Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought an Ascent last month. Approximately 1000 miles on it now. My wife has stated a few times it has started strangely. She presses the brake down, pushes the start button then it has an odd sound, when it’s turning over, dash lights up oddly and the start button has a red light. She stops it and retries it and it starts normally. Anyone else getting issues like this?

·
Registered
275 Posts
We bought an Ascent last month. Approximately 1000 miles on it now. My wife has stated a few times it has started strangely. She presses the brake down, pushes the start button then it has an odd sound, when it’s turning over, dash lights up oddly and the start button has a red light. She stops it and retries it and it starts normally. Anyone else getting issues like this?
No but that could be a sign of a low battery. See if this problem persists. I know someone else on this forum had a faulty battery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I would maybe hook up the battery to a tester and see what kind of amperage its putting out. If its low the starter might not be getting enough juice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The puzzling part is that it is intermittant. Did it the other day when she left for work in the garage. Then fine. Then did it the following day after work despite starting fine at home.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The puzzling part is that it is intermittant. Did it the other day when she left for work in the garage. Then fine. Then did it the following day after work despite starting fine at home.
Take it in and have them do a battery test - sounds like it's got a bad cell.

And yeah, that's more common (among all brands, not just us) than you'd think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an occasional hard start issue as well. The engine will crank for about 15 seconds before starting. Other times it starts instantly after pushing the button. I don't think it's a low batty in this case.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check the battery voltage when running vs when off. I had the same issue and the battery was only showing 10.5 volts because one of the cells was dead.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Battery or failing starter would be my guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an occasional hard start issue as well. The engine will crank for about 15 seconds before starting. Other times it starts instantly after pushing the button. I don't think it's a low batty in this case.
Check the battery voltage when running vs when off. I had the same issue and the battery was only showing 10.5 volts because one of the cells was dead.
we have also had this happen and it is not battery, it is electrical fuel or spark

·
Registered
227 Posts
we have also had this happen and it is not battery, it is electrical fuel or spark
Not to be an ass, but doesn't that contradict itself? The battery is part of the electrical. My rough starts where always due to long strained cranks because there just wasn't enough amps in the battery to turn the starter over.

It was more frequent on cooler days and when the car was sitting for more than a few hours. It could be a number of things, might as well take it to the dealer and get it resolved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem on " hard start", maybe 4 times in the span of 10 months of using the ascent. Now, im taking a video everytime i start it up , just in case it will hard start again, i will have the evidence. I dont believe this baterry.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had the same problem on " hard start", maybe 4 times in the span of 10 months of using the ascent. Now, im taking a video everytime i start it up , just in case it will hard start again, i will have the evidence. I dont believe this baterry.
I know I have had around 10 hard starts in the 11 months of ownership. Most of those during the winter but yesterday with it being 70 degrees out the same thing happened where it seemed to have issues turning over.

I have taken it in and had the battery tested and was told it was fine. I have to admit I might just replace the battery as the dealership won't. A video is a great idea to prove it so if you do get a video of the hard start please post so everyone can see!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts