Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we took our ascent for the first time on a mountain...where it was subjected to quite a high climb and descent back down.
This morning I noticed my coolant level was a bit lower than the high position (it was at the top level before). Is this normal to lose a bit?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
The coolant overflow/storage tank is not sealed and it is normal to lose some coolant over time due to evaporation. I would not expect to experience a loss of coolant due to one specific event (like a mountain drive).

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
I was swapping out my headlight bulbs and noticed my coolant level dropped all the way to the low level this past summer. I had to buy premixed Subaru coolant to top it back up. At the time the Ascent was serviced about 6mo ago, dealer didn't mention anything unusual.

I monitored the levels for the next few weeks, no further drops. At my next service appointment I had the dealer check it out and they didn't notice any leaks anywhere.

Since I now have a huge hug of coolant, I checked the wife's 2013 Subaru XV, and hers also needed a bit, but it was nowhere near as much as my Ascent did.

Prior to my Ascent, my 2008 Impreza never needed to be topped up (possible that the dealer did it for me during service).

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
Our Ascent is also at the low/fill mark now...after about 10 months and 8k miles of driving. This loosely correlates with my experience with vehicles with an unsealed surge tank like our Subarus have. Our Hondas are similar in that regard.

I've had a few GM vehicles where the surge tank was actually pressurized and that's where the "radiator cap" was...not on the radiator itself. You'd check the system when it was cool (safe to remove the cap) and you'd never have to add coolant unless there was a leak somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Temperature can have some effect on the level...just like with tires, but, of course, not so dramatic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts