Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, so, by now, a few of you have determined that the front center cup holders are a bit big for many coffee cups, especially the 7-Eleven/Wawa/Royal Farms/etc disposables.

I found a quick and very cheap and relatively unobtrusive solution. Hope it helps!

EDIT:
(I should have included the links, sorry - here they are)
This is what I will be using on my second attempt (I'll put two or three equally spaced out in each):
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Adhesive-Bumpers-Square-Circle/dp/B06XPVKQB4

These are what's in the video, which I think are a little bit too big for some of the cups I use.
https://smile.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-9565-SurfaceGard-Transparent/dp/B00004YOHP/

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can't tell at all what it is you are using. It doesn't show up in the video and you don't actually pull it out and show it and say what it is.

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't tell at all what it is you are using. It doesn't show up in the video and you don't actually pull it out and show it and say what it is.
Hi, I'm sorry, I actually do say what they are (22s - little clear furniture pad things), and zoom into the area to show them as well (33 second mark, 1m12s mark). I suspect because they're so unobtrusive, you may miss them. I didn't think about that, thanks for the heads up. They're pretty obvious on my computer screen, but most people use smaller screens (eg: mobile devices) nowadays. Scroll to those positions on the video to see close-ups of them in place. They're called rubber furniture bumpers, rubber furniture pads, rubber furniture feet, etc.

So, here's a link to assorted sizes, which will have assorted images of them.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DV85NR7/

These are the ones I am using, which, as I said in the vid, I wish were a tiny bit smaller. Alas, you can see that the online pic on Amazon is horrendous. Look at the link above and you can find a better pic of this size.

Thanks for the heads up - let me know if the added info helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
237 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Could you not just have gotten a bigger coffee mug? Solves the fit issue and PLUS You get more COFFEE...which is the ultimate score LOL

Thanks for the tip going to have to do something most likely as that will annoy the **** out of me

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Robert.Mauro Could you not just have gotten a bigger coffee mug? Solves the fit issue and PLUS You get more COFFEE...which is the ultimate score LOL

Thanks for the tip going to have to do something most likely as that will annoy the **** out of me
LMAO!!! That's already a 28oz mug. I've been looking for larger ones that fit, but my next size up is a 64 ounce travel mug (except mine is from Stewarts):

Alas, it fits nowhere except strapped into the passenger seat. :grin:

·
Registered
237 Posts
LMAO!!! That's already a 28oz mug. I've been looking for larger ones that fit, but my next size up is a 64 ounce travel mug (except mine is from Stewarts):

Alas, it fits nowhere except strapped into the passenger seat. :grin:
Might need to trade in the Ascent for a big rig. You are dangerously close to those super size jugs that you find at the truck stop

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might need to trade in the Ascent for a big rig. You are dangerously close to those super size jugs that you find at the truck stop
That's exactly what it is, lol! Truck stops are the first place I'd ever seen them, but, then on a Star Trek New Voyages film shoot, one of my crew friends found one at Stewarts and bought it for me. :grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had my Ascent for two weeks now and the front cup holders are probably my biggest pet peeve - by the way, that says a lot - cup holders are my biggest issue - overall the Ascent is great. I'm loving it and would highly recommend it. Anyway, I applaud the creativity of using transparent rubber bumpers to try and make the cup holders smaller. But I'm hoping for an even better solution. Has anyone else come up with creative solutions to help address the issue of the front cup holders being too big for most normal sized cups?

I have a 7 seat model with the captains chairs. I've resorted to using the two cup holders on the back of the center counsel near the floor. Those holders have springs which hold any size cup in place. It's not very convenient to have to reach backward to retrieve my cup, but at least it doesn't topple over whenever I turn or break.

·
Registered
409 Posts
what are we defining "normal" cups as? a double gulp from 7-11 or a small coffee cup from McDonald's? or just a standard 20oz Coke bottle? Just wanting a frame of reference here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The holders are too large to adequately stabilize a large cup of coffee from McDonalds or a standard plastic water bottle (16.9 oz). Both of those tend to tilt over. I haven't tried a Big Gulp cup yet, but I imagine that a cup that size might be fine. Problem is that I don't often have drinks that large.

The past vehicles I've owned have had two-tier type holders that worked well for both small and larger sized cups. I'm hoping someone comes up with a creative idea for some type of permanent insert that would allow the LED light to shine through but also stabilize smaller cups.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The holders are too large to adequately stabilize a large cup of coffee from McDonalds or a standard plastic water bottle (16.9 oz). Both of those tend to tilt over. I haven't tried a Big Gulp cup yet, but I imagine that a cup that size might be fine. Problem is that I don't often have drinks that large.

The past vehicles I've owned have had two-tier type holders that worked well for both small and larger sized cups. I'm hoping someone comes up with a creative idea for some type of permanent insert that would allow the LED light to shine through but also stabilize smaller cups.
Ok now that is a good baseline for everyone to understand. Sheeh that will be annoying for some and a relief for others. my water bottle should fit fine and the drinks we get from Maverik (local gas station) should fit fine. I rarely go to McDonald's anymore, but these are a good frame of reference.

I think the biggest gripe would be standard bottles being too small. I wonder where/what Subaru's designers where thinking when they designed the cupholders; maybe they assumed Americans = fat = larger drinks. who knows! (not calling anyone out just an observation)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Too big is better than too small. My thermal mug with handle fits fine but some cupholders aren't big enough for it. Subaru used to provide an insert that fit soda cans and water bottles better - my '15 Outback came with one in one cupholder. I bet they still carry them.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I had a MINI Countryman there was a TSB that updated the front cup holders with retractable pods that adjusted to the width of the base of the cup. My Pilot has a foam insert that folds down based on the width of the cup and is able to hold it without wobble. Here's to hoping the Subaru comes up with something to help with that issue, it feels like this was a huge oversight in the quest for maximum beverage holders

·
Registered
187 Posts
Finally just threw a koozie on my coffee mug. Close enough... and higher R-value :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm hoping someone shows up with a 3D printer and can build us some new ones that can retrofit. Perhaps we could create a sticky thread so when people are developing fixes they are easy to track?

As someone said before, it does say something when the biggest gripe are the cupholders (that's my #1). However it's equally frustrating when Subaru touted "19 cupholders" and didn't put any engineering behind it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts