Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks into a premium with moon roof. love the new car and have had no complaints until today. at about 70 mph i got a loud low humming sound. hard to explain, but loud enough to be heard over radio. sounded like a tuning fork, low frequency. seems to be on rough part of freeway. dosent happen every time car gets to 70, plenty of times at 70+ so far. maybe wind hitting something a certain way. will keep monitoring.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Two thoughts

2 weeks into a premium with moon roof. love the new car and have had no complaints until today. at about 70 mph i got a loud low humming sound. hard to explain, but loud enough to be heard over radio. sounded like a tuning fork, low frequency. seems to be on rough part of freeway. dosent happen every time car gets to 70, plenty of times at 70+ so far. maybe wind hitting something a certain way. will keep monitoring.
Two thoughts:
  1. Do you have the roof rails installed? If so, check to see that they are installed properly. The THICK edge goes towards the front.
  2. Is it a throbbing sound like described on this page? If so, that's something that happens with newer cars and opened windows - window deflectors may help, as well as opening another window a crack. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/explained-that-weird-throbbing-when-you-open-one-car-window

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I get something that may be what the OP posted. Around 70-80mph, I sometimes hear a faint steady tone that is similar to blowing air over a beer bottle with your mouth, except it's a steady sustained tone that goes away at other speeds. It is also much quieter than the beer bottle thing. I don't notice it every time though, so it could be specific road surfaces that do this. I was thinking it could be the tires, but if OP has the 18 inch wheels, maybe not? What tires come with the 18s? Or does the OP have the optional 20s on his Premium?

Edit: The 18's come with the same Falken tires as the 20s, so maybe there's something about the tread pattern that does this?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I get something that may be what the OP posted. Around 70-80mph, I sometimes hear a faint steady tone that is similar to blowing air over a beer bottle with your mouth, except it's a steady sustained tone that goes away at other speeds. It is also much quieter than the beer bottle thing. I don't notice it every time though, so it could be specific road surfaces that do this. I was thinking it could be the tires, but if OP has the 18 inch wheels, maybe not? What tires come with the 18s? Or does the OP have the optional 20s on his Premium?

Edit: The 18's come with the same Falken tires as the 20s, so maybe there's something about the tread pattern that does this?
I hadn't remembered this until you mentioned this, but, someone else had noise at that speed and it turned out to be a poorly balanced wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, the other thing i would compare it to would be blowing over a glass bottle. its not from roof, definitely sounds like the tires or maybe something with suspension. I got the same sound yesterday. Happens on parts of the freeway where there are the grooves that run along it. I do have the 20" oem package. It didnt get that loud yesterday, but the first time was quite loud.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
If you got the mud flaps, check and ensure one isn't loose or has play. Also check out the underside cladding just in case you popped a clip and a piece is vibrating at high speed.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll need to check my roof rails. I like the wind over beer bottle reference but as stated it is more subtle than that. It only happens at the 65/70+ speed and it certainly sounds to be coming from the area of the roof. It is noticeable when my radio is off but not when I am rocking out (if old people can still rock out that is...).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you got the mud flaps, check and ensure one isn't loose or has play. Also check out the underside cladding just in case you popped a clip and a piece is vibrating at high speed.

Keep us posted.
I had observed this noise both pre and post splash guard installation.

...and yup, as I mentioned earlier it's got a similar tone to the beer bottle thing, except not nearly that loud. Sounds in a cabin with lots of glass surfaces to reflect off of make it difficult to locate the source. My hunch is that it's a tire-related resonance. I can't wait to get rid of the OEM tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've noticed it too, I have a Touring model. I hear it around 80 mph. I liked the tuning fork description, that was the first thing that popped in my mind. I thought it was maybe the suspension or something. It is pretty loud if the music isn't on. It's really the only negative thing I can say about the car so far.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
We all never speed...

It's a good thing that none of us drive 80 MPH because that is over the speed limit...right....right?!??

Okay maybe just that once...but really...just one time!
I never do. The speed limit in Metro NY is 55, which I never exceed. Upstate, it's 65, which I also never exceed...

...but if I did, I'd probably know from thousands of miles over those speeds that these sounds aren't normal. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've noticed the past month that when i got 95km/h approx 50 mph that i get a whistle type maybe the tuning fork sound from the a pillar windshield... I'm going to mention it with my first oil change but i don't expect they'll figure it out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts