Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is a short video clip from my off-roading adventures yesterday and pictures from the trip and the prep beforehand.
The water was about 30" deep in some sections.

https://youtu.be/ZICSPWtqR2g
2" Lift
Nitto Ridge Grappler 255/55R18 Tires
Primitive racing skid plates x 3

20210710_115239.jpg

Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 馃槏) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 馃槶)
Slick Video! Super impressive.
Curious as to what device/software you are running to show your on screen statistics in the video?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slick Video! Super impressive.
Curious as to what device/software you are running to show your on screen statistics in the video?
I use TrackAddict on the phone to capture data.
I have a good OBD bluetooth scanner plugged in and linked to TrackAddict.
Then I download all the files and load into RaceRenderer on my PC and combine the video and data into one video. I did pay for RaceRender, but everything else is free.

Reactions: Pluckito1111

Registered
I use TrackAddict on the phone to capture data.
I have a good OBD bluetooth scanner plugged in and linked to TrackAddict.
Then I download all the files and load into RaceRenderer on my PC and combine the video and data into one video. I did pay for RaceRender, but everything else is free.
Wow, awesome stuff!
What Bluetooth Dongle are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Also, where was the video filmed? Gorgeous area!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Registered

Registered
Great video! We are moving to Costa Rica and will be encountering a lot of steep, winding, silty muddy, rutted roads. We own a 2019 Ascent Premium with the stock wheels and 245/50 R20 tires. What modifications do you think we should make to safely drive on these surfaces? Is the type of driving you showed in the video something that you think the Ascent can handle on a consistent basis reliably? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Registered
I run 255 x 60 x 19 Falken Wildpeaks on my 2021 Ascent without a lift kit and have zero rubbing. They are 31.1" overall diameter. Just a heads up on the size.

My opinion is the ascent will handle Costa Rican roads fine as long as you don't hit rocks with the transfer case, oil pan and rear end. My outback did well in the type of terrain you mentioned. (before I bought my ascent)

Also loved the video ... would love to make that trip sometime. Amazing that the ascent will run through 30" of water and not drown the engine. Not sure I would have the guts to try it! Pretty sure AAA would take a pass on that call!

Registered
What Hankdog said. How did you get away with being in water that deep without a snorkel? Doesn't water go up the airscoop for the turbo intercooler under the hood, or into the main air scoop?

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
In addition to ^^ this question, are there not ventilation ports for various pieces of the drivetrain also vulnerable to deep water? (I don't know...I'm just curious)

Administrator
In addition to ^^ this question, are there not ventilation ports for various pieces of the drivetrain also vulnerable to deep water? (I don't know...I'm just curious)
Yes:
  • One vent on the rear differential that's hard to get water into (but, it does happen).
  • One vent on the top of a tube that comes out of the CVT under the intercooler.
  • One vent on the top of a tube that comes out of the front differential under the intercooler.
  • EVAP test system mounted to the underside of the rear cargo area above the spare tire.
  • Opening in the resonator of the air box (air filter box).
  • Vent opening in the top of the radiator's "overflow" tank.

Registered
Yes:
  • One vent on the rear differential that's hard to get water into (but, it does happen).
  • One vent on the top of a tube that comes out of the CVT under the intercooler.
  • One vent on the top of a tube that comes out of the front differential under the intercooler.
  • EVAP test system mounted to the underside of the rear cargo area above the spare tire.
  • Opening in the resonator of the air box (air filter box).
  • Vent opening in the top of the radiator's "overflow" tank.
Convinced me to not take my baby swimming! 馃槑

Administrator
Might need a few more inches beyond 30" to submerge that hole ;) Who has a snorkel on their Ascent? ;)

Working on it. 馃槈

To be serious for a second, it's amazing how much water and mud gets flung onto it.

(actually, I am looking into a snorkel - but far down the road)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great video! We are moving to Costa Rica and will be encountering a lot of steep, winding, silty muddy, rutted roads. We own a 2019 Ascent Premium with the stock wheels and 245/50 R20 tires. What modifications do you think we should make to safely drive on these surfaces? Is the type of driving you showed in the video something that you think the Ascent can handle on a consistent basis reliably? Thanks in advance for your advice.
As long as there aren't a lot of big rocks, the 20's should be fine. If there are, I'd highly suggest getting 18" wheels and AT tires with a much larger sidewall.

Here is a video with my Ascent at stock height (before the lift), with just the 18" Nitto Ridge Grappler AT tires. Handles all kinds of muddy/slippery/rutted surfaces with ease!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts