Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for having everyone...
names Herb..

I’ve passed on the highlander, Atlas, traverse and now I’m down to the Subaru and the 2020 Explorer with the V6. I will be heading to the philly car show to compare these 2 vehicles best I can..

my issue is with the longevity of these 4 cyclinders that Manufacteres are putting in.

Will it be able to get out of its own way in say 10years? The 4 ‘s in the past we all know would loose lots of power over time. Especially after years of family vacations fully loaded. (Probably no towing)
I know for sure a V6 will as I had many with 100+k and no issue going 2k miles on vacation fully loaded..
I’m also seeing pretty bad gas mileage (a lot of good also) from these Ascents, and first thought is because it can’t pull a 4K plus vehicle effiecently with a 4cylinder.. (my 92 f150 5.0 is a daily driver and I get 14mpg has 215k miles on it)

I’ve never owned a Subaru I’m a ford guy..
my wife has a Ford Edge now and doesn’t want another Ford.. hence the reason I need to look at other vehicles and Subaru is where I would go if I have too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our past 3 vehicles have been Acadia's, an 08, 11 and 17, all V-6's. The Ascent has as much, if not more, seat of the pants torque than any of those 3. I'm not sure why a 4 cylinder would loose power over time compared to a 6. This is our first 4 cylinder anything so no experience with that. We liked the way it drove, the comfort and eye candy level of the Touring, the 7 passenger seating and the safety features as the main reason we bought it. Right now the fuel mileage is sitting at 22.9 and that is mostly around town driving.

·
Registered
646 Posts
All I can say is Subaru has been making 4cyl turbo cars for a long time and when i sold my 03 WRX at 130,000 miles it was going just as strong as ever. The outback sport had over 180k and was just as strong as my current 08 impreza.

The longetivity will probably be tied closer to the turbo (which your Ford will also have) than to the motor (statistically, individual cases will vary).

I also don't really understand the 4s lose power over time where the 6/8s do not? I haven't noticed this outside of normal wear and tear on any newer models. Sure maybe the old 4 cylinder s-10/ranger/etc of the 90s but that happened with the 6/8s as well.

Reactions: SBPC20

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I can say is Subaru has been making 4cyl turbo cars for a long time and when i sold my 03 WRX at 130,000 miles it was going just as strong as ever. The outback sport had over 180k and was just as strong as my current 08 impreza.

The longetivity will probably be tied closer to the turbo (which your Ford will also have) than to the motor (statistically, individual cases will vary).

I also don't really understand the 4s lose power over time where the 6/8s do not? I haven't noticed this outside of normal wear and tear on any newer models. Sure maybe the old 4 cylinder s-10/ranger/etc of the 90s but that happened with the 6/8s as well.

Yes this right here is what I’m referring too.. are these motors any better that the 4’s from the prior years..
and yes they all loose power, but the 4 was just a lot more noticeable imo.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes this right here is what I’m referring too.. are these motors any better that the 4’s from the prior years..
and yes they all loose power, but the 4 was just a lot more noticeable imo.
Yes, these motors are way better than the 4 cylinder domestics of the 90s.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
771 Posts
The 90s were a long time ago.....

And today's turbo-4s are even better than they were just a decade ago. My wife's '16 WRX, compared to my '05 Legacy 2.5GT, sips gas.

And speaking of that car, I let my '05 LGT - a turbo 4 - go in 2013. This vehicle was professionally tuned, and on the dyno, it was putting down considerably more power than a factory STi of the same generation.

To the best of my knowledge through its two subsequent owners, up until 2017 or so, there were no major troubles, including drivetrain.

Today's turbocharged, small-displacement engines are not the same as yesteryears'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too am considering an Ascent, but several factors keep turning me away: CVT transmission, 1st Model year, 1st year for this engine (correct?). I've never owned a Subaru before but LOVE all the other aspects of the Ascent. Subaru has awesome AWD and I'm so over Honda's. Their quality is not what it used to be. I like Toyota too, but no Apple Car-Play?!

Still pondering...

·
Registered
646 Posts
I too am considering an Ascent, but several factors keep turning me away: CVT transmission, 1st Model year, 1st year for this engine (correct?). I've never owned a Subaru before but LOVE all the other aspects of the Ascent. Subaru has awesome AWD and I'm so over Honda's. Their quality is not what it used to be. I like Toyota too, but no Apple Car-Play?!

Still pondering...
The 2.4 is heavily based on the 2.0 which has been around since 14. Same with the CVT based on the HDCVT thats was introduced in 14 with the Forester and in 15 with the Outback 3.6. Both have some unique components that are for the Ascent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 2.4 is heavily based on the 2.0 which has been around since 14. Same with the CVT based on the HDCVT thats was introduced in 14 with the Forester and in 15 with the Outback 3.6. Both have some unique components that are for the Ascent.
So are you saying that it’s evolutionary? Not quite revolutionary? That with minimal changes and years of experience with the technology, one should expect few issues from a 1st year?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts