Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people seeing as the 'resting RPM' at 70-72 MPH? My 2021 Ascent seems to rest at 1,900-2,000 RPM around these speeds and comes with a harsh vibration in the pedal and vibration and louder than normal hum from the front of the vehicle - I suspect the CVT and/or engine.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
That's about "normal" RPM, but, it can vary widely, depending on road slope. The CVT does have a hum to it, and our TR690 is considerably louder than the TR580's in most (almost all) of the Subies out there. That's the effect of a bigger, beefier, high torque CVT with a bigger chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's about "normal" RPM, but, it can vary widely, depending on road slope. The CVT does have a hum to it, and our TR690 is considerably louder than the TR580's in most (almost all) of the Subies out there. That's the effect of a bigger, beefier, high torque CVT with a bigger chain.
Thanks Robert, do you also experience a vibration in the gas pedal when the CVT is approaching and switching gears? I had a turbo Ford Edge and own a Forester and have never experienced this type of vibration.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I get no vibration at any speed or load and no hum, per se. The engine does sound like a four cylinder...a little gruff...but nothing I'm aware of cruizing at constant speed.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The gas pedal isn't attached to anything. It's accelerator-by-wire. But, some people report feeling the drivetrain vibration through the floor (and thus, via the gas pedal that's mounted to the firewall/floor).

I never bothered to take notice, but, I suspect that one can feel the car and road via the floor (eg: the dear pedal) and thus the pedal, so, that's probably what you're feeling. The CVT is directly below your right foot. It stretches from in front of the front axles to about the edge of the center console armrest (the engine is in front of the front axles).

If you do a search on gas pedal vibration, you will find others talking about it. Pretty sure mine does it too, but I actually drive with/by the feel of the car I am driving, if that makes sense. It's very muted, if it's happening in my car.

Oh, and the CVT hum is louder or quieter depending on temperature and load (which includes cargo, towing or road incline).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,837 Posts
I get no vibration at any speed or load and no hum, per se.
Same here....23K with zero vibration or any unusual noise,

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,837 Posts
what do I have to do to score a MPG like that !?
I get similar on the highway as shown in that photo. I don't exceed 70 mph unless required for a necessary passing and use adaptive cruise in the least sensitive mode. (That's the max speed limit here in the east anyway) 65 will do even better on fuel economy because that reduces the effect of wind drag on mileage.

OP, that RPM is about what I would expect and experience at that speed on a level highway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Since it is a CVT, RPM will vary even at a set speed. Cruising on the highway, flat road, no wind will get you in the 2K rpm range at 70MPH. That can quickly shoot up to 2500RPM if there is a small incline in the road or even a strong headwind. The ECU automatically adjust the CVT ratio to keep the engine in the sweet spot to keep you moving along at the speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts