Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my warranty is up, I'm thinking of doing my own oil changes from now on. Did them all the time back on my old '95 Outback, but haven't done them on the Ascent yet. I know the filter is up on top, which seems super easy, but do you have to be careful of oil spilling out if you've just driven? And is the oil drain plug fairly easy to get to? I haven't even looked yet. And what oil are most of y'all using. Naturally want to get one of the best, but also would love to get whatever the best deals are out there these days. (I know I've heard people mention Costco amongst others). And what oil filter would most of y'll recommend?
Thanks!

Super Moderator
Filter: oem. I try to catch it on sale either at my dealer or amazon. Never had any issues spilling oil from the filter removal.

Drain plug: easy to access with a box end wrench. Double check you鈥檙e at the engine oil pan drain and not the cvt. Consider a drain valve to install in place of the bolt.

Drain access: with the Ascent on small ramps I can get under it on a creeper. I only stay under there long enough to start draining and keep my oil pan under the stream as the flow slows.

Oil: I鈥檝e been using idemitsu 0w20 for the last few years. The price varies so try to watch it periodically. There are a lot of other good options out there as well.

Reactions: TheRaven

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
I also use oem filters, I buy in bulk (6pack) from amazon or subaruonlineparts.com.
I let the oil drain out for a little before removing the filter with a hot/warm engine no issues with spillage.

For Oil I am using Castrol 0-20 or mobil 1 0-20 the fa24 seems to like either one no issues with consumption.

I also added the fumoto drain plug with the nipple on the end for a section of hose. I did that my last oil change so I am kind of excited for the next one, lol. I noticed some people mentioned having issues getting it installed, I had no such problems I was able to get it on with an open end wrench, at torque spec of gutentite. I have used these valves for years now and have had no issues with them.

I thought about this when I was adding the fumoto valve, suppose we could attach a high temp hydraulic line to the oil drain hole then run that hose up to the oil filter location, with a valve on the end. Then come oil change time, just open the valve, attach to a vacuum pump, and suck the oil out...I know a little oil would remain but a small price to pay for not having to get under the car or remove an access cover.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also use oem filters, I buy in bulk (6pack) from amazon or subaruonlineparts.com.
I let the oil drain out for a little before removing the filter with a hot/warm engine no issues with spillage.

For Oil I am using Castrol 0-20 or mobil 1 0-20 the fa24 seems to like either one no issues with consumption.

I also added the fumoto drain plug with the nipple on the end for a section of hose. I did that my last oil change so I am kind of excited for the next one, lol. I noticed some people mentioned having issues getting it installed, I had no such problems I was able to get it on with an open end wrench, at torque spec of gutentite. I have used these valves for years now and have had no issues with them.

I thought about this when I was adding the fumoto valve, suppose we could attach a high temp hydraulic line to the oil drain hole then run that hose up to the oil filter location, with a valve on the end. Then come oil change time, just open the valve, attach to a vacuum pump, and suck the oil out...I know a little oil would remain but a small price to pay for not having to get under the car or remove an access cover.
Which Castrol do you use? Seems like they've got quite a few, but the basic Edge is the one I'm most familiar with.

Administrator
I use OEM oil and filter. For non OEM oil, I'd use something from a company that tests out to have what they claim to in the bottle (I'm not saying that some of the Mobil 1 oils of 10 years ago tested differently for weight and viscosity...). And then I make sure it is API classification SN with the words 鈥淩ESOURCE CONSERVING鈥, or ILSAC GF-5. That's all I do... good quality aftermarket, meets this, keep record.

Font Parallel Circle Number Document

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use OEM oil and filter. For non OEM oil, I'd use something from a company that tests out to have what they claim to in the bottle (I'm not saying that some of the Mobil 1 oils of 10 years ago tested differently for weight and viscosity...). And then I make sure it is API classification SN with the words 鈥淩ESOURCE CONSERVING鈥, or ILSAC GF-5. That's all I do... good quality aftermarket, meets this, keep record.

View attachment 17570
What current top brands test out okay? Or where is that data found?

Super Moderator
I'd think it would be safer and easier to accomplish the same thing by sticking a vacuum hose down the oil fill line to suck out that way. I'd be scared to drive around with my drain valve open depending on a hose to hold my oil in!

Administrator
What current top brands test out okay? Or where is that data found?
I honestly haven't looked since I got my Ascent. Last I looked was when I was using Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2010 Outback. I found a lot of results like this, in the high mileage years of my Outback...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I honestly haven't looked since I got my Ascent. Last I looked was when I was using Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2010 Outback. I found a lot of results like this, in the high mileage years of my Outback...

Looks interesting, but wasn't Amsoil the ones who did the testing? Or was it an unbiased test and they were using those results?

Administrator
There was one I can't find where Mobil 1 5w30 wasn't testing as 5w30, and others. But, this was years ago. Can't find them when I just searched.

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
I'd think it would be safer and easier to accomplish the same thing by sticking a vacuum hose down the oil fill line to suck out that way. I'd be scared to drive around with my drain valve open depending on a hose to hold my oil in!
I wouldn't be worried much about an appropriately rated line with a plug or valve in the end of it as the oil pan has very little pressure. I have heard of vacuuming the oil from the dipstick tube, but I am not a fan of feeding hoses down into an engine myself.

Premium Member
Lately I have been using the Costco 0/20 full synthetic with a WIX 57705 because I have a local FLAPS that carry WIX (aka NAPA GOLD). With a Fumoto drain valve the oil change on the Ascent is really very very easy. I also put a little baggie over the filter and it鈥檚 mount in case oil does drain out I鈥檇 rather it didn鈥檛 wash any dirt into the engine. Maybe that鈥檚 OCD but it makes me feel good鈥

Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
Don't forget the tire rotation. I put the front end on jack stands before draining the oil. After the oil change is done I use the floor jack to lift the rear, then do the rotation. I also inspect each tire and take a look at the brakes, suspension, CV axles, and differentials (or anything else that might leak) while each wheel is off.

For the oil change, you'll get a little oil draining out of the filter when you unscrew it. I typically pull the drain plug, then I'll crack the filter loose and back it out (until seeing some seepage) to let it drain out too. Then I'll get the rest of my stuff together while the oil drains, swap the filters, put the plug back in and refill.

In my 2018 Outback 2.5 (and 2017 2.5 before it) I noticed some oil consumption with Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Pennzoil. Strangely, the OEM oil that was in the 2018 when I bought it as a CPO didn't experience any consumption. I might try the Idemitsu next to see what happens.

I've only done 1 change in the Ascent and went with Castrol Edge. It's too early to say if it's consuming anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
Nevermind, I just Googled it.

You probably found this link. Warren makes private label oil for many clients. Everything I've seen or read is positive about their quality. Costco had an in-store sale on the 0W20, four 5qt jugs for around $30 as I recall, that brings it down to $3/qt.

I found that if I let the warm oil drain for about 30 minutes (go have coffee or a beer) adding the whole 5qts brings it to just a bit above the full mark. You also have the empty jug for the used oil at the next change. My car came with 4 free dealer oil services, I've been changing at home every 3K miles, and the dealer service plus tire rotation on the 6K schedule. When oil & filters are this cheap (~$22), why not?

Registered
I've been changing at home every 3K miles, and the dealer service plus tire rotation on the 6K schedule. When oil & filters are this cheap (~$22), why not?
Unless an engine is seeing severe usage, I don't see any advantage to changing synthetic oil every 3K miles? Only extra work :) I've been using synthetics since 1976. ..From long drains and oil analysis to race applications. 3K is overkill for any good synthetic with normal driving. One quick oil analysis would confirm that and probably save you some $ down the road.

I wonder if there have been any oil related engine failures with this model engine?

I probably pay more for oil than many here as I use Amsoil with a OEM filter. ...but then maybe about the same as a 3K change?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts