery.
To be fair to both sides of this request, do you have documentation stating the engine bay needs inspected more often than 6k mi?
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

The maintenance schedule has the lowest interval as 6k (3k for severe).

I鈥檓 not disagreeing it鈥檚 a good practice to check more often. In fact my entire job focuses on preventative maintenance so I completely agree with checking for abnormalities prior to them causing a problem. The are many items 鈥渨ritten鈥 in the book of good engineering practices

Reactions: Steve70

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
I also very rarely open the hood. Not my world. I do wrench on my Kubota, but do very little with the big vehicles. No real interest.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts