Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to a dealer near us and also contacted a couple other dealers close to us about ordering a Ascent. When we said we wanted the Factory Remote Engine Start (Part #H001SXC000) we were told that was unavailable. Now the dealership ended up finding an Ascent with the options we wanted, so we didn't order one. But the question is why does Subaru have the option in their online configurator for the Remote Engine Starter when you can't option that for a factory build and NONE of the dealers we contacted (5 total) would install the Remote Starter either? They all seemed to push the Starlink subscription to do the same thing from your smartphone which we declined, and one even said that the factory remote start would drain the battery constantly as it would be searching for the fob all the time. Sounds like BS to me, I was hoping to do an OEM remote start and not have to do some aftermarket remote start.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
The fob start accessory is not available factory installed, but should be available to you dealer installed. I ordered it with my factory order which got it at the same discount as the vehicle and without an extra dealer install charge. The dealer set up an appointment post-delivery to physically install it since I wanted to take delivery "now!" after a two month wait. I have that appointment in two weeks.

That said, I ordered the option because we have very poor cell service in our driveway, thinking that the StarLink feature might not work or not be reliable. After multiple successful tests at various times of the day over a period of two weeks, the StarLink performed flawlessly. Apparently, the cellular radio in the Ascent is pretty sensitive and the StarLink option has more features to control various climate and comfort features. I'm honestly thinking of cancelling the install of the fob system and getting my $460 back. (EDIT...I did cancel the install of the fob-based remote start and the dealer is sending me a check)

·
Banned
85 Posts
My dealer also offered to install a remote starter. However the cost to install it was more expensive than paying for a few years of Starlink.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
We went to a dealer near us and also contacted a couple other dealers close to us about ordering a Ascent. When we said we wanted the Factory Remote Engine Start (Part #H001SXC000) we were told that was unavailable. Now the dealership ended up finding an Ascent with the options we wanted, so we didn't order one. But the question is why does Subaru have the option in their online configurator for the Remote Engine Starter when you can't option that for a factory build and NONE of the dealers we contacted (5 total) would install the Remote Starter either? They all seemed to push the Starlink subscription to do the same thing from your smartphone which we declined, and one even said that the factory remote start would drain the battery constantly as it would be searching for the fob all the time. Sounds like BS to me, I was hoping to do an OEM remote start and not have to do some aftermarket remote start.
Have you owned OEM RS car before? How did you like it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you owned OEM RS car before? How did you like it?
I for one was pretty surprised it's not just a standard feature on the car as equipped. Yes I have another car with remote start on the fob as factory equipped. I get my coffee in the am in the kitchen, push the remote start from there in kitchen, hear it rumble to life (civdiv likes his V8 cars) and wander out when I'm ready.

Ditto in the checkout line at the hardware store or something in July when I was running the AC and stuff anyway, I hit the remote start and when I walk out the car is running and AC full blast.

This smartphone process, I dunno about that. Certainly not while I am in a checkout line or something and maybe some people can use a phone with one hand, I'm a 2 hands fumble about kind of user. Seems like a lot of extra work. But I'm going to be open minded and try it sometimes. But personally I think it's a marketing gig since as far as I knew pretty much all cars have remote start once you get into these price ranges. I could be wrong about that..so I'll be quiet now.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I've got you covered!!! Go back with THIS part number.

I've got you covered. Go BACK to your dealer and have them order this part number:
PN: H001SXC001

There's a new slightly revised version. The rest (about it killing the battery and such) you can ignore.

I have revised the part numbers in my original post for all trim levels:

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Nope never owned a remote start vehicle.
"Best thing since sliced bread" when one lives in an area that gets cold in the winter and/or very hot in the summer...with the singular down-side of a little hit on fuel economy because the engine is running at zero mph.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Nope never owned a remote start vehicle.
OEM (using key FOB) and aftermarket RS have two distinct features:

1. OEM have limited range using the key FOB; aftermarket has even longer range than their "long range" remote
2. OEM is unable to remotely lock or unlock doors when it's RS'ed; aftermarket can

Also, keep in mind (for Smartkey/push-start cars) that if you're using the key to manually lock/unlock the door, then you'll run into a problem not able to lock/unlock any of the passenger doors while the engine is on.

Bottom line is that you've not experienced the benefits of aftermarket RS, then you can live with the OEM system

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After emailing SOA, asking why the dealer would be giving me the run around, they (SOA) contacted the dealer and cleared it up and magically the remote start exists and is going to be installed on my Ascent. :grin:

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
After emailing SOA, asking why the dealer would be giving me the run around, they (SOA) contacted the dealer and cleared it up and magically the remote start exists and is going to be installed on my Ascent.
The part number changed. I mentioned that above.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Subaru remote start is NOT worth having!!! The range is extremely limited. I have owned 3 of them. (It did reach from my house to the car, about 30 feet in the winter.) The first one with the separate transmitter fob was great...reaching a very long way. Not any more...Don't do it!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
You are mistakenly equating the old version with what is available for the Ascent.

The Ascent one has a 400 foot transmitter, and even the new Denso keyfobs work over a far greater distance.

I use my regular FOB to remote start all the time, and have only used the long range fob for testing. You'll notice that the Ascent regular FOBs are a lot chunkier than the old regular FOBs, and have a much longer range, because owners complained of very short range on the earlier FOBs (as you noticed).

The Subaru remote start is NOT worth having!!! The range is extremely limited. I have owned 3 of them. (It did reach from my house to the car, about 30 feet in the winter.) The first one with the separate transmitter fob was great...reaching a very long way. Not any more...Don't do it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.