Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any alternatives to the OEM window visors? Mine as squeaking like crazy.

I read up on a few issues here and ended up replacing the visors with new ones and put on better/thicker 3m double sided tape and still same issues.

I do have the gap in the in the window seals around the hooks that go into the channel. I cannot seem to get them to sit flush or sit properly.

I have never had issues with my WRX or other cars so not sure whats different here. any help?

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Is there any alternatives to the OEM window visors? Mine as squeaking like crazy.

I read up on a few issues here and ended up replacing the visors with new ones and put on better/thicker 3m double sided tape and still same issues.

I do have the gap in the in the window seals around the hooks that go into the channel. I cannot seem to get them to sit flush or sit properly.

I have never had issues with my WRX or other cars so not sure whats different here. any help?
I've ran mine for almost 30,000 miles, with no squeaking - including overlanding in the deserts out west. Did you or the dealership install them? Alas, I know the most common installation mistakes made when installing them, and I could possibly help you resolve the squeaking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've ran mine for almost 30,000 miles, with no squeaking - including overlanding in the deserts out west. Did you or the dealership install them? Alas, I know the most common installation mistakes made when installing them, and I could possibly help you resolve the squeaking.
I did the install myself. Did the normal heating with a heat gun, and all that jazz. are you weather strips sitting flush with the two hooks on the window visors?

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
I did the install myself. Did the normal heating with a heat gun, and all that jazz. are you weather strips sitting flush with the two hooks on the window visors?
Yes. And you just caught the problem, I think. They tend to curl inwards or under the clips or get squashed by them during the install. Mine were installed for me, and mine was squeaking for that reason. Happens a lot, apparently.

I found that carefully pulling the weather strips out, heating them a little until they were flat and not folded at the clips, then putting them back in and holding them with s plastic spludger/trim tool while raising the windows on to them - and then leaving the windows closed for a day or two - fixed it for me. I haven't had problems since.

I'll grab a pic for you in a few to show you how mine sit now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. And you just caught the problem, I think. They tend to curl inwards or under the clips or get squashed by them during the install. Mine were installed for me, and mine was squeaking for that reason. Happens a lot, apparently.

I found that carefully pulling the weather strips out, heating them a little until they were flat and not folded at the clips, then putting them back in and holding them with s plastic spludger/trim tool while raising the windows on to them - and then leaving the windows closed for a day or two - fixed it for me. I haven't had problems since.

I'll grab a pic for you in a few to show you how mine sit now.
Thanks, I will give it a try when i get home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts