Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry it's been a while since I've been on this Forum.. been busy with life and a new born, catching up with everything else and the holidays. But, I no longer am driving the Ascent for family outings etc.. because

I GOT THIS! LOL My 2018 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport.

Yes, we still have the Ascent, my wife's daily driver and she still loves it. I still enjoy driving it when I am not driving my BIG TRUCK around especially when we have to go somewhere I know space is tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can relate. Became a homeowner with big toys to tow and kids so had to trade my 1999 Impreza RS2.5 in on a 2005 Nissan Titan. I now have a 2014 F-150 but the wife just traded her 06 Tribeca in for a 2019 Ascent and we love it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah wife is way way against a truck over here. But Ford just revealed the Lincoln version of the 2020 Explorer. Umm 400hp 10spd! Though the responsible types will get the plugin hybrid

With 450hp!! Yes! Its of interest and on my list. I bet I can get a bench 2nd row and ventilated front seats lol.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah wife is way way against a truck over here. But Ford just revealed the Lincoln version of the 2020 Explorer. Umm 400hp 10spd! Though the responsible types will get the plugin hybrid

With 450hp!! Yes! Its of interest and on my list. I bet I can get a bench 2nd row and ventilated front seats lol.
Oh and 600ft lb torque. Jeeze!!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still do enjoy driving the Subaru Ascent very much when I get the chance to. They are two different vehicles in the way they perform and handle drive and feel on the road. But because this is my wife's main car she is driving it more than 90% of the time. And on the weekends we tend to just hop into it this new vehicle. The truck is actually roomier in the back - it's where they sit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice click bait. Looking at the Tundra for my next truck.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I still do enjoy driving the Subaru Ascent very much when I get the chance to. They are two different vehicles in the way they perform and handle drive and feel on the road. But because this is my wife's main car she is driving it more than 90% of the time. And on the weekends we tend to just hop into it this new vehicle. The truck is actually roomier in the back - it's where they sit.
I owned a 2012 Tundra Crewmax and the second row seating is spacious. The Tundra will outlast the Ascent, but will guzzle nearly twice the fuel. Nice looking truck. Will the truck fit in your garage?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I owned a 2012 Tundra Crewmax and the second row seating is spacious. The Tundra will outlive the Ascent, but will guzzle nearly twice the fuel. Nice looking truck. Will the truck fit in your garage?
What do mean outlive? because I would bank on the longevity of the Ascent

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Ascent, but the Tundra V8 will definitely last longer than that turbo in the Ascent - probably twice as long. And the transmission in the Tundra is not a CVT.
Back it with data . There are folks running original turbos in there WRX'S with over 200k. I have heard of 2010 Outbacks with over 200k with the original CVT

·
Banned
145 Posts
I am soo happy that you guys can afford 2 new cars, new baby, and still have enough money to save for the childs future, college ect...

But one thing that I can understand is why they make a truck with a 5.5 foot bed. My most compact cars have more storage space. I can secure 19 2x4's in a compact car with nothing sticking out. But could not do the same with a 5.5 foot truck. I just don't get it. Why have a truck that can not be used as a truck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am soo happy that you guys can afford 2 new cars, new baby, and still have enough money to save for the childs future, college ect...

But one thing that I can understand is why they make a truck with a 5.5 foot bed. My most compact cars have more storage space. I can secure 19 2x4's in a compact car with nothing sticking out. But could not do the same with a 5.5 foot truck. I just don't get it. Why have a truck that can not be used as a truck.
You can use a 5.5 no problem, drop the tail gate!, they make tail gate extenders.. no brainer there. Not all trucks have to have to be 8 foot beds for it to be useful.

Back it with data . There are folks running original turbos in there WRX'S with over 200k. I have heard of 2010 Outbacks with over 200k with the original CVT
This new Ascent engine is a new design, those older WRX and Outbacks have had the same engines for years and they've worked out the problems. First year engines are not guaranteed to run 200k without issues, have you seen any?

Read some here https://www.tundras.com/threads/high-mileage-tundra.20409/
and https://www.tundras.com/threads/highest-mileage-1st-gen-thread.11039/

Tundra has been using the same engine for the past 10 yrs, can't go wrong with that.

What do mean outlive? because I would bank on the longevity of the Ascent
Tundras live pass 200k without a hitch, it's been proven with multiples but I'm sure the Ascent will hold well on it's own. Don't think it will ever make it 1,000,000 miles on the same engine/transmission though. My friend owned a 2.5 RS new and it hit 300,000k, the lower block went out on him.. and it was a manual shift too.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I owned a 2012 Tundra Crewmax and the second row seating is spacious. The Tundra will outlast the Ascent, but will guzzle nearly twice the fuel. Nice looking truck. Will the truck fit in your garage?

True, :D I average 16mpg in my recent 1800 mile trip. But I don't care cause compared to my previous truck, this is only setting me back $60 bucks. No big deal here. The rear seat is super spacious for the family though, enough room for their legs and bunch of bags. You can't do that in an Ascent.

Truck should fit the garage but it's reserved for the wife's Ascent and my tools.. :( o well, the truck lives outside.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You can use a 5.5 no problem, drop the tail gate!, they make tail gate extenders.. no brainer there. Not all trucks have to have to be 8 foot beds for it to be useful.

This new Ascent engine is a new design, those older WRX and Outbacks have had the same engines for years and they've worked out the problems. First year engines are not guaranteed to run 200k without issues, have you seen any?

Read some here https://www.tundras.com/threads/high-mileage-tundra.20409/
and https://www.tundras.com/threads/highest-mileage-1st-gen-thread.11039/

Tundra has been using the same engine for the past 10 yrs, can't go wrong with that.

Tundras live pass 200k without a hitch, it's been proven with multiples but I'm sure the Ascent will hold well on it's own. Don't think it will ever make it 1,000,000 miles on the same engine/transmission though. My friend owned a 2.5 RS new and it hit 300,000k, the lower block went out on him.. and it was a manual shift too.
It's not really a all new engine. It is based heavily on the 2.0 DIT found in the Forester and WRX since 2014

1 - 20 of 20 Posts