Subaru Ascent Forum banner

OEM Crossbars - pros and cons

19K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  roblevas 
#1 ·
I think most of the crossbar discussions are from 2018, so I thought I would start a new one.

I just got a 2021 Ascent and am looking to purchase some crossbars for it. It is not clear what the best approach is. The $150 OEM crossbars seem to be compelling (part number: SOA843X040). However the $430 extended OEM set (part number SOA567X010) may be a better option and I can move them between my Ascent and my Impreza if needed. That said, I could also buy the OEM set fit for the Impreza for $150. So that is not a good reason to go with the extended set since the 2 sets would be about $300 - a bit less then the single extended set.

I have also looked at the Yakima Jetsteam and Corebar sets, which will wind up being even more expensive.

So far, it seems like the $150 OEM bars are the best for me. Does anyone have any guidance for me?

I plan to carry a rooftop box and maybe, in the future some kayaks or paddleboards.

Thanks...

#2 ·
It really comes down to how much do you really want to spend. If you don't need any special attachments for the water equipment then OEM bars are probably just fine. Now if you are looking for longevity then go with the Jetstream or core (especially if you plan to hold more weight). Or the Thule alternatives. Meaning you most likely can transfer it to your next vehicle by just changing the feet and if you are lucky you will not have to do anything at all. I didn't think twice about buying Yakima products for our Ascent. But, I've relied on the company since the late 90s.

#3 ·
Obviously...it depends. If you need to carry more than one type of thing on your roof (basket/box and a couple of bikes or a kayak), you're going to need the extended bars. If it's going to be an either/or situation, regular bars will work fine.

For the money, the OEM are a great option and will cover what 90+% of people need. Pick your needs first and your bars 2nd.

Finally, remember that no matter how much load the bars themselves state they can carry, your max load is limited by the roof of the vehicle. So nobody's bars are going to be able to magically increase your payload capacity.

#4 ·
OEM Aero vs OEM Aero Extended (by Thule) is more than just price... the OEM Aero only support 150 pounds, moving, sitting, not matter what or where. The OEM Aero Extended (by Thule) support rooftop tents and as much as 700 pounds when stationary (176 in motion).

If you don't need to have a lot of weight sitting, get the OEM Aero. If you plan on a rooftop tent, do NOT try it with the OEM Aero. People have already bent theirs. If not immediately (upon trying 700 pounds of tent and people), eventually, the bars will fail (as they have for others).

#6 ·
The OEM ones slide. Almost any roof box fits.

#11 ·
I wouldn’t see why not. However, some OEMs tend to be curved. For my old Xterra, I had Yakima tubular bars that sat high and the OEMs sat low between. Creating a basket effect. Depending on positioning, I could have placed stuff on the OEM bar. My Jetstreams are 2.75 inches wide, your surface would only be less that a foot. That would be an expensive foot.

#8 ·
OEM Aero crossbars are not flat, but I use a rack on them to create a flat surface. Aero Extended crossbars are flat.

#10 ·
@pdxeca @Hangman oh!!! Yeah, they'd have to be pretty narrow boxes to fit side by side. The Thule or Yakima flat bars would be a FAR better option, and almost all their flat bar options will add a few extra pounds of "in motion" weight capabilities.

#13 ·
I opted for a basket instead, because it allows other options when not using a bag...

...and then I never got around to buying a roof bag.

#15 ·
Hey all...

Thanks for you comments. I think I have ruled out the SOA843X040 bars and will look into either getting the extended ones (SOA567X010) or something comparable by Thule or Yakima. However I am not sure what exact Thule bars the OEM ones are.

As for pricing, the OEM bars seem to be the cheapest option since the come with the bars, towers, and locks. I found Yakima Corebar crossbars with Timberline towers and no locks for $390 (https://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=Y00422&pc2=Y00147). If I add the locks I am not sure there will be much cost difference.

#18 ·
FWIW, i personally like the sleek look of the OEM aerobars, so went with them and am using the $ saved to splurge on the new Yakima EXO system. Exo Haven't purchased that yet, just got the hitch installed, but I personally like the potential versatility and not having to put as much on the roof other than a box.

#21 ·
FWIW, i personally like the sleek look of the OEM aerobars, so went with them and am using the $ saved to splurge on the new Yakima EXO system. Exo Haven't purchased that yet, just got the hitch installed, but I personally like the potential versatility and not having to put as much on the roof other than a box.
Oooooh. I like that. But definitely going to have to save my pennies. The setup I want runs ~$1600.

#24 ·
Just fine. If the whirly thing takes it off, you've got much bigger problems.

A local carwash chain has a couple of locations nearby that don't have overhead brushes, just jets. Not only would you not have to worry about the (nonexistent) concern you bring up, they will take work trucks/vans with roof racks and stuff on the roof racks. I've seen Sprinter-type vans with ladders on the roof go through there without problem. I'll go there to get the big chunks off my Ascent with the cargo box still on top between trips. I have never taken OEM bars off a car for a wash.

#23 ·
I am using my old Subaru Branded Roof Box on the standard Ascent OEM cross bars. If I crowd the extreme side of the rack I can fit my Yakima Slim Shady Awning on the opposite side. With that accomplished I have approximately 12” of open cross bar which I have occasionally used to mount a fishI gotta rod carrier tube.

#26 ·
Hey community.. thanks for helping me make my decision.

So I finally got around to installing the bars and testing out my roof top carrier. I know it is not a cool Yakima or Thule one, but I have had this for years and it has served me well (see in the attached image).

In any case, I was wondering how we thought about my placement of it. I wanted to be towards the center of the car to hopefully help distribute the weight better since I will also be using a hitch mounted bike carrier with 4 bikes on it. However, maybe that is not a factor and I should have moved the bars back a few more inches. I did notice that there is a lot of noise if I flip up the back part of the moonroof; but, I didn't notice anything with it closed or with the moonroof fully slid open - both without the carrier attached.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Plant Hood Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.