Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go up steep driveway and stop it will go no farther up hill when I step on gas. It sounds and feels like it's in high gear. Like I put a stick transmission in 4th gear and tried to take off. Vary troubling I just have to back down. I also tried to put shifter in manual control mode to no avail. Even tried Xmode.
What's up with this? Help.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Can you replicate the issue consistently?
How steep are we talking about? A driveway shouldn't be more than what 5 degrees ish?
Can you get up if you don't stop halfway through?

If you can replicate it you should be able to take it to your dealer and get it fixed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I take my Ascent to my cabin up a 1.5 mile approach road that varies between 9-12% grade (according the dash display), no power problem. Road is gravel surface in desperate need of replenishment so plenty of ruts and muddy spots to bog down the car.

How long and steep is your driveway?

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I go up steep driveway and stop it will go no farther up hill when I step on gas. It sounds and feels like it's in high gear. Like I put a stick transmission in 4th gear and tried to take off. Vary troubling I just have to back down. I also tried to put shifter in manual control mode to no avail. Even tried Xmode.
I wonder if this has anything to do with Eyesight. I know that if you are stopped and it feels there is an obstruction in front of you, it will rob any power from the gas pedal. I wonder if you can turn off the "pre-collision throttle management"?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I wonder if this has anything to do with Eyesight. I know that if you are stopped and it feels there is an obstruction in front of you, it will rob any power from the gas pedal. I wonder if you can turn off the "pre-collision throttle management"?
^^^^This^^^^^

I've accelerated UP an 8% grade while towing a 3,500lb camper at 55mph. There's not a power problem. But some people with steep inclines or bumps have triggered the eyesight such that it won't proceed. Turn the nannies off and see if it's still an issue!

Reactions: Subiesailor

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah turn all the electric safety systems off and then if you’re still not moving it may be another problem CVT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hill Problems

I experienced a similar problem just last week. We were in Galena, Illinois which has some nice hills to cruise around. We went to the top of a lookout point, road was full of ruts, gravel, dirt, slapped it in xmode and zoomed right up the road. After that we went to the local ski resort and while heading up the leisurely winding road the Ascent was STRUGGLING. Similar to what John May described, RPMs went way up for a few hundred feet and then it calmed back down and we made it the rest of the way.

If this is due to EyeSight, that is freaking weird. Regardless, it did not sound healthy to the transmission.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I'm sorry, but the only reasons an Ascent should ever struggle uphill is never.

I do a 10-12° incline every day for work, 5-6 days a week. It's only about 37 feet long and I can hit 20mph in that distance.

Today, I videotaped it, with hundreds of pounds of gear in the back.

So...
(1) Eyesight sees something and is cutting power.
or
(2) VDC is activating and cutting power.
or
(3) foot is on the brake or not on the gas.
or
(4) Something is seriously wrong.

Both #1 and #2 will result in lights flickering on dash or windshield.

·
Registered
597 Posts
No issues here going up steep grades even when fully loaded for skiing. In fact I also had no issues on the highway maintaining 75-80MPH where they have truck run off ramps and that time I was loaded with camping gear for the scouts including gallons of fresh water.

Only time I have had an issue is when the Eyesight thinks I'm going to hit something.

·
Registered
668 Posts
So...
(1) Eyesight sees something and is cutting power.

Both #1 and #2 will result in lights flickering on dash or windshield.

A subset of this is if the vehicle's ACC is active.

I've had it - rather reliably - severely cut power at the base/valley of an undulating roadway. You can power through it by manually applying more throttle.

It does feel/seem as if the vehicle just wanted to give up. :smile_big:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts