Subaru Ascent Forum banner

OEM HITCH INSTALLED - GREAT PRICES!

28K views 107 replies 36 participants last post by  demonsavatar 
#1 · (Edited)
So, a number of my fellow Ascent owners know I am adamant about the benefits of the OEM hitch vs the other inferior solutions. I even go into varying levels of detail explaining why in numerous posts.

Well, some of you have let me know that it's a bit expensive where you all are. I am working on getting you all the best prices I can, so you can get the best hitch possible (seriously, you're talking about something that can cause catastrophic issues if it fails or damages the car).

To that end, ANY of you in Northern NJ, Eastern PA, the New York Metro Area, or simply feel like taking a drive, can head on over to Liberty Subaru, Inc., Emerson, NJ, tell them I sent you, and get the OEM hitch, parts and labor, installed, for $628 (plus tax).

CALL DAN TO GET THE DISCOUNT
AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT

201-261-0900x102

OR MESSAGE
@Liberty Subaru

$628 INSTALLED
+tax

Of course, it's not just the only third row crash tested hitch. It's also the peace of mind knowing it will be covered as a part of your 3/36 factory warranty because it's a dealer installed accessory. It also comes with the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors and harness. It also comes with the brake controller pigtail.

Add all of that up, and it's a great deal - especially considering NY Metro Area's labor rates!!! @Liberty Subaru will take great care of you!

Oh, and if you're in the area, but REALLY want to install it yourself, message them through this forum for a special price on just the hitch!!!

I'll do my best to get some great prices for those of you elsewhere. Stay tuned!

#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #OEMHitch #towing

Considering Towing? Considering a Hitch?
With more and more people considering trailer adventures this summer, a bunch of you are considering getting hitches installed - get the OEM.

It's Part Number L101SXC004.
It's the only one that integrates properly into the Ascent's frame rails, the only one that's third row crash tested to meet the Ascent's third row crash test requirements, and the only one that comes with 4 pin and 7 pin harnesses, and the brake controller pigtail.

If you want to save money on labor, it's an easy DIY install, and well worth it. If you don't want to do the work, I will continue on finding great dealerships that will do it at a great price.

The two big beefy bars at the bottom of the image are the bars that go inside your Ascent's frame rails and bolt into the frame rails.

This isn't an area I'd ever skimp on.

VIDEO INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVa4XhGAfFU

NOTE: the cover plates in the video are cosmetic and not included in the new hitch kits. The drop hitch ball mount is not included either. Find an appropriate height or adjustable height ball mount that is the proper height for your trailer(s).
PRINTABLE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
DON'T FORGET!
Previous part numbers were L101SXC000, L101SXC001, L101SXC002, L101SXC003.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got my OEM hitch from BAM Wholesale Parts and came with everything you mentioned for 290.93 plus shipping of $11.60 to my home address, I guess shipping will be different depending on where you live. I installed it my self without anyone helping, so it's pretty easy to do, at least for me. Definitely didn't want to go aftermarket with that.

#3 · (Edited)
Liberty will beat that price for the part if you message them here. ;) I have it on good authority that you'll get it for just shy that at $288.00 and end up supporting a dealership that's near and dear to my heart for always giving back to the community and being a MASSIVE part of each year's 48Hrs of Tristate Make-A-Wish Charity Drive - if you message them here.

#4 ·
$280 is an amazing price for the part, even considering it doesn’t come with the drop hitch anymore. The dealer price is decent considering the peace of mind and convenience.

@Robert.Mauro adamant might be an understatement, but rightfully so. The OEM hitch is the way to go, especially as competing prices come down. I’m sure it’s safe to assume if a new part number revision comes out you’ll update us here?

#5 ·
#9 ·
Labor rate is really high in NY Metro. Everything is more here, lol :(

Where are you located?

#13 ·
So, a number of my fellow Ascent owners know I am adamant about the benefits of the OEM hitch vs the other inferior solutions. I even go into varying levels of detail explaining why in numerous posts.

Well, some of you have let me know that it's a bit expensive where you all are. I am working on getting you all the best prices I can, so you can get the best hitch possible (seriously, you're talking about something that can cause catastrophic issues if it fails or damages the car).

To that end, ANY of you in Northern NJ, Eastern PA, the New York Metro Area, or simply feel like taking a drive, can head on over to Liberty Subaru, Inc., Emerson, NJ, tell them I sent you, and get the OEM hitch, parts and labor, installed, for $528 (plus tax).

CALL DAN TO GET THE DISCOUNT
AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT

201-261-0900x102

OR MESSAGE
@Liberty Subaru

$528 INSTALLED
+tax

Of course, it's not just the only third row crash tested hitch. It's also the peace of mind knowing it will be covered as a part of your 3/36 factory warranty because it's a dealer installed accessory. It also comes with the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors and harness. It also comes with the brake controller pigtail.

Add all of that up, and it's a great deal - especially considering NY Metro Area's labor rates!!! @Liberty Subaru will take great care of you!

Oh, and if you're in the area, but REALLY want to install it yourself, message them through this forum for a special price on just the hitch!!!

I'll do my best to get some great prices for those of you elsewhere. Stay tuned!

#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #OEMHitch #towing

View attachment 4509

Considering Towing? Considering a Hitch?
With more and more people considering trailer adventures this summer, a bunch of you are considering getting hitches installed - get the OEM.

It's Part Number L101SXC004.
It's the only one that integrates properly into the Ascent's frame rails, the only one that's third row crash tested to meet the Ascent's third row crash test requirements, and the only one that comes with 4 pin and 7 pin harnesses, and the brake controller pigtail.

If you want to save money on labor, it's an easy DIY install, and well worth it. If you don't want to do the work, I will continue on finding great dealerships that will do it at a great price.

The two big beefy bars at the bottom of the image are the bars that go inside your Ascent's frame rails and bolt into the frame rails.

This isn't an area I'd ever skimp on.

VIDEO INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVa4XhGAfFU

NOTE: the cover plates in the video are cosmetic and not included in the new hitch kits. The drop hitch ball mount is not included either. Find an appropriate height or adjustable height ball mount that is the proper height for your trailer(s).
PRINTABLE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
DON'T FORGET!
Previous part numbers were L101SXC000, L101SXC001, L101SXC002, L101SXC003.
I just recently had a hitch installed at the dealer, and they claim that the brake controller pigtail is not included with p/n L101SXC004. Is it supposed to be included? The only document I could find was for the previous version L101SXC003. Thanks!

#14 ·
#18 ·
Hello,
I just had mine installed last week and the pig tail was included. Part # was the L101SXC004
Unfortunately pricing was a bit higher here in the PNW, $710+ tax.
Thanks SO much for replying about this! Helps me not have to worry about if I had enough coffee to remember on Tuesday at 7:30AM, lol!!!
(no, seriously, I am horrible at that time of the morning)

#20 ·
DON'T FORGET!
  • You must use a brake controller for trailers over 1,000 pounds, even if your state law is higher.
A brake controller won't do much if the trailer doesn't have brakes or has surge brakes...just sayin'.

Sounds like for towing with the Ascent, a trailer over 1000 lb must be equipped with working brakes. If they're electric and require a controller, so be it.

I ran into an interesting situation in CA many years ago. I was driving over the Sierras in a snow storm on I80 had to go through chain inspection. My tow vehicle, being 4WD with appropriate tires, didn't need chains, but my trailer, having brakes, did. I had to drive back and get chains for my trailer. If the trailer hadn't had brakes, no chains would have been required.

#21 ·
A brake controller won't do much if the trailer doesn't have brakes or has surge brakes...just sayin'.

Sounds like for towing with the Ascent, a trailer over 1000 lb must be equipped with working brakes. If they're electric and require a controller, so be it.
Exactly, thanks. :)

#23 · (Edited)
Excellent resource.

And, I should be more clear:
  • Brakes are a state to state legal requirement by weight and equipment type.
  • Brakes are a liability requirement for all trailers in all states where the trailer is over 1,000 pounds, due to the Ascent's manufacturer requirements.
  • Where one conflicts with the other, the lower of the two should be used, to avoid either (a) legal repercussions or (b) liability repercussions.
  • In some states, the liability repercussions may also be legal repercussions, due to having "unsafe operation" violations attached for not following the manufacturer safety requirements.

#24 ·
Robert, is the weight figure "trailer weight" or "trailer plus cargo weight" (cargo ON the trailer) for these requirements? I'm thinking the former, but...

#25 ·
Good question. I think that other than in the explanation sections, the manual uses trailer plus cargo weight, since it's the most applicable to the Ascent's design capabilities as published, so, if i were to hazard a guess, that'd be how I interpreted it.

I think that makes the most sense, in that it would mean the brakes are designed to stop the car at GVWR plus up to a thousand pounds of in-tow weight. Especially since trailer UVW and GVWR can be so far apart (eg: the Winnebago tandem axle series).

It's also the safest way of ensuring one meets design capabilities, since it would be the lowest point of deciding trailer brakes were required.

I'll re-read those sections later tonight and see if I still agree with myself. ;)

#36 ·
Is that the installed price or just the hitch? You may want to look at the first few posts in this thread for what other places charge for the hitch. Also internet searching on the hitch part number will help you find pricing from other dealers for just the hitch.

$360 plus tax is a great price if it includes installation and not so good if it does not.

#39 ·
I just paid $525+tax ($545 total) for the hitch and installation at North Reading Subaru for anyone north of Boston. Prices do vary wildly dealership; 2 others quoted me $650 and $700.

#40 ·
I had an appointment to install the hitch at my local dealer last Wednesday. However, the day before they called me saying that they didn’t have the part. Apparently there’s is a national back order on the hitch, and they didn’t know when the part would be available.

I am in central Texas, so I called the dealer in Austin looking for the part. They also didn’t have the part, but informed me that a dealer in Dallas had it. I drove to Dallas and got the hitch for $306 ($331 +tax). The original price for the part was $360 but I used a 15% coupon from their website.

Before traveling to Dallas I did contact BAM for a quote. They also didn’t have the part and said it would take at least two weeks before they got the part. Their price was $293, and $338 with tax and shipping.

I am glad I was able to get the part in Dallas since it’s unknown when they will be available next. Total for part, install, and tax was $584. Hope this helps.

#41 ·
About to get my 2021 Ascent. Just ordered my trailer hitch ($288 in WA). Question for those who did the install. The instructions have two places calling out a "clip remover". What is this tool (not listed in the tool list)? Is there some tool I need to buy? I already have the torque wrench. Will need to buy a deep socket set ($11).

#44 ·
Oh, I did have a curt one, but after research on how it only connects to the bumper instead of connect to frame, decided to return it.
I think I ordered from the same dealer “Kirkland Eastside subaru” as you did. I called them today and said they are back ordered and didn’t know when is the next shipment arriving.
The clip tool probably is just the one to take those plastic pin off the bumper, can use are flat head screwdriver as well.

#48 ·
"Similar" is not the same, but the EcoHitch is a better choice than the Curt or other third party bold-on for sure. The OEM hitch receiver integrates much more into the vehicle than the EcoHitch. There are photos in one of the threads about this...

#52 · (Edited)
Purchased the OEM hitch on Tuesday from BAM (liberty did not have any in stock and lead time was into December) for 291 + 35-ish for shipping.

Local dealer quoted $700 installed.

It shipped out on Wednesday and arrived on Thursday (using standard shipping)

Installed it yesterday on the ascent in the driveway.

Took about 2-1/2 hours - taking my time so that I minimize the screw-ups.

Saying that, does anyone have the part number for the small 'popper' that holds the bumper cover at the top of the wheel well. I misunderstood how those came off. 🙄

Found the clip part number - 909140062 - 2020 Subaru Ascent
Bumper Cover Upper Clip.

#53 ·
Any recommendations for having a factory hitch installed in the San Francisco Bay area? I got a quote of $675 installed from a local dealer in San Jose, provided that I am willing to wait for the backordered kit to arrive. I watched the very helpful video for self-install, but would be happy buying the kit myself and having a good shop do the install.

#56 ·
It took over a month, but I finally got my OEM hitch ($288 Subaru of the Eastside (Kirkland, WA)). It came with no instructions, so I'm glad this thread told me where to find them. The instructions are horrible. If anyone knows how I can provide constructive feedback to Subaru on them, I'd be glad to do so as I took notes as I went. The complaints are in three main categories. 1) not accurate for my model (or perhaps my options), 2) line drawings are hard to follow - please have photo-realistic pictures, 3) while some instructions are explicit, others (that need details) are missing those details.

Unlike what some others reported, mine included a Brake Controller Wiring Harness (just like the parts list said it would). Unfortunately, the instructions tell me absolutely nothing about what to do with it. Are there separate installation instructions for it? I won't need it until next summer, but I'd like to get it installed and done.

#57 ·
I posted a vid as well, which may help, if you're not done. The instructions should match your car - but the drawings perhaps leave a bit to be desired to match better?

As for the brake controller pigtail... pick the brake controller of your choice, do NOT get an OEM specific one (eg: don't waste money getting one with a Subaru harness). It will come with bare wires on one end of its harness. Simply splice those together with the pigtail Subaru provided. For most brake controllers, the colors should match, so, simply do red to red, green to green, etc. Seal it up (I soldered my connection, then slid shrink tube over them and sealed them - lasts longer than electrical tape).

Then, simply plug in the pigtail's plug into the plug below your dash at the left corner near the firewall. Adjust your brake controller for the trailer, and you're done. Unplug when you're done towing.

#58 ·
Just called my local dealer (the good one, not the one that missed a major issue on our Outback) and they quoted me $952 for the install. I asked them to verify if this would be the under-the-bumper, fully integrated hitch. Answer "I dunno. I've never seen one done. I guess so." 😬Lord help me.

#59 ·
Can't hurt to shop around other dealerships.

#63 ·
If Landers McLarty Subaru isn't too far from you, I'd give them a call. Tell them Subaru Ambassador Robert sent you (and that I said "hi!!!").