Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saying hello from the Great White North, Hamilton, ON. Parted ways with my 2015 Honda Pilot Touring (300k kms) and picked up my first ever Subaru Ascent 2021 Premier (loaded). It was the demo and had 11k km. First impressions....damn thing rides like a car. I'm 6'1" and the rearview, while I can turn the camera on to see behind me, doesn't tilt high enough for me in my seat position. The auto shifting from 1st to 2nd almost slows me down unless I apply more gass or drop it into sport and use the paddles. Outside of that, I'm Suber happy with the truck. Likely won't be my last....

Thanks to the admin for the forum as well! Lots to review and research!

Jay

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,179 Posts
Welcome.

while I can turn the camera on to see behind me, doesn't tilt high enough for me in my seat position. The auto shifting from 1st to 2nd almost slows me down unless I apply more gass or drop it into sport and use the paddles.
As to these points, the beauty of the rear view mirror camera is that it always shows the same view no matter how you adjust the mirror. If you're far sighted or wear multi-focal glasses it's going to take a little getting used to.

You are experiencing the bog/shudder/hesitation many of us "light-foots" experience. It's all part of the CVT-fake-shifting conspiracy. And you've identified the only known remedies since Subaru hasn't done anything to alleviate the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

As to these points, the beauty of the rear view mirror camera is that it always shows the same view no matter how you adjust the mirror. If you're far sighted or wear multi-focal glasses it's going to take a little getting used to.

You are experiencing the bog/shudder/hesitation many of us "light-foots" experience. It's all part of the CVT-fake-shifting conspiracy. And you've identified the only known remedies since Subaru hasn't done anything to alleviate the issue.
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if Subie is looking at correcting the conspiracy issue? Yes, I am a light foot as I came from a V6 Pilot....so maybe I just need to retrain my foot pressure :)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
810 Posts
With some practice you'll learn to accelerate through the upshift lag then back off the accelerator a bit. Or drive like my wife, who has never noticed it, and just gun it!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,176 Posts
Any ideas from the group as to why I need to power off my truck in order to lift the rear tailgate? Seems ridiculous to me... Thoughts?
Please be more specific. If it's not opening using the button on the dash by pressing and holding it (three beeps) press the door unlock on the driver's door and then press and hold the hatch open button. A single, quick push will not open it under any circumstances for safety.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please be more specific. If it's not opening using the button on the dash by pressing and holding it (three beeps) press the door unlock on the driver's door and then press and hold the hatch open button. A single, quick push will not open it under any circumstances for safety.
Ahhhh....perfect! I knew it was something I was not doing....it was being held (three beeps) and still not opening....only when I turned the truck off and pressed the button....I will try the door unlock and see if that works....thanks as always for the quick response. Love this community!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,176 Posts
You can adjust the settings in the head unit to auto unlock the doors (the hatch is a door) when you shift to park. Also the shifter must be in park for the hatch to release.
True, but sometimes things get stuck relative to opening the hatch if a non-driver door is opened first. (There's a relatively unknown TSB for that, but...) So the solution remains "unlock the driver's door manually" if the hatch refuses to open. This isn't limited to Ascent, either...it's endemic across multiple current generation Subaru models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts