Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find in any forum thread the OEM pad thickness for a Limited trim. I noted that at about 19,000 miles my pad thickness was 9/32 but I have no reference of what it started at. I have about 24,000 miles on the vehicle now.

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
View attachment 3492

13.8mm for the rear.

I assume you want the front, but Centric doesn't list an application (yet?)
Subaru recently made some sort of revision to the front, so, there's not really any aftermarket options yet.

I managed 52,000 miles before I hit 3mm on all four of mine. They wore very evenly, and all four measured the same. Mine are pretty abusive miles made up of thousands of miles off road, and tens of thousands of miles of NY Metro Area stop and go traffic, so, I definitely can't complain.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subaru recently made some sort of revision to the front, so, there's not really any aftermarket options yet.

I managed 52,000 miles before I hit 3mm on all four of mine. They wore very evenly, and all four measured the same. Mine are pretty abusive miles made up of thousands of miles off road, and tens of thousands of miles of NY Metro Area stop and go traffic, so, I definitely can't complain.
that is great news. I too am getting good wear on my pads. Did you change out the brake fluid at 30,000? Was it just a drain and replace or complete flush? Is a flush necessary or recommended?

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
that is great news. I too am getting good wear on my pads. Did you change out the brake fluid at 30,000? Was it just a drain and replace or complete flush? Is a flush necessary or recommended?
I had mine flushed and refilled. But, keep in mind that mine get a bit more abuse.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anyone know what the minimum allowed thickness is? Dealer is telling me "need do your brakes now, but , Subaru won't pay for them until they are 1mm thick". Car is going in for state inspection and state inspection defers to the manufacturer on brake thickness. So in theory it should pass inspection until it fails Subaru standards.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Anyone know what the minimum allowed thickness is? Dealer is telling me "need do your brakes now, but , Subaru won't pay for them until they are 1mm thick". Car is going in for state inspection and state inspection defers to the manufacturer on brake thickness. So in theory it should pass inspection until it fails Subaru standards.
Your state may vary however the VA annual inspection manual states 2/32” is the minimum acceptable.
30B8CF00-DB97-45D7-8FF9-E4A3ED6F7CA6.jpeg

Since the inspection here is good for a year it should be safe to assume that thickness will get you thru the next year of driving.

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
I am unaware of that requirement, since Subaru considers 3mm to be the end of life. Mine went to a little over 52,827 miles (including with the rotors being machined at 21,485 miles and the same pads being reinstalled).

What mileage are you currently at?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just got back from the dealer. They are saying the rear brakes are 3mm and rotors fail state inspection due to a rust ridge. They wanted $450 and wanted to charge me for both pads and rotors (rear only), nothing would be covered under warranty. I am at 30,000 miles but we live where there are a lot of hills. Trying to figure out what to do next.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,989 Posts
The published Subaru warranty specifically says that brakes (and wiper blades) are covered during the 3/36 OEM warranty. You may want to have a discussion with SOA directly to ascertain your options.

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
I did submit something to SOA. Waiting to see what they say.

Not sure if SOA considers 3mm to be done, or if the squealers need to be touching?
3mm is the limit per SoA multi point inspection service docs.

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts