Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2019 Touring owners manual pg 191 states "Use only the ball mount supplied with this hitch". Is there a reason for that?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Couple of thoughts here. If you search this forum you will see a LOT of people that don't use the OEM ball mount and have had no issues. In fact, beginning in 2020, the ball mount was REMOVED form the list of material for the hitch installation. You have to buy it separately now. (It used to come with the hitch install)

But, there are some advantages to the OEM ball mount ... given that the drop distance is correct for your particular application. 1.) It is an extremely solid piece of equipment. 2.) The distance of the ball from the hitch is probably the shortest possible. This helps with keeping the tongue weight as close to the hitch as possible.

I have the OEM hitch for my 2020. (I had to buy it separately) But, I also have 3 or 4 others (non-OEM) that I use depending on what I am pulling. My Jet Ski works well with the OEM hitch, but utility trailer needs a different drop. Use a quality ball mount and you will be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
You can use any appropriately rated ball mount that has the proper ball height for the trailer you intend to tow., including an adjustable height ball mount. The OEM ball mount (which is excellent in quality and no longer shipped with the hitch receiver) provides a 6" drop which is appropriate for a ball height of about 18-19". It also places the ball "really close" to the back bumper and I suggest you will be best served by that same concept with any aftermarket ball mount you choose as it does impact weight-balance relative to tongue weight, even if slightly.

I will also suggest that the language in the manual for this specific thing is not what it should be. But the admonishment not to use WDH (weight distribution hitch) and external sway is very valid for Ascent. Those things should not be used with Ascent.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
It all depends on how closely you want to follow subaru recommendations. I use a weigh safe adjustable hitch.
The aluminum one? IIRC, you said you're very happy with it? I'm considering switching to aluminum.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
@Robert.Mauro you can also order it with the locks keyed alike.
Oh! Wow, I just realized the whole ball mount assembly locks into place too! That's cool! :) That's the "disconnect" point that's still vulnerable on my current setup. :-(

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I traded in my 2018 Outback, I made sure I gave them back the OEM ball mount (what am I going to do with it?) because it came with the factory hitch and fits it so well. Also gave them back the carpet wheel well pads, again, what am I going to do with them.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Joining the ball mount conversation with my solution. We ordered our '19 Ascent with the factory hitch and it came with the Subaru 6" drop ball mount (no ball) and it is very robust and heavy duty. As others have stated, it is very short and keeps the ball very close to the rear of the vehicle. Normally, this is a good thing. However, it is very loose in the receiver and rattles excessively. I attempted to find a suitable anti-rattle clamp, but could not find an acceptable one. I possibly could have modified the ball mount by grinding some weld bead but I decided not to do that on a structural component. My search for a new ball mount with a slightly longer shank (so the clamp will fit) led me to the Fastway Flash LBM 6" drop aluminum (10,000 lb. rating) locking ball mount. I use a Trimax THC200 anti-rattle clamp. The locking feature includes retractable hitch pins and tubular key lock. It is about 1/3 the weight of the steel ball mount. Easy to handle and store. I have been very happy with this arrangement.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
Just as a program note to folks new to towing...don't buy a 6" drop ball mount simply because the OEM ball mount that was provided for most of MY19 was a 6" drop ball mount. Buy a ball mount that's correct for your specific trailer's ball height requirements. 6" drop gives you 18-19" of ball height off the ground for rough estimation, but it's best to actually measure the trailer tongue when it's level and consider tongue weight as part of your decision.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just as a program note to folks new to towing...don't buy a 6" drop ball mount simply because the OEM ball mount that was provided for most of MY19 was a 6" drop ball mount. Buy a ball mount that's correct for your specific trailer's ball height requirements. 6" drop gives you 18-19" of ball height off the ground for rough estimation, but it's best to actually measure the trailer tongue when it's level and consider tongue weight as part of your decision.
I definitely concur. I had purchased the Curt 45900 adjustable mount. Found out the 6” drop wasn’t t enough. Had to switch to the 45926 (up to 10.4” drop) for our cargo trailer. It’s only 15.75” inches. Plus putting on the Eibachs next week 🤞 so I’ll need the extra drop as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
I got lucky that the 6" drop on the Ascent was the same 18-19" ball height as a 4" drop on my previous ride, a Grand Cherokee. That's the perfect ball height for my utility trailer as well as the U-Haul I used to, um...haul...stuff up from Florida when I cleaned out my mother's apartment last year. (The lightweight horse trailer I used to tow with the JGC had the same ball height coincidently, too)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts