Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove them once installed? I installed mine and after a few weeks wanted to shift them further forward so that the load was closer to the front axle. Loosened bolts, turned the arm around that grabs on and no matter how hard I pulled, it wouldn't come up. Felt like it was glued in place. Any thoughts? Simply pull harder??? Don't want to break something and it definitely felt like i was about to break it!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Has anyone tried to remove them once installed? I installed mine and after a few weeks wanted to shift them further forward so that the load was closer to the front axle. Loosened bolts, turned the arm around that grabs on and no matter how hard I pulled, it wouldn't come up. Felt like it was glued in place. Any thoughts? Simply pull harder??? Don't want to break something and it definitely felt like i was about to break it!
Yes. I did a video for someone else of how to get them unstuck. It's really easy. I only learned this because I installed my own.

Short version:
Use a screwdriver with the proper sized hex bit, unscrew, then tap the head of the screwdriver handle.

Visual version:
Instead of doing it for adjusting them, simply follow the vid, but loosen a little more so you can spin the bottom caps out of the way and then lift the crossbar. May also require tapping the bar upwards in case it too is stuck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My issue is that the cross bars on stuck on the car, even after turning the "grip arm" out of the way. Guess I just need to be less delicate with it lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts