Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Subaru OEM hitch yesterday. Took about 2-1/2 hours taking my time. I have installed quite a few aftermarket hitches on various cars and I have to say this was a walk in the park compared to those. If anyone was debating if they could do it or not, take the dive. The instructions are for the most part right on and easy to understand.

Since Subaru makes their cars with the thought that customers might like install accessories themselves, everything was predrilled, pre wired etc. This hitch quality is excellent and is made of very heavy steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
More Pictures
Congrats. I also just did mine two days ago. Yes it’s very doable and worth saving that money they would charge in labor from the dealership. Looks good. The routing of the wire through the side near the vent was my problem area. Seemed like I couldn’t enough slack or just the right amount to get that grommet in. Any issues with yours. Looking at the pics it looks like it taunt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The routing of the wire through the side near the vent was my problem area. Seemed like I couldn’t enough slack or just the right amount to get that grommet in. Any issues with yours. Looking at the pics it looks like it taunt.
Yes they it was tight. For a minute it looked like it wasn't going to fit, but in the end it worked ok.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thank you SO much for sharing these!!! I was tempted to pull mine apart, uninstall and reinstall it for pics. NOW people can see why I am against the aftermarket hitch that just hangs off the bottom of the sub frame, and against the aftermarket hitch that simply bolts to the bumper nuts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed the factory hitch on my 2020 Ascent. I used the 50% off up to $200 discount from the COSTCO buyers program to buy it directly from the dealer. The install was easy and there is a great video on the install on YouTube. I saved over $500.00.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just installed the factory hitch on my 2020 Ascent. I used the 50% off up to $200 discount from the COSTCO buyers program to buy it directly from the dealer. The install was easy and there is a great video on the install on YouTube. I saved over $500.00.
Congrats............ gotta say that is one beefy hitch !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious to all those who have installed a hitch on their Ascents. We just purchased a 2019 Ascent (dealer demo) with 6,000 miles on it. Part of the deal is the dealer agreed to install a hitch for free. Just done today and noticed our RAB light is lit on the dash. I tried to turn it back on (putting vehicle in reverse and pressing the RAB option). However, I was unable to as it was "grayed-out". I assume the dealer installed the wiring incorrectly when it was installed. I will deal with them tomorrow.

Question ... has anyone had any RAB issues related to the hitch, whether towing or not?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I am curious to all those who have installed a hitch on their Ascents. We just purchased a 2019 Ascent (dealer demo) with 6,000 miles on it. Part of the deal is the dealer agreed to install a hitch for free. Just done today and noticed our RAB light is lit on the dash. I tried to turn it back on (putting vehicle in reverse and pressing the RAB option). However, I was unable to as it was "grayed-out". I assume the dealer installed the wiring incorrectly when it was installed. I will deal with them tomorrow.

Question ... has anyone had any RAB issues related to the hitch, whether towing or not?
Yes. Usually it means that the installer didn't properly reconnect the RAB harness for the radar units.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

Apparently "free" has a price. I am sure they can and will correct the wiring, while being slightly embarrassed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently "free" has a price. I am sure they can and will correct the wiring, while being slightly embarrassed.
Yes. Usually it means that the installer didn't properly reconnect the RAB harness for the radar units.

I'm sure that the dealer forgot to plug the RAB sensor from the chassis to the bumper cover. It's on the drivers side rear. They should be able to reach through the hitch area and connect it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I received a sealed OEM trailer hitch at no cost me (I also got the crossbars at no cost, too #winning) and was looking at getting it installed. The dealer told me they charge $285 to install the hitch and a local hitch installer, very reputable I have used them in the past, told me they are $95 a hour and it takes about 2 hours to do. In anyone's opinion, is it really worth paying the extra $85 and going to the dealer? Doing it myself is probably not going to be an option given the situation I'm in.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I received a sealed OEM trailer hitch at no cost me (I also got the crossbars at no cost, too #winning) and was looking at getting it installed. The dealer told me they charge $285 to install the hitch and a local hitch installer, very reputable I have used them in the past, told me they are $95 a hour and it takes about 2 hours to do. In anyone's opinion, is it really worth paying the extra $85 and going to the dealer? Doing it myself is probably not going to be an option given the situation I'm in.
If they can follow the instructions, being careful to reconnect and not damage the RAB harness, I don't see why they could not do it.

The instructions are easy to follow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the same and the total cost was $500. Including labor and wiring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
wait what????? How?

·
Registered
49 Posts
wait what????? How?
If you use the Costco Auto Buying program and do a vehicle purchase using their referred dealer, they email you a 50% Parts/Service coupon for taking a survey; max savings of $200. That might only be for Executive Members though.

FWIW, other dealers in my area were willing to do the Costco deal BUT the pricing on the vehicle or vehicles included in the program varied by dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you use the Costco Auto Buying program and do a vehicle purchase using their referred dealer, they email you a 50% Parts/Service coupon for taking a survey; max savings of $200. That might only be for Executive Members though.

FWIW, other dealers in my area were willing to do the Costco deal BUT the pricing on the vehicle or vehicles included in the program varied by dealer.
I see...yeah I could only find a 15% discount. Well, I went through Costco, but ended up not using the program, as the price i got was lower than Costco's direct from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts