Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only has 1200 miles on the Ascent and problems always popping up. Went into the garage last week and heard a motor running under the rear tire area. Not sure how long that has been running, but it stopped after I started it. Then the dead battery issue on more than one occasion and no, the lift gate is never left open. And now, besides another dead battery a beeping sound from around the rear gate, like it's sending some kind of code. Of course it is Saturday night and a 4K road trip scheduled for 6 AM tomorrow. Grrrr

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Only has 1200 miles on the Ascent and problems always popping up. Went into the garage last week and heard a motor running under the rear tire area. Not sure how long that has been running, but it stopped after I started it. Then the dead battery issue on more than one occasion and no, the lift gate is never left open. And now, besides another dead battery a beeping sound from around the rear gate, like it's sending some kind of code. Of course it is Saturday night and a 4K road trip scheduled for 6 AM tomorrow. Grrrr
Good news is, it's likely an easy fix. Ask them to check what version lift gate controllers you have, and tell them that there's a TSB for a certain controller which, under the right conditions, could be related to your issue. Otherwise, I'd check the sensor strips around the door, or the detents.

What I said sounds simple, but it will take a bit for them to diagnose if it's a detent switch, pressure sensors or the lift gate controllers.

Once this is resolved, your battery drain issue will be as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The closest dealer is 100 miles from me, but if I can jump it in the morning I'm heading east to Pa (1500mi) and will hope to find a dealer that can give a quick diagnosis/fix. Appreciate your posts. I'll let you know what the results are.

·
Registered
118 Posts

If the "motor running under the rear tire area" is not the lift gate issue you are having, it could be the emissions pump in the rear that is supposed to run periodically, though you also do seem to have a problem with the lift gate with the beeping.

You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. However, this
does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the
fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The
noise will stop after approximately 15 minutes.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back from 4,300 road trip

Just finished my 4,300 mile road trip back east and must say I didn’t experience any problems, except for the very buggy navigation system. Plus not being able to manually input destinations when you have a passenger. I don’t like the way the hood fluttered in headwinds. I did adjust the hood posts, but haven’t put it to the test yet. The posts are very soft and not sure they would make that big of a difference. The mileage was better than I have previously experienced and well within the range of 26 mpg with 87 octane, but around the Texas panhandle where I live you can only get 86 octane. Never did make it to a dealer with the battery and tailgate issues. Didn’t experience any insight issues as I have read on this forum. Yes it shuts off from time to time, but only when it lost the road when the lines were non existent or at entrance/exit ramps and direct sunlight into the cameras. The adaptive cruise control worked very well. That is if you don’t mind getting behind someone that is going slower than your settings and you never noticed it because it was so gentle at slowing down. There needs to be some tweaking on the navigation system, dim rear cargo light, front assist handles for getting in the vehicle I believe are in the wrong position, should be more forward and then there is the inability to turn on all interior lights with a switch by the driver. There is always an opportunity to find things wrong with anything, but so far we have really enjoyed our Ascent Touring and that is really why we bought it....for touring. ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts