Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (my wife and I) brought home a new 2021 Ascent Limited w/Tech Package, Popular #2 and some other BS options last weekend. Got it in MGM after our last three cars were white, thought we'd change it up a bit this time and we liked the darker color against the unpainted body trims.

I'm waiting to get PPF (tough to get an appointment during "car buying season"), so it has just sat in the driveway except for two trips to/from the dealer. That's the only action it has seen.

I waited to post here because there have been some "issues"/observations that I wanted to research a little more before posting about them (didn't want to sound like I'm griping too much or have buyer's remorse):
  • Left rear turn signal has condensation in the housing - the car is parked outdoors and it's only completely dried out once over the course of a week; that happened to be the day I took it to the dealer to look at it (go figure...). California temps, where I am, have been mostly low 40s to mid 60s.
  • Leather on driver's side seat extension wasn't fully clicked/snapped in and moving around (handled this myself)
  • Some mildly uneven gapping of body panels - apparently the hood stoppers on '21s are not adjustable
  • Windshield washer fluid reservoir looks completely dry/empty - I understand this is normal, but just seems weird that there's nothing in the neck at all...? Why have a "max" line if they don't intend for you to ever fill it that far?
  • Desperately need to figure out to how disable some of chimes - it's a little overboard at times... :)
Let me start by saying that we've had a somewhat drawn out search - as evidenced by my "join date" here. What got us started looking at the Ascent back in 2018 was the possibility that our previous SUV was going to get bought back (it wasn't, I'll come back to this...) so we actually started looking in late 2017. At the time, we had one child and a second on the way so we decided that we'd get a larger SUV (i.e. three rows) for our next purchase. At the time we mostly considered the XC90 and Q7.

When we learned that our SUV was NOT getting bought back, that took away any urgency and we sat idle but kept our eyes open for when the day came that we would upsize. As we started to travel more with two kids, we found that we were running out of space on road trips and started to rent larger SUVs (my wife doesn't exactly pack "light"); our SUV did not have roof rails and they could not be retrofitted. So, fast forward to the end of 2019, we started to look at options again (somewhat fresh off of a Disneyland road trip with one grandma and having to rent an larger SUV, again).

Earlier this year we got very close to buying a CX-9 and after that leaned toward a X5 with the optional 3rd row. More recently, and probably the other most viable option, was the MB GLS. We decided to go with the Ascent for a number of factors, but most prominently, the "bang for the buck" factor and knowing how hard our kids are on stuff. It checked all of the proverbial boxes and didn't present any "red flags" for us. Oh, and I've come to realize my tolerance/OCD has a price after all - apparently that's about $50K or less... haha

At various points in time we considered the following: GLS450, X5, CX-9, GX460, Q7, XC90, and 4Runner (somewhat chronologically ordered).
Less seriously: Palisade/Telluride, RX350 L, Atlas, and Explorer ST.

It was a tough decision in the end. We were moving on from my wife's Porsche Cayenne diesel that gave us 7.5 years of loyal, problem-free service and a lot of driving enjoyment; anyone familiar with the VW emissions "scandal" can now connect the dots about the buy-back I alluded to above. Having brought our two kids home in it, there was also sort of an emotional attachment for my wife. The Cayenne was everything we could have asked for from a mid-sized SUV - prior to needing additional space. It handled like a car, got 27+ MPG in mixed driving, and was pretty low maintenance, IMO.

All that said, we don't expect the Ascent "replace" the Cayenne - if that's all that mattered, we would have bought something else in the end. We're realistic and there are things the Ascent probably does better than a Cayenne. We're looking forward to enjoying the Ascent and Subaru ownership experience in the years to come.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Hi, one quick answer. The washer reservoir holds 1.2 gallons, so, it's never into the neck on a fill from empty with a one gallon jug. When the light goes on, you can pour a full gallon container into it. Depending on how long you wait from the light going on, you may or may not see it fill part of the filler tube.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
  • Windshield washer fluid reservoir looks completely dry/empty - I understand this is normal, but just seems weird that there's nothing in the neck at all...? Why have a "max" line if they don't intend for you to ever fill it that far?
As Robert stated the reservoir holds over 1 gallon. That extra .2 gallons equals 25.6 ounces (over 3/4 of a quart).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, one quick answer. The washer reservoir holds 1.2 gallons, so, it's never into the neck on a fill from empty with a one gallon jug. When the light goes on, you can pour a full gallon container into it. Depending on how long you wait from the light going on, you may or may not see it fill part of the filler tube.
As Robert stated the reservoir holds over 1 gallon. That extra .2 gallons equals 25.6 ounces (over 3/4 of a quart).
Yeah, I understand what the capacity is, but it just seems like a weird design to have that neck with a "max" indicator that you can't really fill to without running the risk of spillage. You also can't see the tank either, so you never really have an idea of how much is in the tank. Granted, we don't use the windshield washer at all really so it's not an issue; mostly just an observation there and I did search the forums about that.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
@Scoobydoo

I wanted the GX460, w/ 2nd row captains chairs (MY2017+), but my budget wouldn't allow it. I came from a 4Runner (18-19MPG) and its cousin would've been a natural transition. Overall I'm pleased w/ the 2019 Ascent Limited (19-20mpg).

What put you off from getting the GX460?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Scoobydoo

I wanted the GX460, w/ 2nd row captains chairs (MY2017+), but my budget wouldn't allow it. I came from a 4Runner (18-19MPG) and its cousin would've been a natural transition. Overall I'm pleased w/ the 2019 Ascent Limited (19-20mpg).

What put you off from getting the GX460?
Wife doesn't care for the body-on-frame truck-like driving experience of the GX and 4Runner. If it were purely my choice, I'd have gone for either of those. I was pushing the GX w/captain's chairs for a little bit, but no-go... haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.