Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Premium
142 Posts
FWIW, i personally like the sleek look of the OEM aerobars, so went with them and am using the $ saved to splurge on the new Yakima EXO system. Exo Haven't purchased that yet, just got the hitch installed, but I personally like the potential versatility and not having to put as much on the roof other than a box.
Oooooh. I like that. But definitely going to have to save my pennies. The setup I want runs ~$1600.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do the OEM bars do in a car wash? I am always taking mine on and off because I think that the big whirly thing is going to take my rack with it when it leaves.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
30 Posts
I am using my old Subaru Branded Roof Box on the standard Ascent OEM cross bars. If I crowd the extreme side of the rack I can fit my Yakima Slim Shady Awning on the opposite side. With that accomplished I have approximately 12” of open cross bar which I have occasionally used to mount a fishI gotta rod carrier tube.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Premium
142 Posts
How do the OEM bars do in a car wash? I am always taking mine on and off because I think that the big whirly thing is going to take my rack with it when it leaves.
Just fine. If the whirly thing takes it off, you've got much bigger problems.

A local carwash chain has a couple of locations nearby that don't have overhead brushes, just jets. Not only would you not have to worry about the (nonexistent) concern you bring up, they will take work trucks/vans with roof racks and stuff on the roof racks. I've seen Sprinter-type vans with ladders on the roof go through there without problem. I'll go there to get the big chunks off my Ascent with the cargo box still on top between trips. I have never taken OEM bars off a car for a wash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just fine. If the whirly thing takes it off, you've got much bigger problems.

A local carwash chain has a couple of locations nearby that don't have overhead brushes, just jets. Not only would you not have to worry about the (nonexistent) concern you bring up, they will take work trucks/vans with roof racks and stuff on the roof racks. I've seen Sprinter-type vans with ladders on the roof go through there without problem. I'll go there to get the big chunks off my Ascent with the cargo box still on top between trips. I have never taken OEM bars off a car for a wash.
Thank you for letting me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey community.. thanks for helping me make my decision.

So I finally got around to installing the bars and testing out my roof top carrier. I know it is not a cool Yakima or Thule one, but I have had this for years and it has served me well (see in the attached image).

In any case, I was wondering how we thought about my placement of it. I wanted to be towards the center of the car to hopefully help distribute the weight better since I will also be using a hitch mounted bike carrier with 4 bikes on it. However, maybe that is not a factor and I should have moved the bars back a few more inches. I did notice that there is a lot of noise if I flip up the back part of the moonroof; but, I didn't notice anything with it closed or with the moonroof fully slid open - both without the carrier attached.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

20210619_133645.jpg 20210619_140800.jpg

21 - 26 of 26 Posts