Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short... I went out to my garage and heard an odd noise from the back underside of my Ascent tonight. Video below.

Came inside and did a quick search... and found this reddit thread...

https://www.reddit.com/r/subaru/comments/3056e2/you_may_hear_a_noise_from_under_the_vehicle/

Turns out this is something called the "fuel evaporation leakage checking system". It was just odd hearing this sound 5 1/2 hours after I last turned the car off!

Hope this helps keep someone else from freaking out the same way I did tonight. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
This is normal for all Subarus, and maybe some other brands as well, but can be somewhat disconcerting the first time you hear it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is always fun to see those who can't even make it to page 9 of the owner's manual. Take so much for granted....
Also fun... comments from the holier-than-thou contingent who have never missed a small detail.

Reactions: vav925

·
Registered
495 Posts
Also fun... comments from the holier-than-thou contingent who have never missed a small detail.
It's all fun. I mean, without the 80% of posts being of the RTFM type, we would be left with the 10% being of first time posters with complaints, 5% duplicate posts, and the remaining 5% being useful information. Oh the humanity!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Snide comments notwithstanding, I was just about to post the same noise / question, but I understand that the Internet knows all. ? thank you, @sloheim!
Actually, the salesman that did the delivery of the vehicle should have mentioned this. When we first started doing this several years ago, our service department kept getting phone calls about it. Finally we just incorporated that into the delivery process - hey, your car will make a funny noise a few hours after you're done, don't worry about it. I blame a poor delivery process for people continuing to have this question.

·
Registered
50 Posts
^I had the same experience. Delivery person didn't mention this. A quick google search revealed it's the EVAP system pressurizing itself to check for leaks. Nothing to worry about.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found this thread with a search after my 2nd encounter with that unexpected noise during an evening trip to the garage. +1 for the sticky, coming from someone who actually RTFM (apparently not closely enough).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts