Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got orders for California next year, and now Im trying to sell the NC-CA travel to my wife. Im new in the States, (4 years) and I've seen Wrong Turn and the Val Kilmer movie. But, Im still attracted to the idea.

PROs and CONs for those who have tried it?

How many times do you think, will the A-beam panel fall off during this long drive? :D

Cheers.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Since that is less than 3,000 miles what is your concern?

We did a 8,400 mile trip last winter with a full load and 2 dogs that we started right after the break in period. We had zero problems with the Accent, still haven't had any at 16,000 miles.

Never had a rattle, squeek or leak.

We've done this trip many times but this time my wife did almost half of the driving, she usually does about 1/4. She loves driving the Subaru.

·
Registered
372 Posts
NoCal or SoCal? Watch the weather as you might want to drop down to I-40, or even I-10, if there is a winter storm hitting out west.

·
Registered
934 Posts
No problem driving cross country. It can be a lot of fun. I am generally on a mission to get to the end so I don't dawdle or sitesee, but most like to take a little time and enjoy things along the way (world's biggest ball of twine, etc.). I've done it a good number of times over the years in cars, trucks, and motorcycles. I've done it in private planes too, but that ain't drivin', per se. Just apply some common sense. My last XC trip was a Dec a year ago. As Q-Man13 pointed out, we detoured south around a big storm sweeping through CO, and NE at the the time. No problem though.

None of those trips were in an Ascent, or any Subaru for that matter. The Ascent would be nicer than any of those previous vehicles, if a bit slower than the planes.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,127 Posts
Do the trip and if you can arrange it within the "when can you leave" and "when do you need to be there" parameters, take a little time to see some of the country along the way. It's not often that many of us get to do that and there are some absolutely beautiful things between NC and CA to experience. My niece is hoping her husband's orders for the east coast come in for next year (missed it twice already) so that they can potentially drive it from San Diego and have their two young boys (pre-teen) have some experiences of a lifetime along the way.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
7,757 Posts
Let me add another 8,400 mile trip.
In two weeks we did an 8,400 mile trip from Long Island to Moab Utah, to California, and back and forth between Sequoia and Death Valley, to Yellowstone, to Cedar Rapids, and down through Virginia and West Virginia, and then back home. The car was packed so full that we had to use the Smart Rear View Mirror Cam.

There were over 30 hours of off roading. To put that in perspective, if you commute an hour a day, five days a week, that's just shy of a month and a half of your commuting time. Off road. Oh, and I didn't air down. No time, and didn't feel like it... so, it was a bumpy bit of off roading, especially on the stone "shelves" of the top of Arches National Park (center bottom pic - that's all rock shelf).

Nothing fell apart. The car went on to tow a travel trailer that weighs as much as an Ascent to Montauk Point and back, and then off roading a bunch more times.

I break 50,000 miles next month. Breaking 47,000 miles next week.

I regularly beat the heck out of my Ascent in ways only a small handful of people do. Here's my Ascent in seven national and state parks across the country.

SO: short version is, enjoy your trip - the Ascent can easily handle an 8,400 mile on road trip. Oh, and enjoy some stops at the National Parks and Forests if you get a chance!! Gorgeous places!

Since that is less than 3,000 miles what is your concern?

We did a 8,400 mile trip last winter with a full load and 2 dogs that we started right after the break in period. We had zero problems with the Accent, still haven't had any at 16,000 miles.

Never had a rattle, squeek or leak.

We've done this trip many times but this time my wife did almost half of the driving, she usually does about 1/4. She loves driving the Subaru.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im at 13,500 miles. I hope the CVT recall doesnt affect my vehicle so that's one less problem bugging me at the back of my head.

It's nice knowing it can handle over 8K miles. How many days was this beautiful trip? LOVE THE PHOTOS!

Since Im new, I dont know what right questions to ask. Whats in my head now, Will there still be snow in some states that time of the year? Or can I already travel in my daisy dukes? Initial research says I could take 3 routes. And all of them take a week, with proper rest throughout.

·
Administrator
7,757 Posts
Im at 13,500 miles. I hope the CVT recall doesnt affect my vehicle so that's one less problem bugging me at the back of my head.

It's nice knowing it can handle over 8K miles. How many days was this beautiful trip? LOVE THE PHOTOS!

Since Im new, I dont know what right questions to ask. Whats in my head now, Will there still be snow in some states that time of the year? Or can I already travel in my daisy dukes? Initial research says I could take 3 routes. And all of them take a week, with proper rest throughout.
Total trip was 18 days from start to finish. The initial leg was a brutal 1,800 mile trip with nothing but gas and food stops (we were on a crazy deadline for an event, and had three drivers to alternate).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts