Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had two recalls done on my 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited with towing package with 31,000 miles. Really like the change in the transmission shifting and overall behavior. The engine idle is much better and overall I’m very satisfied with the recalls, but now under brisk acceleration from a stop I have a noise/squeal coming from the car. It sounds almost like hydraulics that are bypassing or maybe a relief valve activating. The noise will carry thru the 1/2 shift before it disappears. Drives normally under light acceleration. Senior Service Tech says he believes it is coming from the turbo blow off system, but it’s not like anything I have ever heard on a turbo setup. Definitely not belts, alternator, etc, the car was whisper quiet before the shop visit. I think it’s coming from the transmission. Going back today for the Service manager to drive it. They have opened a case with Subaru NA, but I am pretty annoyed right now. Has anyone heard of this issue yet? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just had my 24000 mile service and all 3 recalls fixed on Thursday. Yesterday (Monday) I punch it from a stop sign and a super-loud whooshing sounds came from under the hood followed by every light on the dashboard lighting up. After that every time I let up on the accelerator the card would slow down hard as if engine braking or downshifting with the paddles. I turned into the nearest parking lot and shit it all down. When I turned the car back on the lights were still lit and the MySubaru app on my phone reported all the errors. I replicated the issue at 4000 RPM. I immediately took it back o the dealer. Unfortunately, when I turned it off in the service lane to check in the error lights went away. They had it until today when they told me to pick it up. All they did was clear the error codes.
I didn't even pull my stuff out of the loaner because I knew they hadn't fixed anything.
I hopped in my car and replicated the issue by accelerating hard out of the dealer lot. I brought it back to the service lane and kept it running so they could see the errors and got back in the loaner to go home. I had zero issues before I brought it in for the recalls.

·
Registered
266 Posts
In both cases: did your dealer do a proper test drive as per the recall procedure? The procedure includes a test drive for THEM to listen for noises. Since you are reporting the noise almost immediately after taking the car back, I'd say the dealer didn't listen hard enough or pushed it much during the test. Your transmission might've been already with impending failure and the recall made it evident. Seems to me these cases should've been caught during the recall procedure as they needed a new transmission and harness.
I don't think the update caused the damage, just revealed it. Too bad your dealership wasn't up to the task in detecting it properly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got both of the recalls done today drove no issues no noises on my end went from 65 mph 55 mph and 25 mph here in New York traffic nothing unusual

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got both of the recalls done today drove no issues no noises on my end went from 65 mph 55 mph and 25 mph here in New York traffic nothing unusual
My issue with the turbo/transmission only appeared when I floored it from a stop. As the RPM's passed 4000 the whooshing noise occurred and the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My issue with the turbo/transmission only appeared when I floored it from a stop. As the RPM's passed 4000 the whooshing noise occurred and the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree.
And... that wouldn't have passed a properly done stall test, as indicated in the recall procedure. The stall test does exactly that: floor the engine while brakes are fully engaged, for maximum torque on the transmission and torque converter.
Go back to the dealership and tell them to repeat the stall test as per the recall procedure. You'll be getting a brand new transmission.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got my car back. They told me they reperformed the recall procedures and tests and found the intercooler gaskets/o-rings for the turbo to be at fault. They replaced the o-rings and returned the car to me, seemingly back to normal.

So, is it a coincidence that the o-rings failed right after the recall work was performed?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Got my car back. They told me they reperformed the recall procedures and tests and found the intercooler gaskets/o-rings for the turbo to be at fault. They replaced the o-rings and returned the car to me, seemingly back to normal.

So, is it a coincidence that the o-rings failed right after the recall work was performed?
Ok, so your issue was indeed the turbo, you got lucky. It has to be a coincidence, the components are completely unrelated (unless it was sabotage, but unless you are James Bond, I'd say coincidence).
What about the OP? That one seemed like a transmission issue but we haven't heard of the resolution.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
And... that wouldn't have passed a properly done stall test, as indicated in the recall procedure. The stall test does exactly that: floor the engine while brakes are fully engaged, for maximum torque on the transmission and torque converter.
Go back to the dealership and tell them to repeat the stall test as per the recall procedure. You'll be getting a brand new transmission.
good to know.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

Possibly not. They may not have replaced them during the PCV valve Recall. They possibly reused the originals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Possibly not. They may not have replaced them during the PCV valve Recall. They possibly reused the originals.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize any components for the turbo were part of the inspection/testing procedures for the PCV valve recall. It's not called out in the remedy section of the SOA part recall notice.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize any components for the turbo were part of the inspection/testing procedures for the PCV valve recall. It's not called out in the remedy section of the SOA part recall notice.
May have been removed to access the PCV valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had two recalls done on my 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited with towing package with 31,000 miles. Really like the change in the transmission shifting and overall behavior. The engine idle is much better and overall I’m very satisfied with the recalls, but now under brisk acceleration from a stop I have a noise/squeal coming from the car. It sounds almost like hydraulics that are bypassing or maybe a relief valve activating. The noise will carry thru the 1/2 shift before it disappears. Drives normally under light acceleration. Senior Service Tech says he believes it is coming from the turbo blow off system, but it’s not like anything I have ever heard on a turbo setup. Definitely not belts, alternator, etc, the car was whisper quiet before the shop visit. I think it’s coming from the transmission. Going back today for the Service manager to drive it. They have opened a case with Subaru NA, but I am pretty annoyed right now. Has anyone heard of this issue yet? Thanks!
My appointment is tomorrow...hope for the best ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just brought my 2019 Ascent Limited in yesterday for the 2 recalls. Ends up that I need an entire new transmission! Have a loaner for as long as it takes until I get my car back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If they determined I didn’t need one is that a good thing or a mistake ? Is there any way of knowing

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
If they determined I didn’t need one is that a good thing or a mistake ? Is there any way of knowing
They determined I didn't need one. It wasn't a mistake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did my two recalls yesterday. Dealer seemed to know what to do (i.e.- I asked if a "static test" was part of the process). Took about an hour and a half overall. Looking forward to see if I can detect any differences in performance. Didn't really have any issues other than I didn't like the "hunting" for a gear in the lower register. My February 2019 build has about 10,500 miles, mostly suburban and interstate miles. I also am not a fan of a high pitched whine when first warming up, but it is very minor and subsides after it is warmed up. Overall, I have no regrets about trading my 2014 Merc ML-350 for the 2019 Ascent Ltd. I very much appreciate the $100 services versus the $400 Merc services. And regular gas versus premium. And, and.......:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts