Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an ascent touring a few days after the pre-orders opened. I thought it would be a great family car. It should be here in a few days.

Now my wife is saying she wants a Land Rover discovery sport. I need to convince her otherwise.

·
Registered
978 Posts
What does she like about the Land Rover? I find it very odd that a wife would want a Rover that has a long list of features that are big gripes most women have about vehicles used to haul family.

Not to mention never has a Land Rover handled better than a Subaru.

Whos paying for it? LOL

I have owned Land Cruisers and full sized SUVs nothing about Rovers has ever been interesting especially the dismal mileage and retained value being near zero after a couple of yrs. Rovers also have been struggling in the tech side of things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What does she like about the Land Rover? I find it very odd that a wife would want a Rover that has a long list of features that are big gripes most women have about vehicles used to haul family.

Whos paying for it? LOL

I have owned Land Cruisers and full sized SUVs nothing about Rovers has ever been interesting especially the dismal mileage and retained value being near zero after a couple of yrs. Rovers also have been struggling in the tech side of things.
Yep. Not to mention, does RR have a system as good as Subaru's Eyesight? That for me would be the BIG selling point to my wife especially with kids involved.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I ordered an ascent touring a few days after the pre-orders opened. I thought it would be a great family car. It should be here in a few days.

Now my wife is saying she wants a Land Rover discovery sport. I need to convince her otherwise.
Tell her she can buy the Ascent now or buy it later and pay triple the cost, when figuring in the depreciation on the Land Rover and the deplorable reliability of the Land Rover.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Whos paying for it? LOL

I'm paying for it! Ha

Honestly I think she wants it just for the name. As it seems to lack in every department. She's not a rational woman.

·
Registered
29 Posts

As a current owner of a Discovery Sport, I implore you and and your wife to reconsider getting a LR Sport. The LR Sport has so many issues, its extremely infuriating!!! We have so many electronic and software glitches, the list of problems is long! Their customer service/local dealerships are a joke too. Trying to get the Sport serviced is multiple weeks wait for an appointment...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

As a current owner of a Discovery Sport, I implore you and and your wife to reconsider getting a LR Sport. The LR Sport has so many issues, its extremely infuriating!!! We have so many electronic and software glitches, the list of problems is long! Their customer service/local dealerships are a joke too. Trying to get the Sport serviced is multiple weeks wait for an appointment...
Thanks for that. I've read about a lot of issues with them. I think pressing the safety features is what might convince her.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Show her the Consumer Reports reliability numbers. Land Rover is in the bottom 3 of all manufacturers, behind even Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My Sister-in-Law bought one of those 2 years ago and before she had it a week, it went into the service department for 3 weeks. If you want to spend a lot of time in a service department, then it seems like the perfect vehicle. I love the looks of the new Alfa Romeo Stelvio and the Jaguar F-Pace. However, these nice looking vehicles are from the manufacturers that have had reliability issues 20-25 years years ago. It appears they haven't improved anything but their looks. I want looks AND reliability when it comes to spending my money. I'll stick with Subaru...for the third time!

Reactions: TimmyB

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Discovery Sport doesn’t have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, I don’t believe.
I drive a Chevy bolt. Great commuter car for me.
I told my wife a few months ago I'll never buy myself another car that doesn't have that feature. She doesn't know the joy of it though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Terrible reliability, among the 2 or 3 WORST EVERY YEAR along with a brutal resale value.
OH YEA, KINDA PRETENTIOUS TOO. At least get a BMW OR MB if that's what she wants..

·
Registered
583 Posts

If it is a family car you want then the Subaru Ascent is the right choice...It is probably the safest car on the road today. Subaru does 3rd row safety testing , which they are not required to do...That is how serious they take the safety of your family,your children.

·
Registered
171 Posts

If it's to be a family hauler then safety is the angle I would take as Subaru's are built like tanks. 6 years ago at the end of long road trip we were t-boned on our way home when another driver ran a stop sign in Chicago. The other car hit the passenger side of our Forester which is where my first born, who was a few months old at the time, was riding. The initial impact didn't seems that severe as the Forester absorbed the impact without really transferring the energy into the cabin, in fact we were unaware of how hard we must have been hit until surveying the damage once we were able to compose ourselves enough to get out of the car to check. The body panels on that side took some damage, but nothing compared to the other vehicle and thanks to the Subaru and a great car seat the baby slept through the entire ordeal. The Forester is no longer with us, but whenever it's been time to replace a vehicle for our now family of 4 we have done so with a Subaru when available. Today we have a '16 Outback for my wife, a '15 Impreza Sport and are waiting on the Ascent which will replace a '12 Honda Pilot as Tribeca didn't check any of our boxes for a family hauler with cargo space, and towing capacity at the time other than being a Subaru.

Many brands pride themselves on their vehicle safety ratings, and while the hope is that you never experience anything - I've never seen one that performs in real world applications like Subaru

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Terrible reliability, among the 2 or 3 WORST EVERY YEAR along with a brutal resale value.
OH YEA, KINDA PRETENTIOUS TOO. At least get a BMW OR MB if that's what she wants..
Ya and it's ridiculous LR makes you pay for any extras..like you want xm radio that $700, you want wifi that's another 400.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing that none of us have mentioned, how do you feel about your local dealers of each brand? Unless your LR dealer gets five stars consistently and your Subaru dealer gets poor reviews, it would be crazy to get a car with such a poor record of dependability.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One thing that none of us have mentioned, how do you feel about your local dealers of each brand? Unless your LR dealer gets five stars consistently and your Subaru dealer gets poor reviews, it would be crazy to get a car with such a poor record of dependability.
Actually I wasn't impressed with the LR dealer at all. My Subaru dealer has donuts every morning!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts