Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

sorry to ask again,

is there any OEM 18' ou 17' steel rims available from SUBARU ? i'm preparing my next ski season 5 months in advance !

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't believe there are any OEM steel rims from Subaru. It is nice that you are getting a jump, perhaps you can take advantage of Discount Tire's current promotion?

If you currently have 20s, may I suggest putting Blizzaks on them from Costco? That is what I did. Just wait for the sale on them. I would venture to say that the Blizzaks are better than the Falkens in ANY road conditions. Dry wet warm cold, no matter.

I then bought aftermarket 18s as my daily driver and wrapped them with some mild All Terrains from Continental. It rides so much better in this configuration.
When the weather calls for a ski trip, I just put the wheels on the night before and take them off when I am done. Can easily do this in 10mins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm from canada and i did a 36 months rental. My ascent has the 18' tires. My plan is to keep the falken for summer until the end of the 36 months and get a good middle of the road set of winter tire (toyo, general, yokohama) to get thru our harsh winter. I would prefer steel wheels to make sure I don't destroy the OEM wheel.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Order them thru Discount or Wal-Mart.
The steel rims to match should be at least qualified under these criteria:
-offset is +55mm
-bolt pattern 114.3mmx5 (or simply 114x5)
-width of rim is 7.5inches
-same diameter as the spare
Use a tire calculator to determine the tire size to match the existing wheel spec

You should paint them to match your car color

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m still unsure about what to do. Either order 18 inches tire and install them on my oem Wheels every winters or keep looking for steelies. I saw a website 1010tires.com that propose steels at 98$Cdn and say that they are 100% fit for ascent. But after reading thru this forum I’m not sure. I also saw on the wheel manufacturer macpek website a model supposed to fit but I’m unsure of the offset. It's really difficult to have a clear answer.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Reactions: BoxerRules

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the vision cross II in canada but they are way more expensive north of the border. the 114$us should translate to 154$cdn but ends up at 203$cdn. At this price point, we have no gain vs removing and reinstalling the tires on the stock rims. back to the drawing board again and again.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Did you see if you can ship them via discount tire direct? (The link Robert provided)

I know they ship to Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
Did you see if you can ship them via discount tire direct? (The link Robert provided)

There is still the currency conversion and unless DTD has a distribution center above the border, there is also extra "shipping" costs due to duties, etc., heading in that direction. Companies that sell both in the US and Canada often try to have facilities in the alternative country to help mitigate the latter because it can be really expensive.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

There is still the currency conversion and unless DTD has a distribution center above the border, there is also extra "shipping" costs due to duties, etc., heading in that direction. Companies that sell both in the US and Canada often try to have facilities in the alternative country to help mitigate the latter because it can be really expensive.
That honestly baffles me. But, I've experienced it personally. I can get things shipped from China, most of Asia, and parts of Europe for less than getting the same item shipped from Canada.

There's times I feel like shipping stuff to someone on the other side of the border and drive across to pick it up. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
There's times I feel like shipping stuff to someone on the other side of the border and drive across to pick it up.
I"ve known people to do that for some things, Robert. They ship to a friend/acquaintance near the border and take a day trip in whatever direction is appropriate.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 14 of 14 Posts