Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Some states do not require front plates. There are dimples to use a guides but I liked that they didn't automatically drill holes for those of us in rear plate only states.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
5 Posts
$20 ebay solution

Front License Plate Bumper Mounting Bracket for SUBARU
Ebay Item# 271540451558

Mounts with 2 screws in dimples. Rubber spacers. Solid. Looks good.

Easy solution

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Front License Plate Bumper Mounting Bracket for SUBARU
Ebay Item# 271540451558

Mounts with 2 screws in dimples. Rubber spacers. Solid. Looks good.

Easy solution
Yep, or from any dealership for about the same price. I suggest little rubber feet on the bottom part of it so it doesn't bang against the bumper, since it's only secured from the top.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I just realized that my ascent doesn't have mounting for front license plate. Did Subaru forget this?
Front plate holders are an accessory. In a state where the front plate is required, typically the dealership puts it on and then charges you for it. But some of them don't. As others have mentioned, front plates are not required in all states, so we don't bother.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So bumping an old thread. Not in need of a front license plate mount, but what is the screw size for the license plate for the rear? Is there a suggested place to get them online, or just take one that is in it and try to get it matched with a stainless steel one at a hardware store ?

Replacing paper tag with license plate and would like to use 4 screws instead of just the 2 it came with, and prefer stainless.

I've found some info on other Subaru models on some other forums, but wasn't sure if they were common among the models.

All my other vehicles used bolts, but seems Subaru uses screws.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
So bumping an old thread. Not in need of a front license plate mount, but what is the screw size for the license plate for the rear? Is there a suggested place to get them online, or just take one that is in it and try to get it matched with a stainless steel one at a hardware store? Replacing paper tag with license plate and would like to use 4 screws instead of just the 2 it came with, and prefer stainless. I've found some info on other Subaru models on some other forums, but wasn't sure if they were common among the models. All my other vehicles used bolts, but seems Subaru uses screws.

Thank you
The screw holes in the rear are little plastic inserts. I believe they can be changed out if they ever happen to get stripped. I bought a set of black license plate screws to go with black silicone frames and California black plates. The screws I bought had a slightly courser thread and larger shaft than the stock screws IIRC, but they went in just fine and are very secure.

screws:
https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Car-Badges-Fastening-American/dp/B0769MFR7L/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542231013&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Black+License+Plate+Screws+for+Fastening+License+Plates%2C+Frames%2C+and+Covers+on+American+Cars+and+Trucks

frames (black is out of stock):
https://www.amazon.com/Rightcar-Solutions-Flawless-Silicone-License/dp/B07CV4G3XG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542230992&sr=8-1&keywords=Rightcar+Solutions+Flawless+Silicone+License+Plate+Frame+-+Rust-Proof.+Rattle-Proof.+Weather-Proof

·
Registered
118 Posts
The screw holes in the rear are little plastic inserts. I believe they can be changed out if they ever happen to get stripped. I bought a set of black license plate screws to go with black silicone frames and California black plates. The screws I bought had a slightly courser thread and larger shaft than the stock screws IIRC, but they went in just fine and are very secure.

screws:
https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Car-Badges-Fastening-American/dp/B0769MFR7L/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542231013&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Black+License+Plate+Screws+for+Fastening+License+Plates%2C+Frames%2C+and+Covers+on+American+Cars+and+Trucks

https://www.amazon.com/Rightcar-Sol...ame+-+Rust-Proof.+Rattle-Proof.+Weather-Proof

Thank you! And I definitely will be ordering one of the frames. Just waiting for black to come back in stock.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Or you can just get the factory Subaru front license plate frame. There are two small divots in the front bumper that will show you were to start the screws. This plate has two rubber bumpers that offset it from the painted bumper, minimize any possibility of damage. This is the official Subaru part for Ascent front bumper license plate frames.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IW33UPO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had that Subaru one on my Outback. It was fine and did its job over the years. It was pretty floppy if you touched it due to there being only two rubber spacers, but it was too costly to just chuck in the garbage so I just stuck with it.

The one problem with the silicone ones I have is that they mount right up against whatever you screw them to. The thought of dirt building up behind them may make some people cringe. One could add spacers I suppose...

·
Registered
118 Posts

screws:
https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-C...rames,+and+Covers+on+American+Cars+and+Trucks

https://www.amazon.com/Rightcar-Sol...ame+-+Rust-Proof.+Rattle-Proof.+Weather-Proof

Finally got the Rightcar solutions silicone license plate frame in black. Got a notification email about a week or so ago that they would be back in stock, so I ordered one. Got it yesterday and installed on my wife's Ascent. Seems like a nice accessory and should keep the plate from scratching the vehicle. Hopefully it tolerates temperature extremes well and doesn't glue itself to the vehicle.

Still need to pick up some extra screws to use in the 2 holes at the bottom of the plate.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Finally got the Rightcar solutions silicone license plate frame in black. Got a notification email about a week or so ago that they would be back in stock, so I ordered one. Got it yesterday and installed on my wife's Ascent. Seems like a nice accessory and should keep the plate from scratching the vehicle. Hopefully it tolerates temperature extremes well and doesn't glue itself to the vehicle.

Still need to pick up some extra screws to use in the 2 holes at the bottom of the plate.
Not that I've though much about it since installing, but I really like the silicone frames. They blend right in and cover up the sharp edges of the plates. I should get a set for the wife's car...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just curious if anyone know the standard license plate screw size? Just noticed the dealer put on 4 nice rusted ones.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just curious if anyone know the standard license plate screw size? Just noticed the dealer put on 4 nice rusted ones.
Did you ever figure this out?

I'm not super worried about rust in the rear at least because the screws go into plastic inserts, so at least they won't seize. My wife's Acura had the worst zinc plated screws that seized up and was a problem when the state made us replace the plates. We made the dealer fix this under warranty since it involved drilling them out.

That being said, I would like stainless screws just to avoid any corrosion, and ideally 316 stainless which is more or less the gold standard in marine applications and most resistant to salt corrosion.

I think I'll probably just end up taking them to the hardware store and finding a close match. They look like self-piercing sheet metal screws. If I get really motivated, Grainger looks to carry some reasonable stainless alternatives, both in tamper-resistant and hex head, and some 316 options.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts