Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it in Search, but what are normal and max oil temperatures? It was 95 degrees and driving 75 mph yesterday. Temp went to 214 degrees. Are towing temps expected to be higher - that’s why I need max safe oil temp.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
This thread may be some help

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Best to also monitor the CVT oil temp when towing. I believe you need an OBD reader/app for that.
On other vehicles, I've seen engine oil temps regularly hit 245F. I think between 200 and 260 is good.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,180 Posts
@Merope any app recommendation? I use torque lite with my $10 OBD reader and wondering if I can use Android auto to put the torque screen with turbo, various temps gauges etc onto the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,260 Posts
There is a thread on here where someone linked to a few apps required to use Android Auto to show gauges on the head unit. I tried it, and it does work, though I found it a bit clunky, and the Pandora audio kept cutting in and out when feeding it through. I don't know if it was related to the gauges or not, but I did uninstall the apps and just have some gauges on the phone screen for when I'm interested in seeing some of them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yeah. You can get a OBD scanner that links to phone apps via BT. One that works with the Ascent:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZTZLQ/

Then, of course you have to be looking at and messing with your phone to see the parameters. There is info in a thread in this forum as to how to get it to show up on the Ascent's head unit via AA, but it is more involved and then it's on the display instead of something else.

One solution to consider if you're doing a lot of towing is a dedicated plug in display unit and simply always have it showing the critical parameters. It's always there working and you just need to glance at it to check temps, etc. Something like this:

You can set up and scroll though just about every parameter on this but obviously this is nothing like the UI in a phone app.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts