Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks, I get it but don't like it. I am sure there are other people than myself that were looking at this as part of the decision making process.
Yes, me included, which is part of why I have been waiting. I am waiting to see what else arrives in this segment that is GVWR 6001+. It appears that the KIA Telluride, so I can also assume the Hyundai Palisade have a GVWR around 5736-5917 depending on configuration. See screenshot.

I believe the only "mainstream" 3 rows that might be 6001+ will be the Lincoln Aviator and the Ford Explorer. My 2015 Flex is 6250.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The media dropped the ball on this one, and they don't always go back and fix old articles.

Actually on topic - since we have a Rover store as part of our group, this does come up in conversation frequently. There's a lot of customers that come into our Rover store that need to buy a new car that fits this category. I've seen them spend more than $100,000 on a new car because they needed the tax break.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alas, they are incorrect... the Ascent is ALWAYS 6,000 pound GVWR

Someone is misinformed. Absolutely every production and press and demo Subaru Ascent ever built for sale and/or use in the United States, regardless of trim level, accessories or options, is always and exactly 6,000 pounds GVWR.

This is the Touring. More specifically, this is MY Touring, which has almost every available option and accessories, factory installed.

This may also be confirmed with Subaru of America, which we have already done. This can also be confirmed by going to any Subaru dealership in the United States and opening every drivers door on every trim level Ascent on the lot. They will ALL have the same GVWR of 6,000 pounds. Just like mine:

I think some of the confusion was because some Canadian publications and some publications using Subaru Canada's releases miscalculated the GVWR in pounds. When they did the conversion to pounds from kilograms, they rounded up.

In other cases, it was wishful thinking, specifically for the tax deduction that does NOT apply to the Ascent.
Was it worth the high cost, for all the bells & whistles? Or no?

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Was it worth the high cost, for all the bells & whistles? Or no?
I don't understand your question. I'm utterly thrilled with my Ascent, if that's what you are asking, but this isn't the thread to ask that.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@rychastings said:
they couldnt bump it up a lb even for the 2021 model year?
I don't see why they'd do that. It wouldn't be a passenger car in numerous states, without a bunch of certification work. And it absolutely wouldn't be a Class I vehicle. A Class I vehicle is 6,000 pounds or less. Also, that tiny one pound changes numerous regulatory requirements.

It's not a light truck, and I'd bet good money that it won't ever be bumped into the same category.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yep, every trim, all years, 6,000 pounds on the dot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Let's be very clear about why this is so: SUVs over 6000 lbs GVWR in the US are designated as Class IIa vehicles and you can get fined for driving on certain roads in a Class II vehicle, namely highways.

SUVs are in a grey area because there are cars and there are trucks. SUVs don't really exist because it goes back to their build process and most used to be on truck beds then things changed and the US tax law has not kept up.

Nevertheless, for Tax year 2020 if you buy a 2020 or 2021 Subaru Ascent it is 6k GVWR on the dot and you don't get section 179 deduction, but you do get bonus depreciation which is more valuable to your business because unlike Section 179 deductions, a depreciation deduction can let you have a net operating loss (NOL).

I don't have my charts with me right now, but I believe first year depreciation on a business vehicle under bonus is $18,100. Not bad.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,416 Posts
Let's be very clear about why this is so: SUVs over 6000 lbs GVWR in the US are designated as Class IIa vehicles and you can get fined for driving on certain roads in a Class II vehicle, namely highways.
Plenty of SUVs in the US have higher GVWR...and many of them are unibody just like the Ascent. Grand Cherokee, for example, has a 6500 GVWR. Subaru chose to limit the Ascent to 6000 GVWR, but I doubt it's for the reason you cite.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Plenty of SUVs in the US have higher GVWR...and many of them are unibody just like the Ascent. Grand Cherokee, for example, has a 6500 GVWR. Subaru chose to limit the Ascent to 6000 GVWR, but I doubt it's for the reason you cite.
You are not incorrect but remember 2 things I said:

1) SUVs are in a grey area
2) You can be fined for driving on a highway with a Class II vehicle including a Dodge Durango, Chevy Tahoe, etc as you mentioned. I'm not saying it happens a lot, but it does happen. These SUVs are supposed to be used for hire of transporting passengers, btw.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also if you're doing the math and not getting GVWR:

1) Exactly 6000 lbs = 2721.554 kg which would be 2722 kg but it shows 2721
2) 2721 kg = 5998.778 lbs which would be 5999 lbs, but it shows 6000

So we most likely have between 2721.33 kg and 2721.49 kg which would all round up to 6000 lbs and round down to 2721 kg.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Where will we get fined driving our class 2A Toyota Tundra? Just checking the Merritt Pkw in CT and NJ Parkway in NJ, it looks like we're good. So where wouldn't we be good?

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Where will we get fined driving our class 2A Toyota Tundra? Just checking the Merritt Pkw in CT and NJ Parkway in NJ, it looks like we're good. So where wouldn't we be good?
My brother has gotten fined for his Dodge RAM 2500 King Cab (full bench second row) on the Southern State Parkway, a few times. He no longer drives it on the parkways. DMV insisted it had to be registered as a commercial vehicle (note the plates with the numbers plus 2 letter designation, instead of the passenger car 3 letter plus 4 number designation).

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
You can be fined for driving on a highway with a Class II vehicle including a Dodge Durango
The current Durango is the same vehicle as the Grand Cherokee with 5" extra wheelbase to support the third row. The previous generation Durango was based on the old Dodge mid-sized pickup. (body on frame)

I've never in my 64 years known anyone for being fined for driving any of these vehicles on the highway...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
24 Posts
@Jim_in_PA

This is (to my knowledge) a NY State specific issue. NY considers pretty much all pickup trucks "commercial vehicles" and as such, bans them from those roadways. GVWR isn't really a consideration. So you can get a ticket for driving your 1996 Ford Ranger on the West Side Highway, but it's totally fine to drive your Navigator or Yukon XL on the same road, despite the GVWR being almost double.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
That's kinda weird/sad given the very high percentage of half ton pick-em-up-trucks that are purchased as daily drivers/mall-crawlers by the general public. I can see that designation for 3/4 ton and up given they are more likely to be being used as commercial vehicles. But then again, logic doesn't always prevail and fortunately, restricted highways are not common in most geographies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey I grew up in CT and if I remember: there's no shoulder on the Merritt to pull anyone over.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Other than grass, there still isn't. Or on chunks of the Taconic's north-of-I287 stretch.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts