Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ascent was hit in a parking lot, rear ended by another car backing out. They weren’t detected on any sensor because they weren’t moving when I started to back out. I was essentially stopped (ready to head forward) when it happened.

No sensors went off when they were about to hit me and starlink has the car as being in perfect shape. How is it possible that with all this tech, the car has no idea it was hit?

Damage is hopefully minor (tbd) but looking for answers as to why the car didn’t warn me or detect anything as being wrong after the fact?

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
Low speed impacts that don't trigger the airbags aren't reported to Starlink.

Additionally, as you said, you weren't moving, so, since the Subaru cannot take evasive action, the sensors are irrelevant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I’m hoping this type of explanation will show the fault is on the other driver.

Do you know if there is a way for me to test a sensor? Their bumper hit where one of my sensors is located, back passenger side above the tail pipe. Does subaru need to test it?

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
I'd have Subaru test them, and calibrate if necessary. There's two radar sensors and four sonar sensors.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,035 Posts
I'd be surprised there is any jurisdiction or insurance company that would not support that the driver hitting from behind is at-fault. They are supposed to maintain adequate distance to avoid that regardless of the situation. If you were sitting there in the lane stopped and they backed into you...I don't see how you could be held at fault, personally.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sounds like the poster is concerned that the other driver may start a he-said / she-said insurance argument. Without additional witnesses, it's easy for the at-fault driver to claim that they were the one that got hit.

Makes me want to get a front-rear looping dashcam. @AmyC, got any other witnesses?

F.S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts