Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to play out my Ascent fantasies this afternoon as my lovely spouse had her MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight in for service and it was an opportunity to fondle the Ascent up close and personal for the first time. That, of course, led to a test drive since our salesperson was in, despite the weather. Who am I to refuse that? :grin: I was extremely pleased with the vehicle's comfort, quietness and handling. The steering felt "more assisted" than I'm used to with what I drive now as well as with both of our Outbacks, but not in a way that was off-putting. I'm a "light foot" driver, so acceleration and performance were just fine for me...I'm not going to pine over giving up the big, hungry Hemi I drive now for sure.

My normal buying habits with vehicles over the years is to buy the "it slices it dices" trim with all the bells and whistles which here means the Touring. But I'm honestly slightly tired with a saddle leather color interior since I've been driving in that for 7 years now with my Grand Cherokee. Don't get me wrong...I like it. My phone case even matches it. But I've been coveting a lighter interior for what comes next. (anyone who knows me knows I also hate dark interiors) The loaded Ascent Limited satisfies that need. The thing is, I lose the ventilated seats which I actually have used quite a bit while traveling over 108K miles with the Jeep. I don't care about the 120v outlet and the front camera isn't of major need, although I certainly like the idea. Pretty much everything else is served up with a loaded Limited and it comes down to whether or not about two grand matters for those perforated seats. I'm honestly leaning Limited at this point just because of that interior.

Your thoughts? What am I going to miss out on that isn't obvious to me now if I don't go for the Touring?

·
Registered
672 Posts
The SmartView rear camera in the Touring is worth the jump if you use the third row for (especially adult) passengers or otherwise tend to stack up cargo sufficient to obscure the interior rearview.

With the current Touring trim, that light band of trim brightens up the interior quite a bit, particularly if you are the type who keeps the moonroof's shade retracted. That said, while the Java leather isn't exactly dark, it certainly also isn't light-and-airy.

Give the Touring an extended test-drive, and keep that moonroof shade retracted and see what you think of it. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got the Premier (which is Canada's version of the Touring) just for the brown leather (my wife loves it). Beyond the leather, I was okay to not have the other "Touring" features. However, after a few road trips with luggage packed to the brim, I absolutely love the smart rearview mirror. I'm not sure if that is included in the trim you're looking at but it is worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you can wait, I would consider waiting to see if there are any changes in the 2020MY. I see that the new Forester is not limited to one interior color in Top Trim as I believe Subaru's lineup has been for some time. Maybe Subaru is going to allow a little more customization of colors in Touring trim. Personally, I have my fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The SmartView rear camera in the Touring is worth the jump if you use the third row for (especially adult) passengers or otherwise tend to stack up cargo sufficient to obscure the interior rearview.
The third row seat will likely remain folded down for almost the entire time I own the vehicle.... :smile: But there is the "occasional" potential for blocking the view with cargo, although not often. Most of my cargo needs are somewhat "flat" and I use my trailer for larger loads. But I appreciate that comment and it's something to think about.
-----

Dandy, I've thought about waiting for MY20 and that might still happen. I'm undecided about that. I do have "the itch" as I've been in my current ride for 7 years and 108K miles, mostly highway...I have to think about this a little more.

Reactions: Dandy and TSiWRX

·
Registered
166 Posts
I personally would go for the Touring. Having it all is the way to go. When I had my Land Rover, I went stepped down and was upset when I rode in others or got a loaner that had more options.

The rearview mirror in the Touring is awesome and very handy when needed!

I love the finishes and the colors as well as the captains chairs... So right fit for me.

I almost always have the third row up and not folded down. There is still a good amount of cargo space with them up.

Bottom line, don't get into something where you will be wanting for missing options (even if they are minor or not often used).

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just figured out another difference is the rain sensing wipers which I have now and really appreciate. Hmm....it may be another 7-10 years "in the saddle". LOL

So what other little "Touring" things do I need to know about that don't appear (or don't appear clearly) on the Subaru features listings?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just figured out another difference is the rain sensing wipers which I have now and really appreciate. Hmm....it may be another 7-10 years "in the saddle". LOL

So what other little "Touring" things do I need to know about that don't appear (or don't appear clearly) on the Subaru features listings?
I like my approach lighting mirrors.
I also like all the USB ports
The upgraded audio is also very nice in my opinion.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would wait for the 20 Outback with the 2.4. If your not in need of the extra room or SUV look the Outback would be my choice and judging from the interior of the new Legacy its a step up from the Ascent in a smaller package

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
GHP1, we have two Outbacks in the driveway already (2011 Limited and 2016 Limited with Eyesight)...I'm more comfortable in the larger Ascent as it would be replacing my MY12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. I want/need the higher seating position and need the cargo space for my various pursuits.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like my approach lighting mirrors.
I also like all the USB ports
The upgraded audio is also very nice in my opinion.
The approach lights are also available on the Limited (and are on my builds) as is the upgraded audio. We have them on our 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight, too. The only USB ports I really "need" are the ones in the front row for Carplay and one in the second row for one passenger to charge from. My two kids are young adults; the younger drives our 2011 Outback and the older doesn't drive.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I find my Touring's rear view mirror/ camera interesting, especially when I have my huge hitch box mounted (Stowaway2 Max). It sits pretty high, and the camera helps see past it (kinda).

Problem is, my middle aged eyes need reading glasses for anything closer than arms length.

With a real mirror image, I go from infinity focus (looking out the windshield) to infinity focus (glancing at the rear view mirror). Easy peasy. But when using the video mirror option to see over cargo or cargo box, the glance-transition to arms-length focus is just difficult, takes an extra second, and never gets as focused for me (too high to be viewed through the bifocal lens low in my glasses).

Anyway, if you have any sort of near-vision correction, the mirror feature is worth a test drive to see if your eyes will find it useful.

F.S.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re the video rear mirror, problem with near vision for older folk like me. Try lowering the mirror into your near vision area of you glasses and you will find it easier to see.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've had too many issue with sunroofs in the past that even though i wanted the Touring I passed on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
While I'm having a hard time transitioning over to using it all the time as my wife does, I think that the rear view camera/mirror is a very valuable feature. Not only does it provide a significantly wider field of view, it also seems to be better in low light. What I don't like about it is that it makes cars seem closer to the rear of the car than they actually are. The front camera can be handy for pulling out, and as we live in the Mojave, the ventilated seats are a must. I'm right with you on the rain sensing wipers - they're now a must-have for me. I also love the LED headlights with the automatic brights feature, though I don't think that these are exclusive to the touring. I've been fine with the leather color all along, but I know that I would miss the ventilated seats and rain-sensing wipers far more than I would be bothered by an interior color that wasn't my favorite.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've had too many issue with sunroofs in the past that even though i wanted the Touring I passed on it.
I would be having it regardless of whether I get a Limited or Touring since it's in the package for the former. I've never had a problem with one yet in all of the vehicles I've had them. I don't run with them "open" very much, but appreciate the extra light in the winter for sure.

Another feature I've caught that's in the Touring only that's not exactly called out very well is the rain sensing wipers...I've had that for a long time, so going Limited would cause that to be lost. It may not be such a major thing given I don't drive the miles I was doing any more prior to retiring from full time work, but it's still something I happen to like and use, just like the ventilated seats.

Reactions: dgc1962

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rain sensing wipers

I recently got a custom built Limited (blue with 8 passenger seating, no moonroof or nav, the RF speakers, lighted/dimming side view mirrors, tow hitch and a couple other options) and I love it. The only thing I wish I could have added from the Touring are the rain sensing wipers.

The RF speakers are nice, but the sound doesn't reach the 3rd row well. If you have music up loud enough for the 3rd row to hear clearly, you won't be able to talk with passengers back there. Maybe the HK audio wouldn't have that issue?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you are used to all the bells and whistles then if you don’t go with the touring then there will always be regrets. I have seen this more than once with other brands with me and others.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts