Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I did an oil change on my wife's Ascent and took off the drain plug, it didn't have a crush nut. Is this normal? I did put one in.

From my previous experience with my previous vehicles 08 forester and 16 Impreza, both had crush nuts.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Should be there.

Could it have stuck to the oil pan?
Also check the drain plug. Sometimes it's hard to see but the crush washer may need to be pried off of it.
Parts site shows there is supposed to be one. My oil change receipts show there was one installed each of my four oil changes. I second checking to make sure there isn't one smushed onto the oil pan or onto the drain plug.

• If either is the case (the original is stuck to pan or plug), then remove BOTH of them and replace with a new one and re-torque.
  • If neither is the case (there is only the one you installed), remove the one you put in, and replace with a new one and re-torque.

Obviously, having two isn't good. The reason you're replacing the one you installed (if there wasn't another) is because in removing the plug to check, you need to replace the crush ring. You shouldn't re-torque down on a used ring.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The crush washers tend to be fine for several changes as long as the plug isn’t wrenched so tight that damaging the pan is a risk. I average 5 changes before the crush washer seems to develop an oil drip on my Outback. My 2001 Legacy was the same. I’m sure the Ascent can go a few changes with the same washer without issue also.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
The crush washers tend to be fine for several changes as long as the plug isn’t wrenched so tight that damaging the pan is a risk. I average 5 changes before the crush washer seems to develop an oil drip on my Outback. My 2001 Legacy was the same. I’m sure the Ascent can go a few changes with the same washer without issue also.
To each their own. I'll never do that with a single use washer.

·
Registered
418 Posts
One of the several reasons I just use a Topsider and pump the oil out of the top. Never have to replace the washer, and I don't have to get under the car. When I end up doing my own oil at all that is, for now letting Brown's Subaru do it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
FWIW I never changed the crush washer on any of our Subarus. Not that it was the right thing to do I had just never dealt with it and none of my other cars had ever had a crush washer. Never had any leaks or problems either. The BRZ was under free service when we had it along with the Ascent. I'll be using it going forward but never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I did an oil change on my wife's Ascent and took off the drain plug, it didn't have a crush nut. Is this normal? I did put one in.

From my previous experience with my previous vehicles 08 forester and 16 Impreza, both had crush nuts.
Could it have stuck to the oil pan?
Also check the drain plug. Sometimes it's hard to see but the crush washer may need to be pried off of it.
Parts site shows there is supposed to be one. My oil change receipts show there was one installed each of my four oil changes. I second checking to make sure there isn't one smushed onto the oil pan or onto the drain plug.

• If either is the case (the original is stuck to pan or plug), then remove BOTH of them and replace with a new one and re-torque.
  • If neither is the case (there is only the one you installed), remove the one you put in, and replace with a new one and re-torque.

Obviously, having two isn't good. The reason you're replacing the one you installed (if there wasn't another) is because in removing the plug to check, you need to replace the crush ring. You shouldn't re-torque down on a used ring.

I took a look at it the oil pan, no crush nut when I emptied it and there appears to be like a crush nut on the screw but it looks like it's welded or part of it. Very strange..

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I vote for Fumoto valve no crush washer and easy oil changes!
one of my concerns about these valve is, what happens if you go off road and you hit something like a log or a rock that hits the valve? Would it damage the pan?

·
Registered
418 Posts
one of my concerns about these valve is, what happens if you go off road and you hit something like a log or a rock that hits the valve? Would it damage the pan?
I have never used a Fumoto valve, however I observed several folks raise the exact same concern on the Crosstrek forum regarding the valves, and out of all the Crosstrek folks using Fumotos and doing various and sundry offroad/softroad things I have never once heard of the valve getting accidentally opened in any way. I know that's not definitive evidence, but the users have always assured folks that the design of the valve along with the location of the ports make the risk of accidental opening very small. I know, based on what I've read from actual users, that if not for my use of a pump that lets me drain the oil from the engine bay, I would not hesitate to install and use a Fumoto valve. Hope this helps, although I'm sure more direct experiences will be related soon.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I took a look at it the oil pan, no crush nut when I emptied it and there appears to be like a crush nut on the screw but it looks like it's welded or part of it. Very strange..
That might be it. Can you tell if it's a different material than the screw? It might need to be pried off with a blade. Or keep it in the palm of your hand and slam it against a hard surface. It might break free. :smile:

·
Registered
597 Posts
The way the valve works is you need to pull against a spring and then twist. It isn't going to move by itself but they also have a plastic piece that fits around it to hold it in place just in case. Also with the Ascent the plug is high enough that it is behind the guard and doesn't poke out. I have a video of me installing it on YouTube you can check on the account in my signature.

I have never used a Fumoto valve, however I observed several folks raise the exact same concern on the Crosstrek forum regarding the valves, and out of all the Crosstrek folks using Fumotos and doing various and sundry offroad/softroad things I have never once heard of the valve getting accidentally opened in any way. I know that's not definitive evidence, but the users have always assured folks that the design of the valve along with the location of the ports make the risk of accidental opening very small. I know, based on what I've read from actual users, that if not for my use of a pump that lets me drain the oil from the engine bay, I would not hesitate to install and use a Fumoto valve. Hope this helps, although I'm sure more direct experiences will be related soon.

I had one on my Nissan Xterra for 13 years without a single issue and I took that to camp sites and through 9-12 inches of snow. The plug also was one of the lowest things in the car and didn't have any plates around it.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Really depends

Possibly. In most people's cases, they'll likely never see the problem. I specifically decided against it because I've dragged my oil pan on the beach and in the mud and am likely to have such an accident.

If I get metal skid plates, I am revisiting the decision.

·
Registered
672 Posts
https://orv.livejournal.com/327244.html

^ I've never annealed a copper crush-washer/gasket before, but I have re-used without doing so.

As that post noted, many times, you can get away with it. When I was young and forgetful and always in a rush, I often forgot to replace the crush washer. Eventually, you'll start to get a slow leak, but it's nothing that's going to strand you on the side of the road over the course of one OCI, even if you were completely oblivious to the fact that your parking spot sprouted a growing bloom of darkness.

RE: Fumoto and similar valves -

As with others, I've never had an issue, and this included 7 years on my '05 LGT, which was dropped pretty low. That car was also my DD, and it was taken on many range/class trips over gravel, mud, and dirt roads. I never had a problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To the OP - Its a crush washer, not a crush nut. A nut has female threads, so there is not even a nut. Also, its a drain plug, with male threads, which is a bolt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts