Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer (June 2019), I took my 2019 Ascent Premium in to have the A/C checked because it didn't seem to be cooling as it should. When I picked it up, they said the refrigerant was low, although they couldn't find any leak. They "topped up" the refrigerant and It seemed to work OK the rest of the summer.

With COVID and working from home since March, I haven't had much chance to drive it this summer, but when I finally did, it again seemed like the A/C wasn't cooling like I expected it to.

So I just did a test with 3 thermometers: one inserted in the A/C vent on the driver side near the center console, one on the passenger seat, and the outdoor temperature reported on the center console display. I did this sitting in the driveway with my foot on the gas to keep the RPMs up around 1750. The climate controls were set to LO temp, A/C on, recirc off, fan on 4, and sync on. Here's what I recorded.

Time (minutes)Vent tempSeat tempOutdoor temp
0:001109691
2:00609891
5:00709891
10:00859891
15:00689791
20:00659691

So initially the temperature in the vent dropped rapidly as I expected, but then it climbed back to an uncomfortable 85 over about 10 minutes before slowly dropping back to about 65. I know the compressor cycles on and off, but I wouldn't expect such a wide variation. And I would expect more than a 26 degree difference between ambient and cooled air.

Are my expectations out of line? Or do I need to make an appointment for service?

·
Registered
186 Posts
static in the driveway, the condenser does not get any 40mph ram air thru it. So I don't expect it to cool very well when not moving

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
static in the driveway, the condenser does not get any 40mph ram air thru it. So I don't expect it to cool very well when not moving
That's a fair point. I repeated the test with a 30 minute drive at 65 mph with the same climate control settings. Outdoor temp was a bit warmer at 97 - 99 F. I saw the vent temperature cool down from 101 to 48 degrees within 2 minutes and did not see the spike up to 85 that I saw in the driveway. However, the vent temperature did start to climb and after about 15 minutes it stabilized with minor fluctuations in the 62 - 65 range. It stayed in that range for the remainder of the ride.

Cabin temperature during this ride went from 112 at the start to 101 after 30 minutes. I know it will take a while for all the interior parts to cool down from 112, but only dropping 11 degrees in 30 minutes seems excessive. I guess a trip to the service dept. is in order.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Try the same with driving it and see if it makes a difference. It hotter where I live and we try to get moving quickly to get the car cooled off. This gets more air flowing over the condenser, it reduces the heat soak by getting air flowing through the radiator and over the engine bay, and it gets the compressor spinning faster. All this should start seeing the temps at the vent get colder. If not, Then take it to the dealer. In less than 20 minutes my car can be pretty cold and that is in the 99 degree weather we are having lately.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
We posted at the same time. Vent temp in the 60s is not right. You need to take it in and have the dealer find the leak this time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A followup for closure. Service dept at my dealer found a refrigerant leak around a pressure switch as described in TSB 10-92-19R. Replaced the line containing the switch and recharged the system (covered by warranty). Air felt MUCH colder on the drive home with the outside temp at 94F. I'm happy again. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts