Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my Ascent and my wife's Impreza for their "pre-closing inspection run" just now. We close on both tomorrow. I am impressed by both: No issues noted, and the Ascent was really a cool car.
As far as I can tell, these represent my (our) 24th and 25th vehicle. Fit and finish on both were superb. I didn't remember that the gray leather in the Limited was stitched in contrasting stiching, which is a nice touch.
Engine and tranny were great. I never liked CVT trannys, and I always swore I wouldn't be caught dead in a car with a 2 liter turbo like the Audis, but throttle tip-in was crisp and power was always available on demand.
I'm coming from 15 years in three Acura MDX's. The most recent, a 2007, was one of the first cars with things like voice activation and memory seats. It's one of the last cars with computer-driven magnetorheological shocks for variable ride control. Even so, the Ascent handled as well or better. Interior finish on the Ascent is certainly on par with the "kind of luxury" level of the MDX.
What surprised me was that I was able to use the Eyesight features, turn them on and off, use the (great) stereo, and just drive away without coaching. It's very intuitive. Of course, I've read the 500+ page Owners Manual, the Eyesight manual, the Service Manual, and the Body Repair manual each several times.
I'm also thankful for the low entry, especially with a 9 inch ground clearance. I'm a bit disabled, and have had to struggle into the MDX recently. Big doors are really helpful too.
I hope that this fantastic first impression will last for years.

·
Registered
770 Posts
What surprised me was that I was able to use the Eyesight features, turn them on and off, use the (great) stereo, and just drive away without coaching. It's very intuitive. Of course, I've read the 500+ page Owners Manual, the Eyesight manual, the Service Manual, and the Body Repair manual each several times.
:grin: I laugh because I'm the RTMFM type, too, and I think in all honesty we cheat a little in saying that things come "intuitively."

It's only intuitive because we've read the manual, cover-to-cover! :nerd:

Big doors are really helpful too.
Subaru's designers and engineers got it right, this time. I think we should probably thank their consumer research base as well.

Two vehicles ago for me, I was in a '13 Tribeca which I initially didn't really like - but grew to love so much that I really hated giving it up at the end of the lease. Even so, it was hard to not admit that there were some rather serious flaws, one of which was the weight of the rear passenger doors.

They were larger than what I would have expected of the medium-SUV genre, and really made ingress/egress a snap, even for adults to crawl into the 3rd row. Furthermore, the large windows that sat in their frames made the interior quite airy, even without a moonroof.

That said, they were HEAVY, and that's something that neither my then younger child nor my aging MIL/FIL liked: and it even worried me with their safety, when parked uphill (on the flip side, the positive was that they didn't blow shut/or fly open on gusty days....).

I was thrilled to see that Subaru got this part of the equation right, this time around.

In terms of the ride, the wifey and the MIL have both praised it in short order. I've gotta admit, I've gotten spoiled by it pretty fast. Sure, it rolls a bit more than I'd like, but I understand that it's because it's a conventional suspension setup, and that it really doesn't have sporting pretensions. And in all honesty, I'm perfectly fine with the trade-off.

Here's to many happy miles in your new vehicle, from one multi-Subaru family to another. :smile: The Ascent is our 8th, and my wife will likely re-up with another WRX when her lease on the current runs out this February.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.