Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2019 Ascent Premium. Already have a Yakima roof rack from my 4Runner so didn't want to purchased a completely new system. Purchased the Yakima timberline towers and seems to fit well. Yakima says the max crossbar spread (fore to aft) is 46" however the raised rails have openings further forward and aft that would give a spread of 60" or so. Attached is a picture showing the openings in question

So the question is - how are the raised siderails attached to the roof? Would it be safe to use those other openings?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Combination of screw rivets and nuts

You can use other openings of the side rails if you want. But, it would depend on the roof attachments you plan to use, as different combinations dictate where over the roof it goes, which an impact things like interference with the liftgate hatch opening.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just picked up a 2019 Ascent Premium. Already have a Yakima roof rack from my 4Runner so didn't want to purchased a completely new system. Purchased the Yakima timberline towers and seems to fit well. Yakima says the max crossbar spread (fore to aft) is 46" however the raised rails have openings further forward and aft that would give a spread of 60" or so. Attached is a picture showing the openings in question

So the question is - how are the raised siderails attached to the roof? Would it be safe to use those other openings?
We have the same set up. I positioned mine more so that it didn't interfere with the view from the sunroof. The front is just past the front edge of the sunroof like yours and the rear is where the sunroof splits on mine. If you don't have a sunroof then as long as you position them within the specs you should be fine. Just like TheAscestion stated, it really all depends on what you plan to carry and if it interferes with the rear hatch. Our cargo box from Thule recommends to be as far as possible to the rear of the vehicle without interfering with the rear hatch opening.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.