Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on trailer weight that I can’t wrap my head around.

Trailer has a dry weight of 3280. I went to a CAT Scale on the way to the campground yesterday and had the trailer on one platform. Weight was 3140. Did a second weigh and was nearly the same and I had the Ascent entirely on one scale plate and the trailer on a different plate than the initial weigh, so I don’t think it’s the scale. We weighed the items in the trailer as we added them and that should have been about 255lbs.

What am I missing? No way Could my tongue weight be that much - it would blow through the Ascent’s limits I would think.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Based on the numbers given: 3280 + 255 = 3535 - 3140 = 395 lb., but that's probably not the real tongue weight, because that is not the way measuring tongue weight is done using a CAT scale.
With a UVW/dry weight of 3280 lb. you still need to add the weight of the battery, weight of the propane, weight of the water in the water heater (if any) and weight of water in the water lines (if any) along with the 255 lb. you weighed for the stuff you put in the trailer.
Is the 3280 lb. on a sticker on the trailer or did you get that off the company's Website?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If the trailer's axle weighs 3140, the rest of the weight is on the tongue. 3280 empty +255 added = 3535 total weight. 3535-3140= 395 lb tongue weight.

Axle weight + tongue weight will equal the total loaded trailer weight. Think of weighing yourself on one scale. Then stand with each foot on two different scales. The sum of the weights on the two scales must equal the weight when standing one scale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the trailer's axle weighs 3140, the rest of the weight is on the tongue. 3280 empty +255 added = 3535 total weight. 3535-3140= 395 lb tongue weight.

Axle weight + tongue weight will equal the total loaded trailer weight. Think of weighing yourself on one scale. Then stand with each foot on two different scales. The sum of the weights on the two scales must equal the weight when standing one scale.

Thanks. I think what threw me off was the weight of the trailer being below the dry weight of the trailer.

As Ken mentioned, I also need to factor in the propane (40lbs), battery (40-50lbs), and the water in the water heater, and tanks (less than 10 gallons), but let’s say 150lbs for water. That’s another 240lbs, so that’s closer to 500lbs I have added in trailer.

3280+500 = 3780. 3780-3140=640lbs.
If that’s the case, I have exceeded the Ascent’a limits by over 20%.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
At the scales, you can weigh your Ascent without the trailer hooked up and then weigh it with the trailer hooked up and the trailer axle off the scales. The diff is the tongue weight.

I mentioned elsewhere that you can weigh the tongue with a bathroom scale. Place a support 2-3' beside the scale and a support of equal total height on the scale. Place a beam across them and then lower the tongue in the center of the beam between the two supports. The scale will read 1/2 the tongue weight, so double it. The supports and beam must be up to the task. I made some from a 4x4.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
At the scales, you can weigh your Ascent without the trailer hooked up and then weigh it with the trailer hooked up and the trailer axle off the scales. The diff is the tongue weight.

I mentioned elsewhere that you can weigh the tongue with a bathroom scale. Place a support 2-3' beside the scale and a support of equal total height on the scale. Place a beam across them and then lower the tongue in the center of the beam between the two supports. The scale will read 1/2 the tongue weight, so double it. The supports and beam must be up to the task. I made some from a 4x4.
That’s brilliant. I wish I read that last year and I’m kicking myself for not thinking of it...
My bathroom scale only goes to 298 and maxed out of course.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Any chance you could take/post a photo of this setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. TIA if you can!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,282 Posts
@Chado, the idea is to weigh the Ascent all by itself, with no trailer, to get the weight of the vehicle. Then, as a second weight, weigh the Ascent with the trailer hitched to the car, but with the axles of the trailer off the scale...in other words, roll onto the scale and stop just before the trailer axles bear weight on the scale. This will capture the weight of the tongue on the back of your Ascent (so your weight will be more than just the Ascent alone), but it won't capture the axle weight of the trailer.

The difference between those two weights -- the second one with the weight of the tongue on the Ascent and the first one which is the Ascent all by itself -- is your tongue weight.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Any chance you could take/post a photo of this setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. TIA if you can!
Post #12 in the following thread has a diagram:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts