Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the OEM Thule Bike Rack (SOA567B050) for the Ascent will work with a non-OEM hitch receiver?

I have a "Draw-Tite 76253 Max-Frame Class III Receiver Trailer Hitch for Select 2019 and Newer Subaru Ascent" from Amazon. It is a standard 2-inch hitch receiver.

The OEM Thule bike rack says that it will only work with an OEM receiver. But I'm wondering if anyone has experience to confirm if that is true or not?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Subaru is only scaring you. Subaru Class III hitch receiver is just like any other Class III receiver, it's 2" square
I am pretty sure it was Thule. They write the product manuals and instructions for the Subaru sold Thule products. AFAIK, it has to do with depth of the square receiver, and distance to the pin hole. I am not sure why Thule chose to not use the same wording as in their other instructions.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah. Normally you put a ball mount in the receiver and hitch pin through that and you're good. In some cases, particularly with unibody vehicles, you might add an anti rattle device. With some bike racks, the hitch pin is threaded and tightens into the 2" mount to keep it from swaying. Some bike racks have a more complicated mechanism with spring loaded pins and some kind of wedge system tightened by a knob at the rear of the rack for easy access. It's the latter that can have more restrictive requirements on the receiver due to how those engage and interact with the receiver.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Some bike racks have a more complicated mechanism with spring loaded pins and some kind of wedge system tightened by a knob at the rear of the rack for easy access. It's the latter that can have more restrictive requirements on the receiver due to how those engage and interact with the receiver.
Thule is fond of those on some of their bike rack series, such as on mine, which is the newer version of the Subaru OEM Thule one. The OEM/earlier version one is better, btw. It's what I ordered, and the company I ordered it from sent the new one thinking they were doing me a favor. I would have ordered from Subaru, but, things weren't really shipping at the time, and I needed it (or so I thought) for my work commute (work from home extended until July now, so, I don't need it for quite some time).

Both versions use the same knob and wedge tightening system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Thule platform bike rack - Thule T2 Pro XTR. I can mount it on the Subaru factory hitch, but it sits really high! I'm short so I could barely reach the top of the support arm where it clamps on the tire! It has a knob that tightens a wedge to clamp inside the hitch and a pin that positions it in the rack with the hitch pin hole. The knob locks both in pace. But because of the height, I bought a hitch "dropper" to lower the hitch entry by 6 inches.
It works pretty well. It lowers the rack so it is accessible. It moves the bikes a little further back, not a lot. I use a threaded hitch pin to eliminate rattle. An added benefit is I can raise the back hatch with the hitch folded up. But not with a bike in the forward position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts