Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
On my last couple vehicles (2 Hyundais), i was "unimpressed" with the tire life on the OEM tires that came with my vehicles. I want to say I got somewhere around 25k miles on the tires.

While at the dealer yesterday, I had my tires checked, and the computer readout came back with tread depth between 5/32 and 7/32 all around, after 17300 miles. Hoping I can get thru the winter without any problem, and will ride them thru the summer as long as they still look good.

Just wondering, for any of you high mileage guys out there... have you had to replace your tires yet, and at what mileage did you have to do it?

Lets please keep this to a discussion of OEM tire life, and not get into reasons why you replaced the tires when you bought the car, the value of snow tires, etc. I'm really just curious about OEM tire life.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,987 Posts
The OEM tires are typical of many all-season tires in that to be able to accommodate the winter side of things, they have a softer material in play which can and does lead to shorter effective tread-wear life. They are not bad tires at all...and again, most OEM tires are like this because of the "least common denominator" factor of needing to equip a vehicle with tires that are reasonably effective across the variety of geographies and climates they are being sold in. I'm quite pleased with the ride on the OEM tires, but also believe that I'll be replacing in the 25K range based on wear so far at 8K miles.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
23500mi (not the highest here) and I’m still running on the OEM 18” tires.
I haven’t taken tread depth measurements but they appear to have sufficient depth to the wear markings to easily make 30-35k mi. And appear to have fairly even wear across the tread.
I’ve had to modify the rotation pattern due to the dealer failing to actually rotate the tires at the 6k mi service. First rotation was at 12k, back tires to front and vice versa, switching sides. Now at 24k I’m finally back on a normal pattern.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two responses after 5 days is somewhat disappointing... I thought I'd get a fair amount of feedback here. AH well. Thanks to those who did respond.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Two responses after 5 days is somewhat disappointing... I thought I'd get a fair amount of feedback here. AH well. Thanks to those who did respond.
I don't think that many Ascent drivers have had their cars long enough to wear out the OEM tires. FWIW, I have 14,889 miles on mine after 12.5 months of ownership. I measured the tread depth at 6/32" the other day. That's pretty similar wear to what you reported. I expect to have to replace the tires in Summer 2020, but I will consider a new set early if it seems we'll be up in the snow much this winter.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm at 24k miles too and it looks like I'll get 35k or so out of them if I can wait that long to put some AT tires on :D

Reactions: xydadx3 and TSiWRX

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There's also another extensive thread on these tires... ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
I only had mine on for 2403 miles.

Anyway, I've seen people who made rated or expect to based off treadwear measurements, and some who somehow wore theirs down in 10k.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's also another extensive thread on these tires... ;)
I saw that, but it seems like people are pretty impassioned and have predetermined notions about Falken tires in general. Thats why I was looking for facts, not opinions. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyway, I've seen people who made rated or expect to based off treadwear measurements, and some who somehow wore theirs down in 10k.
Thats interesting, as my dealer also said that they've got some Ascent owners who had to replace their tires at low mileage. I didn't ask how low, but 10k miles seems crazy.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Thats interesting, as my dealer also said that they've got some Ascent owners who had to replace their tires at low mileage. I didn't ask how low, but 10k miles seems crazy.
I purchased the Discount Tire warranty on my Ascent OEM tires so if they wear prematurely they will be pro rated. At 10000 miles though I would expect SOA to replace them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm at 25+k and was told at my recent oil change that I'll want to get them changed out before winter. (Snow country here). This is about the same as I got on my '15 Outback in terms of miles. I think I was at 3/32nds. Sad after only one year but what do you do? Buy longer wearing tires this time!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I think Discount Tire rates those tires for about 35000 or a bit more. If they do and you have their warranty they will pro rate them. It may or not be worth it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
At 10000 miles though I would expect SOA to replace them.
The Subaru warranty explicitly excludes the tires, if I'm not mistaken. That's why there are tire warranty slip sheets in with the vehicle manuals that detail the tire manufacturers' warranties. There are two; one for the Yokohama compact spare and one for the Falken tires. But the warranties only cover manufacturing defects "for the life of the tread"...with no tread wear warranty expressed that I can see. That said, extremely short wear life is absolutely worth pursuing with the dealer and Subaru...as long as proper rotation, etc., can be demonstrated. Hopefully, it was brought up sooner, rather than later, that excessive wear was being experienced, too. "Suddenly" noticing the wear carries less weight than being an observant vehicle owner and bringing things up early, IMHO.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Falken is not a bad tire brand, but the model that is on our Ascents Discount Tire only rates as "Good" not "Better" or "Best". Another Falken model in the same size is in the "Better" category.

Most brands have different levels of quality to appeal to both the "I need the cheapest round rubber thing you can put on there" and the "I want high quality tires" kinds of people. Sadly OEM tires on many vehicles these days fall in the previous category.

I personally have liked all the Yokohama tires I've put on my vehicles over the years. The quality and longevity have been great but at a 15% or so discount over brands like Michelin.

Discount Tire also has a TreadWell program. You put in how much you drive, where you drive, how you drive, etc and it'll give you recommendations. It includes a cost/mile kind of calculation so you may see that a more expensive tire will cost you less in the long run as you get 10k more miles out of it. Stuff like that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We have about 14,500 miles on the Falkens so far with normal wear so they should easily last 25,000 miles.

Cooper has been my go to tire brand for a long time. I've found them to be quieter and ride better with a longer tread life than the other brands I've tried over the years. Plus I really like the local dealer, they aren't a big name tire store but are very customer focused and will fix anyone's flat or do a rotation for free.

Since we aren't going to California this winter, I'll be getting a set of Cooper Discoverer True North winter tires for the Accent in a month or so. They were also highly rated by CR last winter.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The Subaru warranty explicitly excludes the tires, if I'm not mistaken. That's why there are tire warranty slip sheets in with the vehicle manuals that detail the tire manufacturers' warranties. There are two; one for the Yokohama compact spare and one for the Falken tires. But the warranties only cover manufacturing defects "for the life of the tread"...with no tread wear warranty expressed that I can see. That said, extremely short wear life is absolutely worth pursuing with the dealer and Subaru...as long as proper rotation, etc., can be demonstrated. Hopefully, it was brought up sooner, rather than later, that excessive wear was being experienced, too. "Suddenly" noticing the wear carries less weight than being an observant vehicle owner and bringing things up early, IMHO.
That is one reason I purchased the Discount Tire warranty on all four OEM tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All,
On my last couple vehicles (2 Hyundais), i was "unimpressed" with the tire life on the OEM tires that came with my vehicles. I want to say I got somewhere around 25k miles on the tires.

While at the dealer yesterday, I had my tires checked, and the computer readout came back with tread depth between 5/32 and 7/32 all around, after 17300 miles. Hoping I can get thru the winter without any problem, and will ride them thru the summer as long as they still look good.

Just wondering, for any of you high mileage guys out there... have you had to replace your tires yet, and at what mileage did you have to do it?

Lets please keep this to a discussion of OEM tire life, and not get into reasons why you replaced the tires when you bought the car, the value of snow tires, etc. I'm really just curious about OEM tire life.

Thanks.

WIll let you know! only at 300Miles !

1 - 20 of 43 Posts