Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Ascent has 325 miles on it and took a nail to the front drivers side tire yesterday. Its near the sidewall, so the tire shop is saying its not patchable. Anyone know if the stock Falkens have any road hazard coverage? Anyone have luck getting a new tire from their dealership in a similar situation?

·
Registered
588 Posts
My 2020 Ascent has 325 miles on it and took a nail to the front drivers side tire yesterday. Its near the sidewall, so the tire shop is saying its not patchable. Anyone know if the stock Falkens have any road hazard coverage? Anyone have luck getting a new tire from their dealership in a similar situation?
You are out of luck unless you purchased a warranty of some type that includes Road Hazard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are out of luck unless you purchased a warranty of some type that includes Road Hazard.
Pretty much what I figured, but thought I'd ask. Trying to decide if I want to drop $200+ on a oem replacement tire, or just bite the bullet and buy 4 good tires.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Pretty much what I figured, but thought I'd ask. Trying to decide if I want to drop $200+ on a oem replacement tire, or just bite the bullet and buy 4 good tires.
I purchased road hazard from Discount tire to cover the OEM tires. I figure even if I do not get a puncture, I would be able to get a mileage credit for my replacement tires from Discount Tire. Otherwise, I agree with Kathytn that unfortunately you are sool.:cry:

It is a tough call on the options since the tires are so new. Maybe the dealer would sell you one at a good price. I suppose you could use the others as full size spares, or expensive planters in the yard. Not much resale value given that they are OEM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just felt your pain today. 1st nail in the tire for our Ascent. Just had to replace a rear tire today. Felt like we dodged a bullet though from replacing all 4.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
You are probably out of luck. No OEM road hazard and it certainly is not a defective tire by way of your description. I had purchased Discount Tire's road hazard on the OEM tires so I am covered if this event happens to me. IMO tires are too expensive to replace compared to the road hazard insurance. I just put on winter tires and purchased road hazard on them as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You are probably out of luck. No OEM road hazard and it certainly is not a defective tire by way of your description. I had purchased Discount Tire's road hazard on the OEM tires so I am covered if this event happens to me. IMO tires are too expensive to replace compared to the road hazard insurance. I just put on winter tires and purchased road hazard on them as well.
So, if you did get a puncture in one that was unrepairable, you get a discounted rate on the tire and get mileage credit on the other three?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thats how it was explained to me by Discount Tire.
Got it. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have a Discount Tire in northern Virginia. Looking to see if any other options. I know Costco has a program on tires bought there but I don't know the specifics, if it's similar.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So, if you did get a puncture in one that was unrepairable, you get a discounted rate on the tire and get mileage credit on the other three?
Maybe! No mileage credit for me on our 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R BECAUSE the tire size is not common and they could not sell them to many other people. Maybe the Ascent tire size is more common.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I would be able to replace the unrepairable punctured one with a new one (same tire or a comparable one - my choice) at no cost (see attached for some restrictions). No prorating or mileage adjustment needed. The proration only comes in to play on a tire that you purchased and you wish to replace it with a new one (no puncture or defect, just worn). Since the OEM tires are not top shelf I would probably end up paying some additional cost for the different value of my choice tire but it would still remain below the cost of the road hazard certificate cost. The other issue to consider is that since we have AWD we need to keep the tires all at about the same tread depth and type of tread, so realistically after probably two years or so, if I had a unrepairable tire I would most likely replace all of them. One I would get for free (or near free (if I upgrade) and the other three would be prorated based on the remaining tread depth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts