Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy the Ascent Touring, and during the test drive, the salesman pointed out the acoustic glass that helped lessen noise, but also mentioned how quiet it was in the cabin "as the audio system contains a "noise canceller" system that works like noise-cancelling headphones...". Been Googling around trying to find anything on that but Subaru does seem to have some kind of a patent for that, https://patents.justia.com/patent/10360896 , and can't--so, is it actually a thing, or, blowing smoke? Won't affect how much I like the car...

Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Perhaps this is why the radio can not truly be turned off; needs to stay on in order to process the cancelling noise. I imagine Subaru doesn't advertise this feature because it can cause discomfort for some people if it's not perfectly synchronized to the road noise.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
I've never been led to understand that the Ascent Touring has that feature. Any vehicle I have experience with that does have noise cancelling in the cabin heavily promotes that feature. (And generally it can be disabled for the few folks who are discomforted by it or for folks who want to route to aftermarket amp/speakers)

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah if it was truly a feature, it would be advertised in the options..... and it's not.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I am not aware of any such system in the Ascent, and there's no reference in any of the documentation, either. If I find out otherwise, I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
I think there is such a system, while cruising at speed... just try opening one of your car windows part way (try varying the amount that it's open)... It creates an artificial feedback/buffeting noise (definitely not wind noise) throughout the cabin that drives me nuts when one of my passengers want more air. You will notice this effect in a lot of other car manufacturers having it.

I personally like my air through the ventilation system, and don't roll down my windows unless necessary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For anyone interested, there's a US patent request for the "road noise cancellation" system from Subaru

Interestingly it's looks like it is tied into the EyeSight cameras and not just using microphones and acceleration/RPM data alone.

Read the PDF found in this website for all the techie details:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The patent is dated 2018, Subaru would not have rolled out the noise canceling technology on the 2019 Ascents. I would think that if they added it to the 2020 Ascent we would have heard something from Subaru.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My 2017 Honda Ridgeline has that feature.

"The Active Noise Cancellation™ system detects any “booming” noises inside the cabin that's a result of VCM cylinder deactivation or exhaust noise with a controller that uses a front and rear microphone. Once a noise is detected, the system emits an anti-noise signal through the audio system speakers."

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I think there is such a system, while cruising at speed... just try opening one of your car windows part way (try varying the amount that it's open)... It creates an artificial feedback/buffeting noise (definitely not wind noise) throughout the cabin that drives me nuts when one of my passengers want more air. You will notice this effect in a lot of other car manufacturers having it.

I personally like my air through the ventilation system, and don't roll down my windows unless necessary.
No. That's normal for all aerodynamic cars, and has to do with the vehicle shape.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wonder if it can be found in the Harman Kardon head units?
Yes, HK has their own method of road noise cancellation. Just Google it, but they don't day for which cars feature this technology.

I definitely hear something when one window is partially open and I cruising at speed (also with some tunes playing).

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yes, HK has their own method of road noise cancellation. Just Google it, but they don't day for which cars feature this technology.

I definitely hear something when one window is partially open and I cruising at speed (also with some tunes playing).
There's no such system in our cars and not enough microphones in our cars for such a system. You can check out the electrical manual yourself on STIS if you want to confirm that.

I explained what you are hearing above.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am not aware of any such system in the Ascent, and there's no reference in any of the documentation, either. If I find out otherwise, I will let everyone know.
We have it , it’s mounted on rear trunk door.. instructions for 2019 and 2020 show how to remove and install it, but no any information on how it’s connected to the radio or amp..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah. You can get a resonance in cars depending on how many, which, and how much various windows are open, and what speed you're traveling. This existed long before sound cancellation technology, and transistors, for that matter. It's the same principle of how a flute works or blowing across the top of a bottle, but at much lower frequency due to the much greater volume.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
FWIW, Here's an article comparing the Pilot to the Ascent. The Pilot Elite does have ANC, but not the Ascent Touring according to this.

"The Honda Pilot may be more efficient, handle and accelerate better because it weighs about 300 to 400 pounds less than the Subaru Ascent.

The Pilot uses computer-generated active noise cancellation to help remove annoying noise and vibration from the passenger compartment, especially at low frequencies. The Ascent doesn’t offer active noise cancellation.

As tested by Car and Driver while at idle, the interior of the Pilot Elite 4WD is quieter than the Ascent Touring (37 vs. 40 dB)."

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
We have it , it’s mounted on rear trunk door.. instructions for 2019 and 2020 show how to remove and install it, but no any information on how it’s connected to the radio or amp..
Can you send me the diagram? I didn't notice it at all when I had the back panel fully disassembled. I wasn't exactly looking for it, so maybe I missed it. Just curious if it actually made it in, because when I reset the radio, there doesn't seem to be any difference in sound.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
does this sound go away when you slightly open another window?

...because what you are describing is turbulent airflow buffeting.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
not sure if it is connected to the radio at all ..
i see it listed on 2020 outback too
it is under ENTERTAINMENT & MONITORING > Noise Suppressor (on both)

View attachment 2208
This might be for suppressing RF noise for the radio antenna. Poking around it seems that even 10+ year old subarus had these installed, so perhaps nothing to do with active noise cancellation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.