Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubs bought me a leave-in-place OBD II reader for Christmas. But when I read the specs, it says it won't read the enhanced codes for Subaru's. (It will work for his 2000 4Runner but not my Subie). It will read the stuff for the check engine light but not the ABS, Airbag, Transmission, TPMS. I like the idea of seeing the enhanced stuff using my phone with a unit that stays plugged in instead of the type you use to just read specific events. Does anyone know of a brand that shows the enhanced codes for our Subaru? At least the times I've search for that on Amazon, I haven't found any that list Subaru as an option. Anyone have a pic of where you plug these things in? :grin: Any additional info or recommendations appreciated as I don't have any experience with these things but am curious to know more and what might be the best option for this car.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was going to send you a link to mine, but when I went to the website and put in the Ascent, it says it's not supported (Automatic.com - driving app). It does everything else but the codes (find my vehicle, etc.). As far as where to plug it in, do you have to get your emission tested every year to renew your license tags? If so, it's the same plug. I never looked at it, just reached my hand under (by your left knee cap - driver's side), found a hole and plugged it in.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It will read all OBD II codes, stored in the engine control unit (ECU), by definition. The OBD II standards are US mandated which is universal on all modern cars. Other controller units (eg body or airbag) are unique to the Subaru which requires unique code reader or diagnostic tool/scanner.

I believe the OEM diagnostic tool is called SUBARU select monitor (v. 4). it’s something I’m interested in gettting.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
It will read all OBD II codes, stored in the engine control unit (ECU), by definition. The OBD II standards are US mandated which is universal on all modern cars. Other controller units (eg body or airbag) are unique to the Subaru which requires unique code reader or diagnostic tool/scanner.

I believe the OEM diagnostic tool is called SUBARU select monitor (v. 4). it’s something I’m interested in gettting.

⇧⇧⇧This⇧⇧⇧

There's only one aftermarket app capable reader I've found that supposedly works, per the manufacturer, but owners have said it does not work with Subarus, and requires its own software. Not worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Anybody using the ActiveOBD android app? And if so, with what OBD bluetooth scanner. The app notes says ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth works but there are some reviews for the app the suggests it might not always work.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Anybody using the ActiveOBD android app? And if so, with what OBD bluetooth scanner. The app notes says ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth works but there are some reviews for the app the suggests it might not always work.
This works:
ActiveODB does not support all of the data points of the Ascent since it's based on an older SSM protocol. It does accurately measure temperatures though.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
That one does not work with Apple. Would this one work?

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows
I used to have that one, but not at the same time I was using ActiveODB, so, I am not sure.

Is ActiveODB available on iPhone? If not, then the adapter is fine for anything else, like Torque.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well I bought the OBDLink MX+. Using the app that comes with it I can read the standard generic OBD codes on my loaner Ascent. The app is actually rather nice; however, it does not recognize the Ascent yet. On my wife’s Chevy pickup it would look for the extended trouble codes on all sorts of the various modules. It will be real nice when they add the Ascent.

I tried to go to the ActiveOBD web page to see if they offer an IOS version yet and all I kept getting was that I was the 7.18th billion google search and I am a big winner. No way am I clicking on anything on that web page.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Have you tried Engine Link or Dash Command for iPhone?

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
I don't know. I have a Note 9. I was hoping you could tell me. ?

I don't think anything supports the full set, tbh. And nothing supports the SSM protocol based stuff in their entirety.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Bought the 426101 scan tool this morning from Robert's link earlier this morning when it showed up listed with a 20% discount. Arrives before Christmas even!
I know virtually nothing about the intricacies of these devices but I am very interested. I reviewed their website for this product and read that they do not support enhanced diagnostics for Subaru, does not provide OEM upgrades for Subaru ,does not provide live diagnostics for Subaru. I do not know what other options exist or if even though this unit does not provide these features for our vehicle, it is still worth it.

Please clarify.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
This works:
ActiveODB does not support all of the data points of the Ascent since it's based on an older SSM protocol. It does accurately measure temperatures though.
Mx+ is the latest of their product currently sold, but it references other auto manufacturers, not Subaru. Will this work well with Subaru? Which app do you recommend?

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Virtually none seem to list Subaru. But they all tend to work. I will email them about this one shortly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts