Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 week in on a Touring. Did a 700 mile trip this weekend.
Few things that jumped out (coming from a 2015 3.6R)

- Good drive overall - the steering is a bit responsive but get used to it quickly
- The hood: Seems like the sheet of the hood bounces a bit if going at 80mph in windy condition (anybody else notice this)
- Trip stats: The 3.6R has an option to record trip and all the stats (altitude gain; top speed; start/stop time etc.). Didnt see this option in the Ascent
- Volume: Not sure why but changing the volume takes away the whole display for 2 seconds to show a giant music note sign (liked the 3.6R graphic better with a simple bar on top that didnt take away the whole display)..

Anybody else notice the items above?
cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
I definitely see the hood bouncing. Seems to be “normal” as it happens to everyone.

The volume control is annoying but tolerable.

Recording a trip sounds like a great idea. Would love to have that.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I noticed the hood bounce the other day driving on the highway,pulled over to make sure it was secured and it was.Kind of freakish to see that,assuming its happening due to air being directed into the duct for the intercooler and if you go over a certain speed.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hood bounce/flex is something that many others have noted - I'm not sure about here, but definitely on the FB Group.

As for the volume change lock-out of the screen, that's great fun to annoy the front passenger, when they try to change the station. Time it right, and you can head-off their input every single time. :D OK, I find it annoying, too, but heck, being able to play this trick on my wife and daughter makes the annoyance totally worth it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hard to tell if you’re going over 80 trying to stare at the hood and concentrating on the road(especially with the steering on the Ascent).From what I can tell it’s happening in the area over the air duct for the intercooler .I glanced at where the hinges are and didn’t see any movement .Its more over the center to where it slopes towards the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I noticed mine bounces a bit as well but since my old car did the same thing even worse it doesn't seem that bad to me.

Love the trip idea especially altitude since I'm curious if I'm coasting downhill or going uphill more on a trip.

For the volume I control everything from the steering wheel typically so it hasn't bothered me.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hard to tell if you’re going over 80 trying to stare at the hood and concentrating on the road(especially with the steering on the Ascent).From what I can tell it’s happening in the area over the air duct for the intercooler .I glanced at where the hinges are and didn’t see any movement .Its more over the center to where it slopes towards the front of the vehicle.
If I understood you properly, I'm guessing the latch isn't holding the hood tight enough, and may need to adjust down by 1/8" or so.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I noticed the hood bounce the other day driving on the highway,pulled over to make sure it was secured and it was.Kind of freakish to see that,assuming its happening due to air being directed into the duct for the intercooler and if you go over a certain speed.
I thought it just looked like the thin-ish sheet metal of the hood was flexing while driving. Didn't worry me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure if I have my facts, but I read somewhere the hood is made of aluminum. The rest of the body is high strength steel. If true, that might explain the hood movement. I noticed it on mine last week.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Not sure if I have my facts, but I read somewhere the hood is made of aluminum. The rest of the body is high strength steel. If true, that might explain the hood movement. I noticed it on mine last week.
I just checked. The hood is not magnetic so it very well could be aluminum.
Side note... the painted part above the chrome strip on the rear lift gate is also not
magnetic

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes the hood is made of aluminum. The chassis that unpin all of the vehicles (applicable to the Global Platform) is high strength steel, not sure about the body (frame and panels). As a side note, it would be nice to have aluminum chassis to cut down the weight by 25%.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My hood picks up at the front left and right corners. It stays in place at the back hinges and the front center latch. It's just a little odd to see the front corners picking up like that! I'm guessing that my corners flex up more than 1/4" and less than 1/2".

I haven't been bothered by it since the first time I noticed it (80mph, hard buffeting crosswind). Upon pulling over and checking it out, I can see that the hinges and latch are holding on. So I consider it normal and don't worry about it. (I don't see any chance of failure.)

T.P.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My hood is the same way as well. Was alarming when I first noticed it but it looks like it's "normal" and happens to a lot of Ascent owners. Has anyone brought this up to any Service Technicians?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Aluminum and plastic.

I just checked. The hood is not magnetic so it very well could be aluminum.
Aluminum

Side note... the painted part above the chrome strip on the rear lift gate is also not
magnetic
The rear garnish assembly is a combination of plastics: polycarbonate+PET, Acrylonitrile styrene acrylate plastic, ABS plastic, and thermoplastic olefin.

Short version is: plastic :grin: :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
822 Posts
If I understood you properly, I'm guessing the latch isn't holding the hood tight enough, and may need to adjust down by 1/8" or so.
There’s no play in the hood,feels tight as can be and it looks even with the fenders.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On our long trip to Florida from Philly (we have done this trip for 28 years), we cross over a high bridge between Delaware and Maryland that is well known for very high and potentially dangerous crosswinds. I was driving 65 and I really thought the hood would blow off. It flexed a lot to the extent I pulled over to check if the hood was latched. I have never seen this on any other vehicle; however, the wide open grill allows loads of airflow to the Turbo inter cooler. Still, it was really weird!

·
Registered
232 Posts
On a previous thread, the hood issue was mentioned as well and if I'm not mistaken someone had suggested a potential fix. Perhaps that person will see this and let us know. If I get some time over the next day or two, if it is not already added to the thread, perhaps I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There’s two rubber posts on the hood that’s threaded to provide tension/pressure when paired with the latch. They clan be rotated to increase upward pressure on the hood latch reducing movement

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.