Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing with the upper display pod yesterday and had it on the screen that shows % of accelerator, instant MPG, and average mph. When I had my foot on the pedal, the % of throttle showed and varied according to pedal pressure, but when I put it on CC, the % of throttle instantly read "0%". If I manually accelerated, it showed the % again, then back to zero.

Anyone else noticed this? It would have been interesting to see how much throttle the cruise control system applies when accelerating vs manual driving (usually more)

·
Registered
920 Posts
It makes sense... that's the reading from the throttle pedal itself.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Well, yes, but if you let your foot "hover" above the accelerator while on cruise, you can feel it move (or at least mine does)...I can actually feel the pedal move away from my foot when it accelerates.
That's interesting. I've never had car with an electronic throttle do this and our Ascent doesn't do this either. I'm almost certain that there's no motor function in the pedal. There's just a position sensor.

In fact, you will notice there to be a "dead" spot in the pedal when using cruise control. Because the pedal does not move on its own, you need to depress it some before you get to the point where you're calling for more throttle than the computer is calling for. You can see this with the little cruise control icon on the instrument cluster display. If the icon is green, then the computer is controlling the car, even if you're depressing the accelerator some. But if you depress it more and more, you'll eventually call for more throttle than the computer is and then that icon will turn white, indicating that the computer is no longer driving (you are). Release the throttle, and the icon will turn green again.

If your Ascent's accelerator pedal actually moves itself when cruise control is on, it's definitely different from ours.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's normal. I'm fact, even my 2018 6-speed WRX did the same thing when cruise control was set

The only quirk I've noticed is when I'm driving my fuel is consumed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.