Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else come up with a creative solution for storing the OEM sunshade when not in use? Feel free to share it here. I had a baby gate strap and stroller bungee that I used to secure mine out of the way so my passengers won't step on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lack of storage is the #1 reason I did not order one. How do you like it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Has anyone else come up with a creative solution for storing the OEM sunshade when not in use? Feel free to share it here. I had a baby gate strap and stroller bungee that I used to secure mine out of the way so my passengers won't step on it.

You do this every time you use it? I have the shade. I have the cover. The cover -- nice but way too difficult to use every time. Right now, my shade either sits on the passenger floor if I'm alone, or in between the captain's chairs in the back. Cover is somewhere. I plan on buying a heatshade.com when they have them for the Ascent. It rolls up and velcro's - but it is so much lighter and versatile. I find the Subaru shade heavy and cumbersome. It will work for this summer.

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lack of storage is the #1 reason I did not order one. How do you like it?
I got it for free so I can't really complain. It does work very well on hot days, to help with heat rejection, especially since I have the black leather interior. But yes I do wish it was more compact. But it does the job and I found a storage solution.

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do this every time you use it? I have the shade. I have the cover. The cover -- nice but way too difficult to use every time. Right now, my shade either sits on the passenger floor if I'm alone, or in between the captain's chairs in the back. Cover is somewhere. I plan on buying a heatshade.com when they have them for the Ascent. It rolls up and velcro's - but it is so much lighter and versatile. I find the Subaru shade heavy and cumbersome. It will work for this summer.
I just rigged this up this afternoon while I was cleaning the interior. I will definitely have it strapped in when I have passengers with me on the weekends and when I'm not in a rush.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My Ascent was ordered with one so I have it. At first, I was putting it in the 3rd row foot space but I kept stepping on it when moving around the cabin (I've only had the car a week so I'm still playing in it almost every day). I moved it standing upright behind the 2nd row passenger seat, just kind of leaning against the right of the vehicle. But I can't stand things that aren't securely in place so I just put it on a shelf in the garage yesterday. I think it fits in the compartment under the rear floor, so I might stick it in there.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is this thing worth the $70 shipped? I have custom fit sunshades for my other cars that roll up and they develop wrinkles and lose their shape.

I do like the accordian folding vs rolling though

·
Registered
411 Posts
My Ascent was ordered with one so I have it. At first, I was putting it in the 3rd row foot space but I kept stepping on it when moving around the cabin (I've only had the car a week so I'm still playing in it almost every day). I moved it standing upright behind the 2nd row passenger seat, just kind of leaning against the right of the vehicle. But I can't stand things that aren't securely in place so I just put it on a shelf in the garage yesterday. I think it fits in the compartment under the rear floor, so I might stick it in there.
There has to be something more efficient than putting it in the 3rd row; Does it not fit under the seat or between the driver's seats? I ask because I plan on buying one and storing it is crucial; considering I have the slate black interior, I need all the help I can get

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There has to be something more efficient than putting it in the 3rd row; Does it not fit under the seat or between the driver's seats? I ask because I plan on buying one and storing it is crucial; considering I have the slate black interior, I need all the help I can get
It's definitely too long to fit completely fit under any of the front seats and I don't think there is any space underneath any of the rear seats. If you have the bench seat I suppose it could go under the 2nd row middle seat, but it will poke out of the front or rear. You could also put it in that spot if you have the captain's chairs, but it won't be out of sight and could get stepped on or tripped over. I did not try between the driver's seats. I probably never tried because when it's folded it's pretty thick - maybe two inches. The Subaru piece is big and bulky so an aftermarket shade might give you better storage options.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's definitely too long to fit completely fit under any of the front seats and I don't think there is any space underneath any of the rear seats. If you have the bench seat I suppose it could go under the 2nd row middle seat, but it will poke out of the front or rear. You could also put it in that spot if you have the captain's chairs, but it won't be out of sight and could get stepped on or tripped over. I did not try between the driver's seats. I probably never tried because when it's folded it's pretty thick - maybe two inches. The Subaru piece is big and bulky so an aftermarket shade might give you better storage options.
Thanks for the heads up. I hate some aftermarket ones because they are mostly "universal" and suck something bad. I will wait and see what I go with then. I still have a week or so before the Ascent gets in; and since it's cooling down here in UT, im not too worried. I'll just use the Starlink app and have it cooling down before I get in

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Is this thing worth the $70 shipped? I have custom fit sunshades for my other cars that roll up and they develop wrinkles and lose their shape.

It's pretty worthless to me, but it is well made and has a nice carrying bag. So if you need this accessory, the price is fine in my opinion. I'd definitely get the rear seat back protector first for similar money.

·
Registered
542 Posts

It's pretty worthless to me, but it is well made and has a nice carrying bag. So if you need this accessory, the price is fine in my opinion. I'd definitely get the rear seat back protector first for similar money.
Thanks! Any recommended vendors? Seems like eBay has always had the best shipped price

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks! Any recommended vendors? Seems like eBay has always had the best shipped price
Some dealerships sell both on their own website and on eBay and may or not have the same prices on each platform. The most consistently low prices I have noticed are from Heuberger Subaru. I also use subarupartswarehouse because I get coupons from them. You can get on their list by signing up. That's all I really have experience with. If you search the part number on Google you can also check what their shopping tab has to say about best shipped prices out there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ordered the windshield sunshade when I pre-ordered my car. It is a quality sunshade, but I probably wouldn't order it again if I had a do over. It's very bulky and there's no place to put them when it's not in use.

What was surprising was that I was regretting the 3rd row sunshades that I ordered, and I actually like them. They aren't as cheapy looking as I imagined, and matches the 2nd row sunshade pretty well. Glad that one worked out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ps, anyone with a dash cam, I’ve found that my reflective Sun shades destroy windshield mounted dash cams. It gets too hot even for capacitor ones.

Gonna try a mirror mount with the ascent

1 - 20 of 23 Posts