Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a really fun drive this morning, that was hearing nothing but the seatbelt warning dinging the most of my drive. The seatbelt was buckled properly and there was no light or alert on the dash. Just the dinging alert. I stopped and restarted the car a few times, still didn't stop. It finally stopped with 5 minutes left in my drive.

Anyone else experience this? I am waiting for the dealership to call me back.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Did you have an item on the passenger seat? In some vehicles, it doesn't take much weight for the indicator to trigger the seatbelt alarm.
That would be my thought as well. The sensors on the passenger side can pick stuff up you don't think about. One of our models, you could put a six pack of Coke cans in the passenger seat and it'd ding at you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's not a fix, but you can stop, put the car in accessory mode and really fast put the drivers belt in to latch, release, in, release, etc., 20 times super fast. This seems to disable the seatbelt alarm.

(I always wear my seatbelt and so does every passenger I transport)

·
Registered
96 Posts
And whatever you do- DON'T TAKE THE CAR BACK TO YOUR DEALER to get if fixed.
I'd much rather listen to the complaints! :devil:

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not a fix, but you can stop, put the car in accessory mode and really fast put the drivers belt in to latch, release, in, release, etc., 20 times super fast. This seems to disable the seatbelt alarm.

(I always wear my seatbelt and so does every passenger I transport)

I did this and it works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So new for the 2021 Ascent, I was told when we took delivery, that Subaru added the chime to ALL seats, including the rows of rear seats. While I get the safety intent for passengers, my reality is we use the the 2nd row bench (8 seater) almost exclusively for our two sweet 50 pound pit-bull pups. So ding ding ding all day. Just "leave the seatbelts fastened" they said; however on longer trips our dogs will invariably step all over the latches thus unwittingly unclipping them and invoking that annoying chime as your chilling at cruising speed and nothing you can really do until yo pull over and re clip it in... Also when the seatbelts are fastened under the dog hammock/seat protector thing, the seatbelt receiver sticks up pretty high (3-4") out of the seat making it a bit difficult for dogs to get comfortable when they are clipped to the seat. So I've just tried the "clip in/out 20 times in 30 seconds trick" on each seat to see if that works. Need more road testing to see but if anyone else has a solution happy to hear it!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent former fleet car w/ 5000 miles
4 Posts
That would be my thought as well. The sensors on the passenger side can pick stuff up you don't think about. One of our models, you could put a six pack of Coke cans in the passenger seat and it'd ding at you.
I apparently love to mistake one ding for another. For instants, one day I had a door ajar and thought it was the seatbelt dinger. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
So new for the 2021 Ascent, I was told when we took delivery, that Subaru added the chime to ALL seats, including the rows of rear seats. While I get the safety intent for passengers, my reality is we use the the 2nd row bench (8 seater) almost exclusively for our two sweet 50 pound pit-bull pups. So ding ding ding all day.
What a pain! How would this work with car seats? The whole "leave the seatbelt plugged in" seems like a non starter.

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Have you tried disabling the seat belt dings? Google it for some YouTube videos on how to do it or reading this thread may help.
Always remember to still wear it though!

·
Registered
111 Posts
So new for the 2021 Ascent, I was told when we took delivery, that Subaru added the chime to ALL seats, including the rows of rear seats. While I get the safety intent for passengers, my reality is we use the the 2nd row bench (8 seater) almost exclusively for our two sweet 50 pound pit-bull pups. So ding ding ding all day. Just "leave the seatbelts fastened" they said; however on longer trips our dogs will invariably step all over the latches thus unwittingly unclipping them and invoking that annoying chime as your chilling at cruising speed and nothing you can really do until yo pull over and re clip it in... Also when the seatbelts are fastened under the dog hammock/seat protector thing, the seatbelt receiver sticks up pretty high (3-4") out of the seat making it a bit difficult for dogs to get comfortable when they are clipped to the seat. So I've just tried the "clip in/out 20 times in 30 seconds trick" on each seat to see if that works. Need more road testing to see but if anyone else has a solution happy to hear it!
A seat belt extender works perfect to fool the car into thinking the belt is connected. that is what we use for our dog in every car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts